GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

This thing ought to be great for out of towners. There is no tourist ghetto in Houston. No West End, no Riverwalk -- and while those aren't places locals necessarily go, they are great for out of towners who don't know the city and want to go someplace easy to find and prepackaged and ready to go. Pavillions is not the Riverwalk and is basically just a mall, but it provides something for the out of towner to do to kill a couple of hours while waiting to do whatever it is they came here for.

The proximity of Pavillions to the Hilton, Four Seasons, Club whatever, even Doubletree, is a good thing. It gives the people who came in Friday afternoon for a Saturday wedding an option that doesn't involve a long cab ride somewhere else. It is a good time killer for the business traveller who is trying to get out of his room. It provides a bunch of good dining options for the conventioneer. I think I can say before it is even open that it is better than Bayou Place or the Shops at Houston Center. It may not be perfect and it may not draw tons of people from in town, but this is something downtown sorely needed. It may be a glorified mall filled with chain stores you can get in any other city, but the reality is that most Americans will go to something familiar first and that is why this place will be successful.

Will it draw people from in town? It just might. I live in Montrose and I like McCormick and Schmicks. I'll probably come down here before the Galleria. I know I'll see some shows at HOB. It's hard to imagine going past 12 bookstores to get to Books-a-million, but you never know. Time will tell.

Great post B)

Agreed... for the out-of-towners that know these places-- House of Blues, Forever XXI, B-A-M, etc. HP really hits the spot. Just imagine yourself as a first-time, NO better yet a second-time visitor to Houston, and the first time you came was in 2005...

You stayed at the Hilton Americas, and it was a DEAD ZONE. Everything around it was dark and empty except for a few scant conventionneers. You trek the long way across eastern downtown (6 blocks) just to hop on the train, go up one station, then walk another 7 blocks where you FINALLY get to the Hobby Center for a Broadway or TUTS show. Coming back to the hotel is lonely, desolate, and frankly scary. You make up your mind right then and there that Houston SUCKS and you're never coming back.

Flash-forward to 2009...

Somehow you're trapped in town for a conference, and you have to stay at the H.A. again!! But wait, this time something is different... whoa look at this cool-ass park! So you get done with meetings, and decide to go for a nice walk around. As evening approaches, you suddenly see a big neon blue sign come on and you go "WTF! I didn't know Houston had a House of Blues?!?" You run over there and encounter Houston Pavilions... stroll around and decide to call up your convention buds... "Hey guys, there's an HOB here. And it's connected to this shopping thing-- yeah, kinda like Kansas City (P&L district). So I say let's grab dinner here, and then decide if we want to go bowling, see the broadway show, or just pal around downtown at the clubs. Cool see ya in a few."

Sorry to go so "twilight zone" in the post, but I guarantee you that this thing is going to change some people's minds about Houston!

Oh, yeah and something else that I pointed out on SSP...

Houston is a random-ass mess of a city. Hard Rock Cafe has no relation to Inn at the BallPark, and the GRB and the Theater District couldn't possibly have a wider gap between them. But in the strategic sense, Houston Pavilions is a really great use of space. Not only does it help to link east and west downtown, but by linking Macy's with Houston Center, it actually serves to create a retail/shopping district for our downtown. I think this was a key move that will start to "zone" things for downtown Houston. most of the future retail that comes to the area will be in the vicinity of HP and HC.

This obviously helps for the residential future of downtown too. Once we muddle through the credit crunch, you better WATCH OUT for residential projects to be gobbling up the surface lots between Toyota, DG and HP. It's literally the next hot spot for a residential/mixed use highrise. Let's just hope that a major grocer like HEB's Central Market or Whole Paycheck gets worked into the plans.

Edited by totheskies

Not only does it help to link east and west downtown, but by linking Macy's with Houston Center, it actually serves to create a retail/shopping district for our downtown. I think this was a key move that will start to "zone" things for downtown Houston. most of the future retail that comes to the area will be in the vicinity of HP and HC.

I definitely think Dallas St. from GRB to Main St. should be made into a pedestrian friendly corridor, and the city should encourage (incentivize) development of hotel/residential/retail projects. There are 5 blocks adjacent to Dallas between HOB and Hilton/DG/GRB just waiting for it...

Pavilions website is rebooted and refreshed.

No longer a construction orientated site.

www.houstonpavilions.com

mia bella is great. i would wager that they need more room and would like to stay open more often. i will miss the cozy location they are currently at (if they are moving).

The retail floor plan does show Mia Bella on level 1 (161A).

