Bayou Place: Entertainment Development At 500 Texas St.

houstonsemipro

I understand your point about the amusement aspects of their projects, I dislike the Disneyfication of a lot of town center type developments, but that is what Cordish is known for and this is supposed to be an amusement type property. You might as well make the project what it is intended to be. If by class you mean deserted with a constantly rotating roster of tenants, then you're right, Bayou Place does have class.

I'd rather have Disneyfication than vacant space.

Why does it ***SEEM*** that projects in downtown Houston dont seem to prosper? Ive seen so many clubs and resturaunts shut down there. Is it that people in Houston dont want to go (or even live) downtown or what?

I think it is because of lack of residents living in downtown, hopefully this will change with the finger development and pavilion residents and more residents in uptown and the museum district.

It can also be because people in an around the city don't know anything about downtown hopefully this will change with the new park and Houston Pavilions. I have friends that never been to downtown or haven't been to downtown in a long time, some have a misguided notion that it is dirty and crime filled.....I'm usaully the one walking friends and family members around enlightening them. The reaction is usaully "wow I did not know that" or "it's changed since the 80's"

As for clubs and restruants. Clubs come and go thats the biz. Restruants do too if the food or service sucks. I would like to see downtown add more businesses other than clubs and restruants, clothing stores electronic, super market ect. to make it more appealing to visit and live. This is why we're cheering for AA and the pavilions and such to open.

My prediction is about a year max from the pavilions and park opening, downtown will be a much bigger attractiion to everyone ;)

I think it is because of lack of residents living in downtown, hopefully this will change with the finger development and pavilion residents and more residents in uptown and the museum district.

It can also be because people in an around the city don't know anything about downtown hopefully this will change with the new park and Houston Pavilions. I have friends that never been to downtown or haven't been to downtown in a long time, some have a misguided notion that it is dirty and crime filled.....I'm usaully the one walking friends and family members around enlightening them. The reaction is usaully "wow I did not know that" or "it's changed since the 80's"

As for clubs and restruants. Clubs come and go thats the biz. Restruants do too if the food or service sucks. I would like to see downtown add more businesses other than clubs and restruants, clothing stores electronic, super market ect. to make it more appealing to visit and live. This is why we're cheering for AA and the pavilions and such to open.

My prediction is about a year max from the pavilions and park opening, downtown will be a much bigger attractiion to everyone ;)

That sounds like a logical reason. BTW, what is "AA"?

As for clubs and restruants. Clubs come and go thats the biz.

HII nailed this one but I would add that this is even more true of night clubs. You're talking about a trend/fad-dominated industry. Just because a club is hot today doesn't mean it'll be hot tomorrow or next year. For example, a lot of Hip-Hop (and the clubs that feature it) in Houston is dominated by "Screw" but it probably won't last, and the type of club that would play that type of music will either change with the times or close shop.

The good news is that it seems many of the clubs downtown have developed regenerative qualities in that if one closes at a particular location, someone else eventually arrives at the same location to try a different theme with different little touches. That said, there are still quite a few reliable spots that seem to be oblivious to the so-called fickled nature of night clubs such as the Mercury Room, Boaka Bar and M Bar. It's good to have a core of longstanding establishments, even within the club scene.

However, as far as DT nightlife overall, what I'd like to see, and which has been expressed by others, is the continued emergence of mature establishments that are more of the bar & grill variety, with less emphasis on hip and trendy cliches and more emphasis on the age old desire of just hanging out and having a good meal.

I think HP has a chance to be the southern anchor for this type of activity on Main Street. We shall see.

Oh, and yes there's a Randall's about two blocks south of the Pierce (I-45) Elevated. Fairly brand new with an upstairs patio and some other nice touches. The selection of goods is a bit disappointing, IMO, but the deli isn't bad and they're doing a pretty good job of keeping it clean--even the bus stop on Louisiana next to it seems to be less afflicted by litter than say a year or so ago.

a good bookstore. one with a coffee shop/cafe...open late with lounge area would do really well downtown I think. yes, very yuppy, but I would shop there/ sneak away from work to go there/ go after a movie or dinner. especially if they reimburse parking like angelika.

Oh, ok. I was in downtown Houston in 2003 or 2004 and I seem to remember someting like a Randalls down there. Is it still there or am I insane because people on here keep saying downtown needs a grocery store.

