The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Yeah, I know that.  But the post to which I responded was counting up the total of all buildings (not just residential) over 400'

Shouldn’t 609 Main be included as well…?  🤔 

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

Yes.  I was wondering that, but the list called out buildings taller than 400’ post-2015 onward and it was not included.  And I think 609 would be one of the only commercial towers built in that time frame aside from Texas Tower that is 400’+, BG Group was pre-‘15, and only BHP Tower would be close to that threshold if I’m not mistaken?  

Wasn’t certain.  Maybe I missed the forest for the trees?

56 minutes ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

The post said "apartment towers under construction."

Yes, but then it states that in 1960 Houston had 2 buildings.  Neither were apartments/residential buildings.  Also, the other  60+ buildings aren’t all residential.  So the assumption was @pacarlson was also mentioning ALL buildings over 400’ ?

Edited by arche_757

14 hours ago, arche_757 said:

Yes, but then it states that in 1960 Houston had 2 buildings.  Neither were apartments/residential buildings.  Also, the other  60+ buildings aren’t all residential.  So the assumption was @pacarlson was also mentioning ALL buildings over 400’ ?

seems like there are 3 individual statements.

the number of residential buildings >400' currently under construction.

the number of residential buildings >400' that were under construction from 2015 to current.

perspective for any building >400' in Houston.

then at the end of the final statement, only the residential buildings currently under construction are included, when the statement seemed to be about any building >400'.

anyway, point taken is that Houston has grown a lot over the previous 60 years, irrespective of what currently being built building might have been left out of the count.

I know Gillette is the thru street… it would have been a boon for this development (and area) if the developers could have bought the land all the way to West Dallas.  I wonder if there is any long term thinking on possibly buying that last parcel(s)?   Perhaps a little more mixed used will continue to inch along on West Dallas in the next few years?

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, arche_757 said:

I know Gillette is the thru street… it would have been a boon for this development (and area) if the developers could have bought the land all the way to West Dallas.  I wonder if there is any long term thinking on possibly buying that last parcel(s)?   Perhaps a little more mixed used will continue to inch along on West Dallas in the next few years?

What Parcel? They own all the land available all the way to the apartments Tinsely on the Park. which front West Dallas. Tinsley on the Park was built within the last decade I believe so I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Fortune said:

What Parcel? They own all the land available all the way to the apartments Tinsely on the Park. which front West Dallas. Tinsley on the Park was built within the last decade I believe so I don't see them going anywhere anytime soon. 

That is the property I am referring to - please excuse my lazy real estate terminology.  Yes, I realize these are newer apartments and it is highly unlikely these will be torn down and redeveloped.  My point was it would have been better for development of this project to continue all the way to West Dallas.  I’m just thinking out loud…

Edited by arche_757
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what is happening with the Pavilion?  It seems like there's been little to no construction progress there for some time.

there are 3 items that are wreaking havoc on construction schedules right now: mineral wool insulation, metal decking, and roof insulation.  Looks like they need all 3 on the little building....  My guess is that they got pinched on schedule and will get to it when they get their materials.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1