Bayou Place: Entertainment Development At 500 Texas St.

houstonsemipro

Agree with Woolie - this theatre is the best - the food is realy good - drinks are very good - $5 shiner tall boys - yes X2

Love having a theatre within short cab/ walking distance -

We have been about 8-10 times now - both during week and weekends. I think its doing pretty well - wish it and R.R. the best.

It's about time someone brought back the good ole' hi-volume, low-cost meat market. There's a whole new generation of 20 something office types who may now get to experience the joy of $3 wells and hundreds of potential uh, love matches all under the same convenient roof.

ahhh....I can hear the extended club mix of Blue Monday like it was yesterday.

That version of Blue Monday you always hear in the club IS the original version.. all 7 mins and 42 seconds of it. There is no extended club mix. There are but they're horrible. No one plays it

• 3 years later...

elnina999 has added a photo to the pool:

Bayou Place Houston, TX

Bayou Place is an entertainment complex that houses multiple theaters, bars, and restaurants located in Downtown Houston, Texas. The complex was the former Albert Thomas convention center located in the Houston Theater District at 500 Texas Street (originally built in the late 1960s).

Click here to view this photo at the HAIF Photo Pool on Flickr

• 5 years later...

I drove past Bayou Place last night, it looks like The Blue Fish might be closed permanently.  Not sure about the status of Napoli.  Assuming AMC survives and Revention rebounds, maybe there is hope for this place.  I think a dream scenario would be to tear it all down and connect Jones Plaza, Tranquility Park, and Buffalo Bayou with park space.  Expensive wishful thinking.   

2 hours ago, ttuchris said:

I drove past Bayou Place last night, it looks like The Blue Fish might be closed permanently.  Not sure about the status of Napoli.  Assuming AMC survives and Revention rebounds, maybe there is hope for this place.  I think a dream scenario would be to tear it all down and connect Jones Plaza, Tranquility Park, and Buffalo Bayou with park space.  Expensive wishful thinking.   

The Theater District Master Plan calls for the replacement of Bayou Place with three blocks of entertainment venues and mixed used developments.   Theater District Master Plan

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Proactive Development At Bayou Place
  • 8 months later...

Those look like outdated plans…. If any performing arts venue needs a remodel it is the Wortham Cullen Theater.  It’s a shame the hall has such good acoustics but the seating in the balconies is terrible (I,e., bad sight lines, super steep angles, compressed leg room, ugly guard rails).  The Founders Boxes are worth the money just to avoid the aggravation.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

the place is rife for something to happen. I went to the Skinny Puppy show a few weeks ago, which was only moved here from HOB because I think they needed a bigger venue.

but yeah, just a sad state. just this music venue and Sundance (whatever they call it now) movie theater. I struggled to find somewhere to pregame before the show, so I was stuck with movie theater booze (which pours just as well as any bar, I guess, just not the atmosphere I was going for).

anyway, I'd guess the movie theater is struggling to find reasons to stay considering how not busy they were on a Friday night, and no restaurants to speak of. I will eventually miss that movie theater though, super easy to get tickets for anything, and in prime seats even on opening night.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about this a lot recently because I've been riding my bike on the Bagby Promenade to work.

Redeveloping Bayou Place would do so much for this side of downtown. As it stands, the building is essentially closed off on 3 sides for a total of 5 blocks and the equivalent of 2 blocks along the Bayou path, creates a sketchy overpass on one block, creates a very sketchy and ugly 2 block stretch on the bayou path, and has an outdated and uninviting setback at the main entrance. They could completely transform the Theater District by tearing down that eye-sore, building some new and exciting architecture with ground floor retail, glass, lobbies, atriums, etc. on all sides, and incorporating the bayou into the plans, instead of completely turning their back on it. The building also completely visually cuts off the Hobby Center, tranquility park, and little tranquility park from the rest of the Theater District. If you're standing out front of the Hobby Center, you don't think "the rest of the Theater District is that direction" because all you can see is a bunch of loading docks. 

Those Ziegler Cooper plans look infinitely nicer, even if they're not perfect. Maybe something will be announced after Lynn Wyatt Square opens and gets a lot of foot traffic, but I'm not going to hold my breath

• Like 3

6 hours ago, samagon said:

the place is rife for something to happen. I went to the Skinny Puppy show a few weeks ago, which was only moved here from HOB because I think they needed a bigger venue.

but yeah, just a sad state. just this music venue and Sundance (whatever they call it now) movie theater. I struggled to find somewhere to pregame before the show, so I was stuck with movie theater booze (which pours just as well as any bar, I guess, just not the atmosphere I was going for).

anyway, I'd guess the movie theater is struggling to find reasons to stay considering how not busy they were on a Friday night, and no restaurants to speak of. I will eventually miss that movie theater though, super easy to get tickets for anything, and in prime seats even on opening night.

The theater is closing or are you saying once things redevelop? 

• The title was changed to Bayou Place: Entertainment Development At 500 Texas St.