Big Tex Storage At 4503 Montrose Blvd.

lockmat

I'm curious what the real reason for the sudden appearance of the multi-story, indoor self storage facility is? Are people storing more things that ever? Is something changing in that industry where these big bois are replacing smaller facilities? Are there new government regulations or insurance requirements that favor these over the rows of little metal barns with the rolling doors?

40 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

Amazon must be creating hoarders everywhere or else these places house the mattresses for the mattress places on every third block. 

You know that makes me think, maybe people who resell stuff online use these places?

I can see in the near future, a gig economy delivery contractor would use a storage unit as a temporary warehouse if it didn't all fit on the truck. And I know that field service technicians who repair things like copy machines are sometimes partially independent and they don't have an office or work for a place with a local warehouse or shop, instead they get equipment dropped off at a UPS store or something like that and then go out to customers in a certain territory.

Edited by zaphod
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, LBC2HTX said:

It’s not that complicated. The metal barns with rolling doors require more land. Land in the city is expensive. People in the city require storage for their junk, just the same as suburbanites.

Also, the rows of metal barns aren't climate-controlled, nor are they typically elevated above ground level. Depending on what is being stored, both of those things can be significant issues in a flood-prone city with brutal summers that last half the year. 

Today’s Planning Commission meeting is obviously cancelled due to weather, but can anyone help me understand how the meeting cancellation impacts this proposed project?

See the following actions taken for the February 18 agenda:

Item I and II: Deferred until next meeting of March 4th.

Items III a, b, c, d, e, f (except items that have been deferred twice): Deferred until March 4th. Items that have been deferred twice will be deemed approved or disapproved, based on the CPC 101 conditions.

Items III g, h and i: Deemed Approved.

Item IV Establishing New Public Hearings: Not established for the projected date of March 18, but will likely be established at the March 4 meeting for April 1.

SOURCE: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/commiss_plan.html

AGENDA:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/docs_pdfs/PCcover_02.18.21.pdf

1 hour ago, clutchcity94 said:

Today’s Planning Commission meeting is obviously cancelled due to weather, but can anyone help me understand how the meeting cancellation impacts this proposed project?

SOURCE: http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/commiss_plan.html

AGENDA:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/Commissions/docs_pdfs/PCcover_02.18.21.pdf

My read is that the request for variance will be taken up at the March 4th meeting, as it would fall under Item III a-f, and I don’t believe there has been any prior deferral.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Is THIS considered a TOD thoroughfare? From the site plan it looks like parking is behind the office, which is good. 

Yes, but it is secondary, so it is opt-in. I think that some of these will change to primary when the station is actually built. 

AanAvqk.png

Just now, kennyc05 said:

Does anyone know if any other neighborhoods in the city signed up for the walkable places ordinance besides the pilot areas? 

No, but it took them a long time to even get the application out. The city can still initiate the process themselves but they haven't done that either. 

Also, I know where your mind is going with this, and yes Montrose and Westheimer should be in the WP program :)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kennyc05 said:

Does anyone know if any other neighborhoods in the city signed up for the walkable places ordinance besides the pilot areas? 

This came up when the Museum district people were fighting the walkable and transit oriented ordinances' applications to the area. As @wilcal mentions, no one has and it is indeed due to the fact that they hadn't even put together the application process as of August of last year. And the process will take time because to get areas to sign up, it sounded like the city will be sending reps to the neighborhoods to garner interest and actual sign ups.

During the Museum district hearings there were 2-4 (can't remember) developers who showed up to advocate for neighborhoods to sign up, so it seems the business interests at least in part aligns with the city's interests. 

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Big Tex Self Storage Montrose: 6-Story Storage At 4503 Montrose Blvd.
  • The title was changed to Big Tex Storage Montrose: 6-Story Storage At 4503 Montrose Blvd.
  • 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

This city man smh 

Everyone on this forum has such amazing ideas I don't know why they don't go get an investment loan with 20% down and make their visions a reality lol. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...