So has anyone heard definitively if they are moving from the Main St. location or just opening an additional location? To me, the current location has always been part of the draw due to its charm.

The retail floor plan does show Mia Bella on level 1 (161A).

So has anyone heard definitively if they are moving from the Main St. location or just opening an additional location? To me, the current location has always been part of the draw due to its charm.

This is an additional location, their 3rd. I think a 4th is going in somewhere else.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in the bookstore, Books-a-Million

I remember discussions on here where people suggested that if only a Borders or a Barnes and Noble would open Downtown, then things would really start to change down there. That this would attract shoppers at night and on weekends and would be a catalyst for further development.

Books-a-Million isn't Borders or Barnes and Noble, but it is the third largest book retailer. They have a store in Katy Mills. It looks pretty much the same to me.

Mike Huckabee is scheduled for an in store appearance and book signing Monday evening at 8pm November 24. It will be interesting to see what kind of crowd something like that generates on a Monday night.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest in the bookstore, Books-a-Million

I remember discussions on here where people suggested that if only a Borders or a Barnes and Noble would open Downtown, then things would really start to change down there. That this would attract shoppers at night and on weekends and would be a catalyst for further development.

Books-a-Million isn't Borders or Barnes and Noble, but it is the third largest book retailer. They have a store in Katy Mills. It looks pretty much the same to me.

Mike Huckabee is scheduled for an in store appearance and book signing Monday evening at 8pm November 24. It will be interesting to see what kind of crowd something like that generates on a Monday night.

There's already a Walden or something like that in Houston Center.

Your update is soo last week :P - but yeah, looks like a typical mall website now, vacant spaces and all!

I see lockmat beat me too it! (yes, I was curious to see!)

y'all talk a lot, it was 2 pages back, I did not go back that many posts to see.

Question for you all...

HP is now about 60% leased for the retail. What other stores would you like to see move into HP??

GAP

Banana Republic

H&M (PLEASE!!!!)

American Eagle

Abercrombie and Fitch

American Apparel

Oh good lord. :rolleyes:

Question for you all...

HP is now about 60% leased for the retail. What other stores would you like to see move into HP??

It's starting out with more than enough bars and restaurants, but what about

-The Apple Store

-Bike Rental/Bike Share

-movie theater

anything else?? Would love to hear some input.

how about some outlets?..Oakley, Puma, Eddie Bauer, Kenneth Cole, LaCoste... :D

Abercrombie and Fitch

American Apparel

Yes!

a 24/7 Starbucks, P.F. Chang's, Polo, Energie, Buckle, Probably a salon, a nice Bar, (And keep the clothing stores open till 9 or 10, since all the drunks will want to buy more! Hey it works in Puerto Banus)!

A nice boutique like Urban Rendezvous in the Heights.

Yes!

a 24/7 Starbucks, P.F. Chang's, Polo, Energie, Buckle, Probably a salon, a nice Bar, (And keep the clothing stores open till 9 or 10, since all the drunks will want to buy more! Hey it works in Puerto Banus)!

A nice boutique like Urban Rendezvous in the Heights.

I know it is a pipe dream but Trader Joes would be ahuge win!!!!

There's already a Walden or something like that in Houston Center.

Thanks, that's good to know. I guess I was referring more to the supersize type of bookstore, with bigger selection, coffee shop,expanded hours,etc...

Something that would actually bring people in to stay awhile, as opposed to a place to grab a book or a magazine on your lunch hour.

GAP

Banana Republic

H&M (PLEASE!!!!)

American Eagle

Abercrombie and Fitch

American Apparel

Oh good lord. :rolleyes:

They're opening up an American Apparel store on 909 Texas. Kind of an odd place to put a new store... I don't really think that area in downtown caters to its targeted customers.

Actually. Scratch that. Just looked at the AA website and it no longer has the downtown location listed as opening soon; they just took it out completely. (?)

Would love to see an H&M though. When is it going to be OUR turn? Every other major metropolitan city has one EXCEPT Houston. Or Texas, rather. A Zara would be fab too!

And is Forever 21 going to open on Thursday as well? I have a party that evening and need a new dress!

It is not local, but a Joe Muggs Cafe/Coffee shop is inside Books-a-million.

I really like the place that sells gelato and coffee over next door to Club Ibiza. That would be more of a tourist draw than Joe Muggs. The Joe Muggs at Katy Mills is usually empty.

The design of the Houston Pavilions is fantastic, but the tenant list is not impressive. I hope the rest of the tenancy is more unique.

Edited by N Judah