GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

I am all for entertainment but I hope the Houston PAvilions has just as much clothing retail as the one in Denver.  Some of the Denver clothing stores are ann taylor, banana republic, express, gap, journey's, nike town, and victoria's secret.

The Denver Pavilions is on the 16th Street Mall, a pedestrian mall. It is very busy at lunchtime, and has some cool special events, like Kristkindle, a German Christmas festival, complete with a street fair. It has a few nice eating places, like The Corner Bakery and Magianno's Little Italy, a Barnes & Noble store, Niketown, and a multiscreen cinema. Not all has gone well with it however, as I believe that the Wolfgang Puck restaurant there is now out of business. It is a nice addition to the other shops on the mall, and integrates well. As a stand alone without the mall, I am not sure how well it would do.

Most probably soo.

The only thing is that the Denver street concept removed traffic from a city street to make it completely pedestrian except for the cross streets. This is kind of like bourbon street also at night.

Some people proposed this concept for Main St here in Houston also. The Houston Pavillons seem to creat their own street along the three blocks. It also appears that the open air pedestrian portions will be close to main. The further you get from main you appear to be inside a building. I did this by buy zooming in on the pics on the website. You can see where the movie theater might be, or it could just be parking garages. I do see a bridge over one of the cross streets, maybe two.

It seems that it will create it's on pedestrian area isolated from the street.

I get the impression from their website renderings that it will be open-air for the entire three blocks, with some bridges and canopy-type structures sprinkled in.

It looks to be structured very similarly to the one in Denver, which also creates it's own pedestrian area isolated from the street.

• Like 1

I get the impression from their website renderings that it will be open-air for the entire three blocks, with some bridges and canopy-type structures sprinkled in.

It looks to be structured very similarly to the one in Denver, which also creates it's own  pedestrian area isolated from the street.

Looks that way to me as well, with the open air corridor (the pedestrian corridor) being narrower than your typical street--like the corridor at the MarqE, onlly without the covering.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow those renderings look great. What is the tall building in the back? Residential or Office? I actually kind of like the signage too. I am glad to see it is not completely inwardly focused. As some people were saying there would be lading docks facing the street earlier.

Just wondering where did you get these?

citykid, buildings get put on hold in every city all the time. We've just been profiling everything some much on here that it hits harder when one flops.

Those pics are great. It will be a great addition to downtown.

Guest Plastic

I haven't read all you posts.

SO what is this Housotn Pavillion? Is it entertainment,is it shoping? Is it part of that plan to move 20,000 people downtown?

I don't know where but they need to revitalize the werehouse district and Chinatown.

I haven't read all you posts.

SO what is this Housotn Pavillion? Is it entertainment,is it shoping? Is it part of that plan to move 20,000 people downtown?

I don't know where but they need to revitalize the werehouse district and Chinatown.

It is a development that will combine office, residential, and hotel (possibly). It will comprise three blocks that stretch linearly from Main. It also combines ground floor retail.

Here are some images of Houston Pavilions:

I can't quite figure out what portion of downtown this will be sitting in. (That is if it gets built) :P

I can't quite figure out what portion of downtown this will be sitting in. (That is if it gets built) :P

Here are the blocks zoomed in, and out.

hou_pav.jpg

hou_pav_zoom.jpg

The streets are listed in the first rendering. And could you maybe take the pics out of your quote so it makes the thread smaller and less to load.

EDIT: for you Google earth users it looks like they have newer (not new) views for downtown. They are also higher res. You can see the color difference in the surrounding areas. They are also not winter so all the parks look soooo much better.

Edited by YakuzaIce

I really don't think there's so much of a chicken/egg scenario - I think retail attracts residential. The reason developers and brokers are working so hard to get downtown on track with retail is to boost its chances of becomming an all around neighborhood (and to make a lot of money). In my opinion, the only way downtown will succeed as a neighborhood is if it first becomes a retail destination. All else will then fall into place.

I agree. Changing a place like Downtown into a neighborhood doesn't follow the same formula as suburbia or reinvented neighborhoods (residential first, then retail). A lot of the potential residents want to feel that there is already "something going on" after 5pm before they'll participate.

We've been in a first wave of development since the mid-90s with some retail, residential and entertainment, along with Rail, to set the stage. Now the big wave is about to roll, which will start once everyone agrees that the place is legit and has almost zero chance of reverting to a ghost town after dark. Then, everyone and their aunt will want to be there.

This Pavilions is definitely a sign that the big wave is upon us. Hang ten!

Too bad the Sham is still at the stool sample, I mean, soil sample stage.

Guest Plastic

Well yes, I'm not to hot onto relocated thousands of people into downtown Houston.

HOuston's a city built on urban sprawl. We like to drive a long wy to our work.

I'd rather live in Montrose,Heights,West Universisty than downtown. Got spave to put people and alot more area.

DOwntown's too cramped now, can't imagine it with 10s of thousands more people.

The streets are listed in the first rendering.  And could you maybe take the pics out of your quote so it makes the thread smaller and less to load.

done!

But how many of you guys think this will get built? I think it will because i think the same thing is happening in downtown Houston as i observed happening in downtown Denver in the later part of the 90s.

The Denver Pavilions opened 7 years ago and has been a seed for more growth along the 16th Street Mall. BTW, 16th Street Mall is pretty LIVE on Saturdays, full of shoppers and outers.