Houston19514

In small bits and pieces, it's pretty cool, but overall, it's a bit... eery. Just seems so futuristic, but not in a cool kinda way, but rather in a "we're all going to be slaves to our corporate overlords" type of way. Good news, if fossil fuels die out and XOM hasn't changed enough to keep up with its peers, it could easily become a prison.

• Like 2

In all honesty, the bulk of the campus buildings look like most of the newer buildings being built on the UH campus, with the exception being that floating gateway section.

We are all entitled to our opinions, but I have to severely disagree that these are similar to UH's.

I'm going to stand by it.  The buildings remind me of the Health & Biomedical Sciences Building, Calhoun Lofts, the Science Teaching Laboratory building, a little of Cougar Village and also Cougar Place.  They all tend to be hulking, 4-7 story rectangular buildings with neutral coloration and large sections of large-pane glass and metal trim.  I'm not speaking as an architect, but a casual observer.  This is what these buildings remind me of.  We'll see what it all looks like when the Exxon complex comes together.  The difference looks to be more glass siding at Exxon, and a commie-block/housing project vibe to the complex.

Edited by The Pragmatist
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

I spoke with someone I know that works for Exxon and will be moving to the Hughes Landing building. He said not many people are happy about moving north since many will now have longer commutes. He also didn't seem to know much about the Grand Parkway's location or expected opening. I'm surprised Exxon didn't inform them of that.

Grass in the painted green sections of the garage roofs would of been awesome.. Solar panels would of worked on top of practically every building in the campus (aren't all the buildings flat roofed).. It would of been a nice nod towards alternate energy having a major oil company (partially at least) power it's new campus with solar panels.. Too bad.

• Like 1

Grass in the painted green sections of the garage roofs would of been awesome.. Solar panels would of worked on top of practically every building in the campus (aren't all the buildings flat roofed).. It would of been a nice nod towards alternate energy having a major oil company (partially at least) power it's new campus with solar panels.. Too bad.

The Whole campus is such a waste. The buildings look like commie blocks, and it wouldn't be special if it weren't for the "gateway" building. But, I guess I should wait until the finished project to be so harsh on it.

• Like 1

A travesty. I think it would have been quite the stir had they built this in midtown.

They would have claimed most of midtown. We might even have had to change the name from midtown to simply: Exxon City, Houston.

Now THAT would've been awesome. Seeing one company claim all of midtown Houston. With all those buildings? Awesome.

Midtown is a lot bigger than you think.

The buildings on that campus takes up less than 1500 feet by 1000 feet. That's only about 4 by 3 midtown blocks. Midtown is about 20 blocks by 15 blocks.

It would be the largest thing in midtown, but it would still only occupy less than a 10th of midtown. It would fit in that area between 45, 59, McGowan and Labranch

Wow, there are 16 tower cranes at the Exxon site? I saw a lot but didn't realize there were that many..

Will you ever be able to drive closer to the Exxon site than the current temporary gate/guard shack they have set up at the intersection just down the road from the 45 feeder road? I was hoping to get closer to snap a picture of that awesome cantilevered square floating above the entrance..

A travesty. I think it would have been quite the stir had they built this in midtown.

They would have claimed most of midtown. We might even have had to change the name from midtown to simply: Exxon City, Houston.

Now THAT would've been awesome. Seeing one company claim all of midtown Houston. With all those buildings? Awesome.

Exxon City.  I like that.

Even where they are now they should pull a few strings and get their own post office.  Exxon City, Texas.