The Houston Chronicle Newspaper

jtmbin

Yeah I don't know. The view from the other side is much better, I just shot this out of my car window heading eastbound so I didn't have a chance to get the other side.

they should have allowed room for a wider sidewalk or at least a little plant buffer. from your photo, i can't tell if the gallery portion will have seating or just be a sidewalk.

It sort of looks like there will be shade over the sidewalk but I can't tell for sure. That's one thing that's key in my opinion to pedestrian oriented development in this climate. Either that or big trees. Rice does a great job of that. So many archway type things that you can walk under to get places, and so many trees as well. Also, in downtown the tall buildings provide a lot of shade. But on Westheimer, you have to hope that they build an awning or some sort of covering to give you shade while you walk. It makes a huge difference in the summer. In my opinion that makes walking tolerable - at least when you're dressed right.

I guess the problem in Houston though is lack of consistency. This building might have sufficient shade, but walking along the sidewalk past the gas station across the street sure doesn't.

Edited by Jax

with the south facing view it has i doubt it.....it will be quite sunny. definitely no room for trees.

It looked like there was some kind of overhang over the sidewalk, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's just over the shop entrances. They could still possibly install some sort of awning.

It looked like there was some kind of overhang over the sidewalk, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's just over the shop entrances. They could still possibly install some sort of awning.

the overhang portion ( what i'm calling the gallery) is raised so i now i doubt it will be part of the sidewalk. i could see some bistro type tables maybe.

later at night it's a different story I'm sure but during the day, and especially on the weekend, it's a hive of retail activity. Evidently this has caught the attention of higher end retailers who are beginning to expand their footprint along those blocks. I'm anxious to see who will occupy the two vacant blocks on the north side on either side of Woodhead (one's already under development).

I've been wondering about the vacant lot adjacent to Buffalo Exchange, anyone know what's going on with it? There have been stakes in the ground for years and a fence around it, but nothing has changed. That place is worth a ton and someone is paying taxes each year. If they aren't going to build something they could at least put a park on it. And there is another small lot by Wendy's next to Tremont. I guess they own it, but it could still be something besides a fenced in lot.

I was over there today and visited with the owner. He said they were finishing up the steelwork today (there were several welders there) and that he anticipated having the exterior done in 3 months. The guy was excited that he was able to get the variance for building to the street and said he wanted the building to fit in with a walkable neighborhood. He told me that the style of the building would be Italian and said that the appearance and landscaping would look great (I'm not big on what developers have termed Mediterranean, but we'll see how it goes). The way I see it, the area is a mix of styles so as long as they do it well I think it will be fine. At least we are not getting a generic strip mall. Count your blessings.

I've got to agree that this property is as good as it's going to get on Westheimer. We're certainly never going to see the glory days of the 70's-90's again. The property is worth too much now and the yuppies don't want the weird stuff.

It's especially funny how much the general population outside the loop is still freaked out by the mere mention of Montrose, or House of Pies. The gay area has been largely condensed down to the zone around Pacific Street and the rest of the shops on Westheimer aren't all that offensive anymore.

i drove by that building next to empire cafe today and it looks like it might be done before the end of the year. Does anyone know if any tennants have signed on yet? it would be cool if more established designers like a.p.c or a rag and bone moved in. It could be like a melrose here in houston.

i drove by that building next to empire cafe today and it looks like it might be done before the end of the year. Does anyone know if any tennants have signed on yet? it would be cool if more established designers like a.p.c or a rag and bone moved in. It could be like a melrose here in houston.

There are enough clothing stores past Buffalo Speedway and up near River Oaks, I'd rather keep some unique stuff in Montrose. But with rent where it is, I don't see that happening. I knew it was the end of the weird when Dave's World shut down.

davesworldzv0.th.jpg

Edited by SirTonk

My point exactly, that part of town is already becoming comerialized, so instead of allowing c grade shops fill up that area, i would rather see something that would put Houston on the map. If not clothing stores, maybe a kid robot store or something along that caliber.

There are enough clothing stores past Buffalo Speedway and up near River Oaks, I'd rather keep some unique stuff in Montrose. But with rent where it is, I don't see that happening. I knew it was the end of the weird when Dave's World shut down.

davesworldzv0.th.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The look of chron.com has changed. What do you all think?

I never read or buy the newspaper, only read online. This is the first I have heard of the look changing.

