Houston19514

• 6 months later...

Eh, this project bores me.

Humble Oil used to be such a big player in the city. Hate to see Exxon fleeing to the burbs. Oh well, Exxon has always been seen as being ultra conservative and behind the curve (even in the oil biz). 

However, I can't help but think about how much this city would be buzzing if this campus was being built on the old Halliburton site or, even better, in SE downtown near their current tower. Think "what if?" about the idea of Chevron and Exxon both building urban campuses in the heart of the city...

• Like 1

Humble Oil used to be such a big player in the city. Hate to see Exxon fleeing to the burbs. Oh well, Exxon has always been seen as being ultra conservative and behind the curve (even in the oil biz).

However, I can't help but think about how much this city would be buzzing if this campus was being built on the old Halliburton site or, even better, in SE downtown near their current tower. Think "what if?" about the idea of Chevron and Exxon both building urban campuses in the heart of the city...

Don't depress us :P

From a personal standpoint, I couldn't think of a better location. Property values in The Woodlands/Oak Ridge/Spring are going to skyrocket....especially with Anadarko putting up a new tower and other companies expanding in the region. I think it's time to face fact that The Woodlands (or any area in north Harris or south Montgomery counties) is just as much a part of Houston as the energy corridor or Westchase. 

The KBR site is a third the size and harder to get to. That was never going to happen.

• 4 weeks later...

If you look closely at the concrete roof cap on the three garages you will see what will eventually be a scaled image of Google Earth view of Galveston Bay, Ship Channel, and I think the Galveston Causeway.  It's a clear coating with colored silica and quartz embedded that make the color pattern.  Absolutely tedious work.  The cost is incredible, as you can imagine.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I agree - ideally it would have been like when Sears wanted to relocate to the Chicago suburbs in the late 60's, and Mayor Daley convinced them to instead build the world's tallest building downtown.

BUT, had Exxon built a campus in south downtown, it very likely could have turned into something like the GM death star in Detroit, a self-contained fortress that kills urbanity.  Exxon is very concerned about security, and likely wouldn't have wanted an inviting array of pedestrian walkways and gathering spots open to the world.  

Worst, anything they built would have greatly driven up land prices and prevented the residential developments we hope to see fill south downtown.  The best thing that area has going for it right now is that there are no tunnels, no class A buildings (east of Louisiana), and so the land isn't priced for skyscrapers only.

• Like 2

If you look closely at the concrete roof cap on the three garages you will see what will eventually be a scaled image of Google Earth view of Galveston Bay, Ship Channel, and I think the Galveston Causeway.  It's a clear coating with colored silica and quartz embedded that make the color pattern.  Absolutely tedious work.  The cost is incredible, as you can imagine.

Oh yeah! I totally overlooked it until I read your post. Pretty sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought this was interesting news from the construction site, per bisnow...

No Major Injuries Here

Exxon-safety.jpg
Business Wire

ExxonMobil recently celebrated 7 million work hours without work-loss injuries on its new campus. Above, members of the Gilbane-Harvey/ExxonMobil team show off their accomplishment on top of the campus' first completed parking garage. (Either that or it's a really poorly thought-out ransom note.) It's particularly impressive given the fast pace of development; nearly 20 buildings are in various phases of construction. About 3,000 workers are on site daily, and the project's injury incidence rate is one-sixth of the industry average.

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

A nice rendering of a park that's suppose to be in the Exxon Mobil Campus.

Swamplot: http://swamplot.com/the-natural-spaces-being-built-into-the-exxonmobil-campus/2013-08-14/

g4vUJeK.jpg

Houston Chronicle: Exxon Mobile Campus Construction Pictures:

Link: http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/08/exxon-mobil-shows-off-its-new-campus-to-investors/#14946-4

aOsGgW1.jpg

oVcvL4p.jpg

Edited by TowerSpotter