GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

Bulldoze a bunch of houses and run the rail line directly to Downing Street at Westheimer and Kirby, worry about the fallout later. ;)

They can send it right down West Gray straight to the Galleria. One of the stops could be a hollowed-out mansion.

Edited by N Judah

My wife and I went milling about Houston Pavilions last Saturday. I thought that McCormick & Schmicks might be open.

But the feel and look of the place EXCEEDS what I saw in the renderings. It is a fantastic design. It's certainly different. Just like Horton Plaza in San Diego is different...Houston Pavilions is different. The view of the skycrapers is astounding.

I just can't wait for more shops to open there...getting more customers. There were some people at Books A Million that night.

My complaint is that the guard rails around the cross rings could be higher. It is so easy just to jump down on San Jac or Fannin from that...or be pushed over.

And parking could be at least 3 bucks instead of the 5 we paid that night. I personally don't mind paying 5...but I just want added incentive for more patronizing.

Houston Pavilions is the kind of place that can really attract regularly...I just can't get over how cool that design is.

Has anyone tried walking there from the Pavilions to about Main @ Capitol (or close to Sambuca)? What's the distance like? I know I could look that up on a map or something but would still want to know how someone else finds a stroll like that.

I wanted to stroll that but my wife was heavily disappointed that McCormick & Schmicks was not open and she was hungry (wound up going to La Strada in Montrose).

My wife and I went milling about Houston Pavilions last Saturday. I thought that McCormick & Schmicks might be open.

But the feel and look of the place EXCEEDS what I saw in the renderings. It is a fantastic design. It's certainly different. Just like Horton Plaza in San Diego is different...Houston Pavilions is different. The view of the skycrapers is astounding.

I just can't wait for more shops to open there...getting more customers. There were some people at Books A Million that night.

My complaint is that the guard rails around the cross rings could be higher. It is so easy just to jump down on San Jac or Fannin from that...or be pushed over.

And parking could be at least 3 bucks instead of the 5 we paid that night. I personally don't mind paying 5...but I just want added incentive for more patronizing.

Houston Pavilions is the kind of place that can really attract regularly...I just can't get over how cool that design is.

Has anyone tried walking there from the Pavilions to about Main @ Capitol (or close to Sambuca)? What's the distance like? I know I could look that up on a map or something but would still want to know how someone else finds a stroll like that.

I wanted to stroll that but my wife was heavily disappointed that McCormick & Schmicks was not open and she was hungry (wound up going to La Strada in Montrose).

That is exactly what my wife and I thought of the place as well. Insane sky rings (especially scary on the third level looking down), awesome views of downtown, easy layout... an incredible design all around. We live in Midtown, and are ecstatic at how this place has already surpassed our expectations. When the developers were saying this is going to be a downtown changer... I was a little skeptical. Not any more.

It's Doable - might not suggest it at night though - I work in first city tower and sometimes the coworkers want to go to Frank's Pizza which is pretty much the same distance...it's not too bad but you will feel like you just walked off your dinner, which is always good I suppose

There's no big deal in walking along main at night in my opinion. I do it all the time. It's about 5 blocks, 0.3 miles from the Pavilions to Main@Capitol. And the walk takes you past places like the Flying Saucer where there are always people around so I think it's a reasonable walk.

Maybe I just walk a lot, but I agree with the above.

Also (and sorry if this has been asked/answered already) I haven't made it there yet and as wondering how late are the pavilion/stores generally open?

And I understand you can pay to park, but what about street parking if you drive down there? There used to be plenty if I remember correctly...

Maybe I just walk a lot, but I agree with the above.

Also (and sorry if this has been asked/answered already) I haven't made it there yet and as wondering how late are the pavilion/stores generally open?

And I understand you can pay to park, but what about street parking if you drive down there? There used to be plenty if I remember correctly...

i depends what's going on in the area already. as more stores/restaurants start to open, there will be less. i was at toyota center a few weekends ago and ended up parking by HP for the concert, since HP hadn't opened yet.

There's no big deal in walking along main at night in my opinion. I do it all the time. It's about 5 blocks, 0.3 miles from the Pavilions to Main@Capitol. And the walk takes you past places like the Flying Saucer where there are always people around so I think it's a reasonable walk.

Correct, I've always felt very safe walking down Main Street at night, or really anywhere in downtown aside from the bus station (URGGGGGGHH I hate that area) and its a short walk to Sambuca from Pavilions.

Edited by kylejack

Downtown is pretty safe. Main street in particular is safe as well, I see police roaming around all the time too so that helps I'd imagine. If you look at the crime stats in downtown the biggest crime is vehicular burglary.

Edited by Daniepwils

Downtown is pretty safe. Main street in particular is safe as well, I see police roaming around all the time too so that helps I'd imagine. If you look at the crime stats in downtown the biggest crime is vehicular burglary.

Yeah, its been a long long long time since I saw a mention of violent crime in downtown, and even that has been limited to some rowdy bars. I have a feeling most crimes are break ins of cars parked in the lots, probably just as many during the work day as there are at night. There's some panhandling in certain places, but most of it has been pretty low-key, imo.

Knock on wood: I've never experienced any vandalism to my car when I park downtown (and sometimes I drive to work during the day). I've never had a problem with being approached or threatened (although, I admit that I'm a larger size than average). However, I think there is a perception of danger in certain areas of downtown because a) some places at the street level aren't as well lit, b.) some places feel more isolated than others, and c.) there are still some homeless people floating about the streets and for some people coming across them is a little worrisome.