People will gripe either way. Change will always happen. Got to keep up with the times. :D

This myspacing crap has got to stop. "Your stories and photos" in the middle of the page really irritates me. To the point where I probably will stop using their website.

If I'm reading a traditional, major daily it's because I want news, local news especially. Not a non-professional photo of some fat dude from Rosenberg and his kitten. Nor do I want to read his poorly written but heartfelt blog. I want to read the Contintental Airlines story that would otherwise have been above the fold, if not for the link to 'mom diaries!' and 'shop girl' or some such crap. There is obviously readership and a place for that stuff. I must be in the minority to think that place is on the blog features page, rather than above local business news.

OK. Rant over. The chron.com redesign is horrible.

This myspacing crap has got to stop. "Your stories and photos" in the middle of the page really irritates me. To the point where I probably will stop using their website.

If I'm reading a traditional, major daily it's because I want news, local news especially. Not a non-professional photo of some fat dude from Rosenberg and his kitten. Nor do I want to read his poorly written but heartfelt blog. I want to read the Contintental Airlines story that would otherwise have been above the fold, if not for the link to 'mom diaries!' and 'shop girl' or some such crap. There is obviously readership and a place for that stuff. I must be in the minority to think that place is on the blog features page, rather than above local business news.

OK. Rant over. The chron.com redesign is horrible.

I'm a news junkie and like lots of news from various places: Reuters for bare-bones international reporting, Drudge for off the wall and sometimes right-wing reporting, Drudge RETORT for the opposite, MSNBC for breadth but not necessarily depth ... the list goes on.

I don't mind the off-the-wall stories on the front page, because I often get 'the news' from various sources.

I'm a news junkie and like lots of news from various places: Reuters for bare-bones international reporting, Drudge for off the wall and sometimes right-wing reporting, Drudge RETORT for the opposite, MSNBC for breadth but not necessarily depth ... the list goes on.

I don't mind the off-the-wall stories on the front page, because I often get 'the news' from various sources.

Ditto.

I wonder how much ad revenue they lost when Foley's was subsumed. There used to be one day of the week when Foley's didn't run ads and I swear the main section was about six pages long, and most of that filled with stories pulled from AP or culled from first-tier newspapers. Between CNN/MSNBC and good local news (KHOU comes to mind), there's little to justify the Chronicle's existence apart from its Sunday edition. Competition from another title might help.

I like it overall, but think we need another large ENGLISH daily.

The chances of that happening are somewhere between slim and none. No one in their right mind would start a newspaper in today's environment in competition with an established, deep pockets, publisher.

The look of chron.com has changed. What do you all think?

I don't like it at all. I was a regular Chron reader (print, then more recently on-line), but now I find it barely readable. I agree that it seems more like the Enquirer than a reputable newspaper. I think it's pathetic.

I often think about how bad the Chronicle is. Houston is the center of the energy industry and has the largest medical center in the world. Why is the Business section 4 pages long with only 3 articles? Tourism doesn't drive this economy, this city is a business city. The paper should be a significant business journal for the rest of the country....just based on the energy industry and medical activity that happens everyday here. Yet, I struggle to read one article that is interesting or thought provoking at all in the business section.

Me too-- I read a number of news sources--and being in the financial business I practically swim in news. Chron has never been high on my list, frankly. I still read it, but when I have to wade to through crap to get to a locally written story on a locally HQd company, for example, it irritates me. The one thing I expect them to deliver, they increasingly don't.

Do you like the MSNBC website? I'm an Olbermann fan, but find their website cluttered and never go there. Perhaps because so much is tied to the Today show?

Final words on the Chron: Witney Casey, a column?? What editor received a special gift that day?

And Ken Hoffman just needs to go away. There is no schtick left for you, bub. Not in the drive-thru; not anywhere.

I like it overall, but think we need another large ENGLISH daily.

It's not daily of course, but there is the Houston Press. On top of that, there are probably scores of Houston-related blogs and other sites, so it's not like the city is lacking different viewpoints and sources of information. A second physical daily newspaper simply isn't going to happen; there's no need for it and the economics would never work.

Do you like the MSNBC website? I'm an Olbermann fan, but find their website cluttered and never go there. Perhaps because so much is tied to the Today show?

For awhile after Microsoft took over, their site didn't work correctly with Macs and the now-extinct IE browser on the Mac. I think it turned me off then and it has never really been high on my list of daily reads since.