You are not insane. There is a Randall's in Midtown. It is close to downtown, but not walking distance close if you live in the heart of Downtown.

a good bookstore. one with a coffee shop/cafe...open late with lounge area would do really well downtown I think. yes, very yuppy, but I would shop there/ sneak away from work to go there/ go after a movie or dinner. especially if they reimburse parking like angelika.

I have been saying for years that Downtown needs a happening Strip Club. I know they are considered seedy and what not, but a Treasures or Men's Club downtown would be killer.

I am married and do not hit those clubs much any more but I am sticking with my idea. It would bring traffic and would give businessmen a reason to stay downtown after work / Astros / Rockets games.

I am not neccessarily thinking it has to be located in Bayou Place.

I have been saying for years that Downtown needs a happening Strip Club. I know they are considered seedy and what not, but a Treasures or Men's Club downtown would be killer.

I am married and do not hit those clubs much any more but I am sticking with my idea. It would bring traffic and would give businessmen a reason to stay downtown after work / Astros / Rockets games.

I am not neccessarily thinking it has to be located in Bayou Place.

Yeah that would be great. The building could be decorated with a lot of tacky neon lights and would have valet parking in front. Oh wait, the Aquarium already has both.

How about tear down the Albert Thomas and replace with a world class symphony hall. In the neighborhood of half a bil.

Better than replacing Jones Hall, replace the Wortham with something world-class.

I think it's a safe bet that the neighbors (Federal Court, Aquarium, Hobby, Wortham, BoA, Jones Hall) wouldn't be terribly happy with a topless joint going in Bayou Place, and would scream bloody murder to prevent it.

Better than replacing Jones Hall, replace the Wortham with something world-class.

I think it's a safe bet that the neighbors (Federal Court, Aquarium, Hobby, Wortham, BoA, Jones Hall) wouldn't be terribly happy with a topless joint going in Bayou Place, and would scream bloody murder to prevent it.

Yeah, you are right. Maybe put the topless joint down by the stadiums.

On the strip club thing - I'm not advocating it would go in anywhere close to the theatre district, nor do I think its the thing downtown is really, really missing.

However, I will say I am surprised there is not one downtown because there are so many business travelers that come in, this is Houston, and most cities tend to have at least one in the close in downtown area - I know DC does because I happened to go there once (uh, because someone made me, yeah that's it).

Not a high priority by any means, I'm more saying I'm surprised there isn't one.

On the strip club thing - I'm not advocating it would go in anywhere close to the theatre district, nor do I think its the thing downtown is really, really missing.

However, I will say I am surprised there is not one downtown because there are so many business travelers that come in, this is Houston, and most cities tend to have at least one in the close in downtown area - I know DC does because I happened to go there once (uh, because someone made me, yeah that's it).

Not a high priority by any means, I'm more saying I'm surprised there isn't one.

Agree, not a high priority by any means. I am sure the Downtown District is not out wooing stip club owners. I guess I too am a little suprised there is not one. When I lived in Midtown and was a swinging single I probably would have hit a downtown strip club instead of heading to the Galleria area.

kind of like mary's in portland (although it has been around forever and has an interesting past :D )

so that being said, i think we missed the boat on having something really classy ^_^

hellooo skankification!

Strip clubs are for losers. That is the last thing we need downtown.

Remember there USED to be strips clubs downtown. For instance, Warren's Inn used to be a strip club prior to Warren buying it when he was forced out of his old Warren's across Market Square. The gazebo where the dancers performed is still there.

Remember there USED to be strips clubs downtown. For instance, Warren's Inn used to be a strip club prior to Warren buying it when he was forced out of his old Warren's across Market Square. The gazebo where the dancers performed is still there.

I did not know that bit of history.

I always wondered why I feel compelled to get nekkid when I'm in that gazebo. I thought it was just the $%#@ing strong a$$ drinks they pour there! :lol:

I did not know that bit of history.

I always wondered why I feel compelled to get nekkid when I'm in that gazebo. I thought it was just the $%#@ing strong a$$ drinks they pour there! :lol:

I love Warren's. We used to hit that place once a month or so. I once hooked up with a girl in the gazebo. I was really drunk and she was sort of a big woman. In fact my buddies named her the "beastmaster." Since she was freinds with a buddies girlfriend I was forced to see her again and again.

Oh to be young.

This post has totally been hyjacked. I take full blame for that. > :) > :) > :)

Back to the regular post. What about a Bowling Alley in the Bayou Place. I think that would bring in some folks. :)