Bayou Place: Entertainment Development At 500 Texas St.

houstonsemipro

Hey what is going on at the Western portion of the old Albert Thomas Convention Center? It looks like they have taken down the exterior walls. There was some discussion that a high rise residential facility would be built but it does not look like that is happening.

Hey, I'm 45 and I still wouldn't be over there.  I'm going where the attractive women are.

My point was that with the theatre district right there surrounding Bayou Place, it would seem that venues that compliment the theatre would have worked better there.

I am not advocating restricting the type of venue.  I just thought that some of these restaurant and bar types would have recognized that and adapted the venues to the type of crowd that frequents that area.

That space would make for a great bowling alley. Just think of the babes that would draw in.

• 4 months later...

I seem to remember this being a past topic, but I couldn't find it. Nevertheless, does anyone know who and/or what is moving into the previously vacant section of Bayou Place?

As many of you have probably seen, they have gutted the building and have taken out most of the external walls, which I guess will be replaced with glass. It looks like an excellent place for an office.

Also, I finally put an icon on my personal profile, and I wanted to see it.

As I recall, the space was originally intended to be developed like Bayou Place Phase I. However, I thought I read something in the Business Journal that it was going to be used primarily as office space. I don't have the article.

Personally, I was hoping something along the lines of an ESPN Zone or something was going to move in. I guess not.

As I recall, the space was originally intended to be developed like Bayou Place Phase I. However, I thought I read something in the Business Journal that it was going to be used primarily as office space. I don't have the article.

Personally, I was hoping something along the lines of an ESPN Zone or something was going to move in. I guess not.

Yeah it was a previous thread

and it's primary use will be used for office space

Personally I was hoping that the west wing would be raised and another theater complex built- a new symphony hall?- perhaps with an outdoor concert pavillion over looking Buffalo Bayou.

Also, something must be done along the entire southern facade of Bayou Place, as well as Bagby St., that would help to tie in Hobby Center into the rest of the District.

Personally I was hoping that the west wing would be raised and another theater complex built- a new symphony hall?- perhaps with an outdoor concert pavillion over looking Buffalo Bayou.

Also, something must be done along the entire southern facade of Bayou Place, as well as Bagby St., that would help to tie in Hobby Center into the rest of the District.

I agree that a new symphony hall is needed but I don't see it anytime soon. That damn federal building needs torn down. That would help the area more than anything.

As for an outdoor venue along the bayou. I don't think the freeway would help with the noise. I suppose they could put the freeway underground, a la Boston's Big Dig.

I agree that a new symphony hall is needed but I don't see it anytime soon. That damn federal building needs torn down. That would help the area more than anything.

As for an outdoor venue along the bayou. I don't think the freeway would help with the noise. I suppose they could put the freeway underground, a la Boston's Big Dig.

I agree with you about the look of the federal building. It was authorized for construction during the Kennedy Administration. I worked there last summer, and I was told that it was designed like that to be able to withstand an attack from the Russians. It is crazy; the court rooms are nice, but the ones on the lower levels have random columns in the middle of the room. Again, their there to be able to hold the building up after a bomb or something.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

well it aint ugly, i kinda like it, not everything can beall glamour, some things just have to be what they are, its better than nothing, i like how the it sits along the bayou, we can all wish for things, but until we love houston for what it is and what its to become we will never be pleased, lets just realize the city is building in the right direction for once, more urban not suburban

• 1 month later...

I was just wondering if anybody knows anything about any new possible tenants to take up the vacated space left by BAR Houston and Have a Nice Day Cafe? Is there anything in the works? I have a few ideas of the types of places I think might be successful in that location.

*Wine Bar/Cigar Shop (catering to the theater crowd)

*Jazz Club

*Comedy Club

*How about a dueling piano bar? DT doesn't have one of those yet.

*A popular restaurant like Pappasitos or Chili's/Bennigans

Any thoughts?

P.S. I noticed that the last few times I was at the Angelika that their cafe/bar appears to be shut down.

I wouldn't say that this is exactly a pipe dream thread. There is vacant space in Bayou Place, right? It will probably just be leased by none of the above. I just listed a few ideas that I thought would inject some new life into Bayou Place. Someone a while back said something about a Pancho's Mexican Buffet was going to open a location in Bayou Place. Is that just a rumor or is something actually going to happen there?

Someone a while back said something about a Pancho's Mexican Buffet was going to open a location in Bayou Place. Is that just a rumor or is something actually going to happen there?

God, I hope not.

I do think a comedy club would be great, along with other restaurants.

I hope Cordish gets rid of the lease they hold from the city. Overall the projects the company has done have been outstanding, not so much in Houston. Browse their website and see how Houston got screwed.

Cordish

I actually kind of like that Bayou Place has more class than the other Cordish developments--they all kind of look like amusements to me....although they'd compliment Aquarium, I'm just not a fan of that kind of development.

Bayou Place never quite "took off" like everyone said it would. How many of the former restaurants are now closed? I stoppeg going to Angelika because I would smell like barbecue coming from the Harlon's. Moving the Hard Rock there is probably one reason they are hanging on. Not my type of place either though. All hte restaurants they've had there are mediocre at best.

I actually kind of like that Bayou Place has more class than the other Cordish developments--they all kind of look like amusements to me....although they'd compliment Aquarium, I'm just not a fan of that kind of development.

I understand your point about the amusement aspects of their projects, I dislike the Disneyfication of a lot of town center type developments, but that is what Cordish is known for and this is supposed to be an amusement type property. You might as well make the project what it is intended to be. If by class you mean deserted with a constantly rotating roster of tenants, then you're right, Bayou Place does have class.

Edited by SMUrban