Big Tex Storage At 4503 Montrose Blvd.

lockmat

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pardon my ignorance on this, I haven’t been following this thread. Is this really being built… a self-storage on Montrose next to the bridge? Honestly, this is the kind of thing that happens so often in Houston and makes me feel more a more like giving up on my hometown. 😩

NEVER MIND! I didn’t make it to the last page.  I see it’s already there! 

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2022 at 2:38 PM, MidCenturyMoldy said:

HOLY CR@P! 

Sometimes I think Houston developers should be officially designated “domestic terrorists.”

It's really not that bad and plus you want this located along the freeway because it acts as a natural noise buffer. This is def not the only place you see this though. There's really nothing special about how Houston builds other than it combines all forms of residential as one group and commercial as another with no sub groups like in traditional zoning. Houston let's the market and the developer determine what get's built and it's actually created neighborhoods that make more sense and are more organic than over regulated neighborhoods in other cities. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It's really not that bad and plus you want this located along the freeway because it acts as a natural noise buffer. This is def not the only place you see this though. There's really nothing special about how Houston builds other than it combines all forms of residential as one group and commercial as another with no sub groups like in traditional zoning. Houston let's the market and the developer determine what get's built and it's actually created neighborhoods that make more sense and are more organic than over regulated neighborhoods in other cities. 

I do think it’ll look better when they actually finish construction, fix the sidewalks, hopefully plant some trees, etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

There's really nothing special about how Houston builds other than it combines all forms of residential as one group and commercial as another with no sub groups like in traditional zoning. Houston let's the market and the developer determine what get's built and it's actually created neighborhoods that make more sense and are more organic than over regulated neighborhoods in other cities. 

😄 Yeah, I've heard that schpiel before. Listen, much as I'm loathe to admit it, I'm an old-timer Houstonian. The old-timer part is what I don't like admitting. My earliest memory of my hometown is when we moved back in 1962.

Rome is organic. Houston is a mess. But, like the drunken mess of an uncle who looks and sounds like Bill the Cat,52515153841_7000efa753_m.jpg

it's our mess and we love it. Most of the time. Some of the time. Sort of. 

OK, we know where to find the good stuff and love the food. And it's getting better. Except for that cr@ppy corrugated metal storage box.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I doubt it. Which is a good reason not to put any of them directly on Montrose Blvd.

Unpopular opinion: this is nowhere near the worst thing about Montrose Boulevard.

Not saying I like the building, and of course Montrose overall is a good example of light, moderately walkable urbanism. But Montrose Boulevard itself is a stroady, car-centric mess, and there are a lot of issues with it that should probably take priority over aesthetic preciousness.

35 minutes ago, 004n063 said:

Unpopular opinion: this is nowhere near the worst thing about Montrose Boulevard.

Not saying I like the building, and of course Montrose overall is a good example of light, moderately walkable urbanism. But Montrose Boulevard itself is a stroady, car-centric mess, and there are a lot of issues with it that should probably take priority over aesthetic preciousness.

Give me Montrose Blvd over Kirby Drive any day of the week.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, clutchcity94 said:

Give me Montrose Blvd over Kirby Drive any day of the week.

12 hours ago, 004n063 said:

Oh for sure. Post Oak, too. Basically a highway with urban window dressing.

So, you guys are essentially arguing that Montrose and Kirby should be rebuilt to be one lane each way with a turn lane in the middle? If so, how do people get from the Medical Center to, say, the Heights? Every city has main streets that are 2 or 3 lanes each direction and move lots of traffic from one part of town to another.

• Like 1