Overall, though, I think downtown's pretty safe.

I was at HP the other day. I bought a limited edition Vonnegut book at BAM (which was a very nice store). I liked what I saw, but it did feel a bit empty (more in terms of lack of stores more than lack of people). I am really looking forward to seeing it filled up some day. When I walked around, I only noticed that only two stores were open (Forever 21 and BAM).

Some of the future restaurant spaces looked really nice too. I'm looking forward to it.

I heard some scoop on HOB.

Apparently, they have some sort of contractual stipulation whereas a performer cannot do a show at another venue and then perform at HOB.

Well, BB King performed at the Arena and then HOB denied him a show there. Then, Beeb's got on the phone and took care of that and then performed. He then went on to NOLA HOB and announced that the Houston HOB was the * venue he'd ever played. I've heard other performers have cancelled. Looks like the manager is a SOB.

Keep in mind that this information is all hearsay.

Edited by dbigtex56
language

Apparently, they have some sort of contractual stipulation whereas a performer cannot do a show at another venue and then perform at HOB.

Well, BB King performed at the Arena and then HOB denied him a show there. Then, Beeb's got on the phone and took care of that and then performed. He then went on to NOLA HOB and announced that the Houston HOB was the * venue he'd ever played. I've heard other performers have cancelled. Looks like the manager is a SOB.

Ouch!

I thought people cancelled because of post Ike issues.

So... bands can only play at our HOB FIRST??

A lot of entertainment contracts have this sort of stipulation. They prevent you from having a performance in the same town as their venue within a certain time window. Some even limit the performer from giving a free show in that town. I believe the intent is to maximize the promoters revenue by limiting supply and forcing the crowds to pay their high ticket price.

A lot of entertainment contracts have this sort of stipulation. They prevent you from having a performance in the same town as their venue within a certain time window. Some even limit the performer from giving a free show in that town. I believe the intent is to maximize the promoters revenue by limiting supply and forcing the crowds to pay their high ticket price.

You are 100% correct. I am in a band and yes, it's done to ensure that your fans actually show up to the show... Otherwise, they would skip the HOB show and just check out the band in a cheaper venue. Maybe the HOB in NOLA let's BB bend the rules, but any other band should follow their rules... and rightfully so. The only time I think the exclusivity agreement should be waived is when the HOB sells out and they cannot get another show setup while that artist is in town. That way, the artist still brings in $ to HOB, along with allowing more people to see them.

I walked around HP during lunchtime today. It looks fairly impressive, and has more retail space than I guess I was expecting, although I would have known as much if I followed the development more closely. The few tenants seem to be rather spread out.

Hopefully it will not follow the same path as the Park Shops, I liked the development and could see it as a great place to drive some nightlife. HoB looked busy with a lunch crowd and Willie is playing two nights next weekend which should get a good crowd in to the area. The proximity to Toyota Center should be good for Rocket game nights too. Here's hoping for the best for them.

well went last night with some friends to HOB to see the awesomeness that is marc broussard and sara bareilles and i am loving the venue more and more. (ps...the jumotrons are INSIDE up in the balcony area for those seated there)...honestly there is not a bad place to stand or sit in the house...the only thing missing is someplace to sit down if needed...as i saw a few intoxicated people sitting in the back on the floor :o:lol:

The stage, sound, lights top notch. nice backstage areas, easy acess to the bars and just liked the whole ambience of the venue in general.

i will say, although the restaurant has good food that to me, is reasonable.... the service is pretty horrific even on this second visit...hopefully that changes with time but many tables around me were complaining as well about their own waiters, wait, etc, and i saw a manager going around comping items...including all our table's drinks.

wait...maybe that isnt a bad thing afterall....

ha

in general, love the HOB and thankful it is here...i cannot wait to go there for future gatherings and shows.

You are 100% correct. I am in a band and yes, it's done to ensure that your fans actually show up to the show... Otherwise, they would skip the HOB show and just check out the band in a cheaper venue. Maybe the HOB in NOLA let's BB bend the rules, but any other band should follow their rules... and rightfully so. The only time I think the exclusivity agreement should be waived is when the HOB sells out and they cannot get another show setup while that artist is in town. That way, the artist still brings in $ to HOB, along with allowing more people to see them.

wait, you are a musician, live in midtown, married and were there last week...

BRIAN W?! haha...sending you a text now!

*small world*

Was anyone else surprised by the massive christian books and merchandise section in BAM? The views from the inside are nice, I almost forgot what city I was in!

No Kidding - and I love how Judaism and all the other religions were put back in a section that I believe was called "other spiritual" or something like that :(

Mrs. Bag and I visited Houston Pavilions today after lunch. She thought it was a dumb idea at first, and only later did I have to agree with her. It was ugly and unpleasant. The pedestrian space between the stores is too narrow. The "architecture" is just a jumble of concrete and aluminum. I couldn't find the wonderful views that others have spoken of. Blech.

I still think it's a great space - just wish they would have a broader selection...on another note, I noticed on the pavilions website that Lids isn't opening until next spring, but the store looks almost complete...do y'all think other stores could possibly be opening sooner than projected? - I would think they'd try their hardest to take advantage of the Christmas season