GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

weiner's used to be in houston - all gone

I didn't even realize they were gone. I am still scarred from childhood days when my mom would take me there and I would have to find some way to entertain myself for an hour and a half. Usually I ended up walking along the tiled walkway of the store over and over, trying only to step on certain tiles (this is how you develop OCD, by the way). This was also the case when we went to Mervyn's, but there they had a circular walkway that went around, so it was a bit more interesting.

Hey Subdude, there's another idea for your downtown retail district - Mervyn's. We'll call it "Subdude Pavilions," and it'll have Target, Stein Mart, Mervyn's, Sears Hardware, Family Dollar, and maybe a Luby's. Houston Pavilions won't have a chance once this thing goes up.

Ahhh... Weiners.....they reallly sucked. I use to entertain myself by getting lost in the clothes racks. I remember the one we went to had bullet holes in the front windows...guess some one disliked them more than I did.

I remember the Palais Royal on Main St. and the GAP on Main, and the Walgreens and Woolworths(still around in the U.K.) aswell.....the memories :rolleyes:

Ahhh... Weiners.....they reallly sucked.  I use to entertain myself by getting lost in the clothes racks. I remember the one we went to had bullet holes in the front windows...guess some one  disliked them more than I did.

I remember the Palais Royal on Main St. and the GAP on Main, and the Walgreens and Woolworths(still around in the U.K.) aswell.....the memories :rolleyes:

Did the Walgreen's on Main have a liquor section?

I used to shop at the last remaining Walgreen's with a liquor section in the country, on 55th St. and Lake Park, Chicago, IL. That place was Ghetto with a capital 'G'. You would see the bums hanging around outside at 10 AM, with bottles in brown paper bags. They would drink in the daytime before heading to work at night, panhandling college students. There was also a grocery store next door with a basement liquor section, and enough customers in that neighborhood to bring good business to both.

Did the Walgreen's on Main have a liquor section?

I used to shop at the last remaining Walgreen's with a liquor section in the country, on 55th St. and Lake Park, Chicago, IL.  That place was Ghetto with a capital 'G'.  You would see the bums hanging around outside at 10 AM, with bottles in brown paper bags.  They would drink in the daytime before heading to work at night, panhandling college students.  There was also a grocery store next door with a basement liquor section, and enough customers in that neighborhood to bring good business to both.

Nope didn't have a liquor section. It was kinda small about 40ft(three ilses) by the legnth of a DT block. Good thing they didnt I would imagine that there would be way mor bums around there.

Yeah, cause Texas do not promote drinking and driving, or drunkens on streets. That's why N.O. is full of homeless, and wineos on every street corner. They look like zombies. I'm glad the state of texas don't promote liquor at drug stores. Texas got class.

You crack me up!

That is funny.

The reason there is no liquor in Texas drug stores derives from Texas' arcane and utterly nonsensical liquor laws, that are kept that way by very well paid lobbyists, paid by the very wealthy liquor wholesalers. Texas' "class" (or even lack thereof) has nothing to do with it.

The number one reason all liquor is sold from a dedicated liquor store, is that since liquor cannot be sold after 9:00 pm, the store would have to close at that time. Profits, not class or public safety, drives this train.

There have been numerous attempts to bring these Prohibition era laws into the 21st century, all to no avail.

Nothing... we're just passing the time until they announce groundbreaking.

Which is when again? Still waiting on BPII and Sakawitz renovation(new store), and Houston Center to progress( how's that coming along). It seems like forever, then again everyday here is a Monday :blink: .

Everyday gets me closer to my leave date :D Whoooo! Whooooo! Just a month and a half to go :D .......anyways.....when is groundbreaking?

Well semipro said september and HOUCAJUN called them and they said October, so lets just say fall.

Ohh yeah :D

We should make this forum really intresting and start placing bets. I would of lost a ton on the "Sham". :lol: We shall wait and see on this bad boy.

I have have 0015 my time........HAPPY 4th OF JULY EVERYONE!!! :wacko:

Ohh yeah  :D 

We should make this forum really intresting and start placing bets.  I would of lost a ton on the "Sham".  :lol: We shall wait and see on this bad boy.

I have have 0015 my time........HAPPY 4th OF JULY EVERYONE!!! :wacko:

Happy fourth to you too.i'm sure most people disagree with what i say on this forum, but we can all agree that your service is truly honorable.

That is funny.

The reason there is no liquor in Texas drug stores derives from Texas' arcane and utterly nonsensical liquor laws, that are kept that way by very well paid lobbyists, paid by the very wealthy liquor wholesalers.  Texas' "class" (or even lack thereof) has nothing to do with it.

The number one reason all liquor is sold from a dedicated liquor store, is that since liquor cannot be sold after 9:00 pm, the store would have to close at that time.  Profits, not class or public safety, drives this train.

There have been numerous attempts to bring these Prohibition era laws into the 21st century, all to no avail.

So why would liquor wholesalers want liquor stores to close at 9?

As I said before, a good example of this development other than Denver PAvilions is PAcific Place in Seattle.  A retail development that took up blocks in downtown Seattle.  It opened up the floodgates of many other retailers in the surrounding area.

Well, I think when the other poster referred to design flaws relating to inward-oriented development they were more concerned about the loading docks and utilities facing the street on most sides. In the case of Pacific Place, I'm not sure what they did but I can't recall where they put the utilities and loading docks (underground, maybe, or in the parking garage?) but at any rate as your pictures show Pacific Place interacts with the street/pedestrians very well. With any luck Houston Pavilions will be the same way.

the saks renovation was just recently announced. i mean, it can take months for plans to be submitted and financing to be secured. it seems as if some people would like for sabrina the teenage witch to twinkle her nose and make it so, immediately after it is announced. these things take months, some times years. be patient and enjoy the fruits when they occur.

in the mean time, support the businesses (downtown/midtown) that are already in existence so that they can survive until the next wave of development.

and, about the inward development of houston pavilions......loading docks can be hidden by walls and landscaping. i hope that the designers and developers of the pavilions will consider these options.

Guest danax
in the mean time, support the businesses (downtown/midtown) that are already in existence so that they can survive until the next wave of development. 

Yes, thanks for reminding me. I'll pick up a iced vanilla soymilk chai at Tropioca today in support. If they're open, that is.

why are developers so focused on bringing retail to downtown?

downtown needs more easily accessable grocery stores imo

I think when people say retail they also throw in grocery stores in that catagory.

One to two grocery stores should do the trick. Much more non-grocery store retail is needed to attract more people. Attract people with much of what they need, then it makes it easier and more appealling to live there, visit and entertain. That's what most people on these threads want to see. Start with the different city business centers and see Houston Flourish.

Downtown is just one of them.....and retail is what is lacking to attract reidential and business