GreenStreet: Mixed-Use Development At 1201 Fannin St.

MontroseNeighborhoodCafe

^CBD Fetishism

It oughta be in the DSM-V.

I'm not sure what I said to warrant the "CBD feitshism" comment. The great downtowns and cities that are really exciting happen for a reason. They happen with time and vision. Maybe some of them start out as simple dreams. That's where I am at this point. Sure, I think it's bad to simply copy another city, that's cheasy. But I know our city can do better with time and persistence. And since I will not ever give up on Houston, I refuse to stop dreaming about what it could become. We can have a blan central city if we allow it and just sit around and delicate flower about it. Or we can be persistent and drive a consistent message "out there" so that maybe someday it will force something good to start happening.

Edited by 2112

post-5821-1213120585_thumb.jpg

Aaahhhh what this project coulda been. Well at least I hope we have those giant plasma screens to look forward to. I wonder if they will still be placed along the lines of the originals.

Edited by CasaNova

But you could have invested in the project if you wanted the excitement. Let the free market deal with shopping malls.

Oh lord. There is a bigger picture that you obviously cannot see why cities invest in bringing retail back into downtown. It would be nice to have a centralized city again, belive me there are benefits that every large city in this country are aware of, than the doughnut that Houston currently is.

Oh lord. There is a bigger picture that you obviously cannot see why cities invest in bringing retail back into downtown. It would be nice to have a centralized city again, belive me there are benefits that every large city in this country are aware of, than the doughnut that Houston currently is.

It's not like Houston isn't making strides to bring retail back into the core (like every other city in America).

It's not like Houston isn't making strides to bring retail back into the core (like every other city in America).

I know that and overall that is not my point. Believe me I appreciate the efforts that the city is making. It is just frustrating to hear the same ol' about my tax dollars this etcetera etcetera when the city brings up things like incentives for businesses and residents that move into downtown that contribute to the growth and sustainability of the center city and the city as a whole.

i'm continuing to hear very bleak outlooks and expectations for this thing... as of today, there are currently ZERO office tenants signed, and supposedly III Forks (which was set to replace Lawry's Steakhouse) has backed out. a prject like this should be generating serious buzz, especially as we near completion, and yet we hear nothing... 3 prime blocks of downtown space and they're struggling to sign a single office tenant and starting to lose retailers. i dont care who you are, that is NOT a positive sign.

consider me in the camp of "grand opportunity wasted" as of now.

i'm continuing to hear very bleak outlooks and expectations for this thing... as of today, there are currently ZERO office tenants signed, and supposedly III Forks (which was set to replace Lawry's Steakhouse) has backed out. a prject like this should be generating serious buzz, especially as we near completion, and yet we hear nothing... 3 prime blocks of downtown space and they're struggling to sign a single office tenant and starting to lose retailers. i dont care who you are, that is NOT a positive sign.

consider me in the camp of "grand opportunity wasted" as of now.

What do yall speculate could be the reasons why no office tenants have signed? With one Hines tower for sure going up and a second possibly on the way, I'm really surprised to hear this.

They should have kept the residential component... this much retail in a DT with such a small residential population seems to have the potential to go the way of Bayou Place, which is nowhere.

On the other hand, I still think it has the potential to succeed... if they have LCD screens and 40 ft tall banners. JK ;) .

Regardless, it is still good for DT.

They should have kept the residential component... this much retail in a DT with such a small residential population seems to have the potential to go the way of Bayou Place, which is nowhere

you're right...the 200 units they planned on at the beginning will certainly be the difference b/w success and failure for the project as a whole. :rolleyes:

The office component is the least of my worries.

The retail/restaurant space is more crucial to this project's success. And with that, the proximity to the Houston Center (and the general despise for the Park Shops), Main St., South Texas Law, Minute Maid, Toyota, the park, and GRB....are all keeping me optimistic. I work on the east side of downtown, and the shortage of restaurants is really frustrating. You can only eat at Longhorn Cafe, Massa's, and Treebeards so much.

The local economy is doing fine, and shows no sign of slowing down. This 11 story office space will be filled in time.

The office component is the least of my worries.

The retail/restaurant space is more crucial to this project's success. And with that, the proximity to the Houston Center (and the general despise for the Park Shops), Main St., South Texas Law, Minute Maid, Toyota, the park, and GRB....are all keeping me optimistic. I work on the east side of downtown, and the shortage of restaurants is really frustrating. You can only eat at Longhorn Cafe, Massa's, and Treebeards so much.

The local economy is doing fine, and shows no sign of slowing down. This 11 story office space will be filled in time.

I haven't been hearing much of anything about HP on the news, and that's kind of frustrating... but they maybe be keeping a cool head for a reason. Basically HP is well set up for success. Discovery Green is experiencing it's ultimate test time right now (the heat of summer), and currently passing with flying colors. Come October when this thing opens, people will still be going to games, the theater district, the GRB for conventions, and taking their kids to play in the water fountains at Disco G. Houston Pavillions has all of this to pull from. Oh yeah, and lest we forget how much midtown has filled in within the last few years?? As of October, the closest major bookstore, bowling alley, high-end shopping, and first-class dining options will locate in downtown.

Look at Kansas city. Great urban core, but the downtown was pretty well on life support just like us. The Power and Light district (with many of the same tenants that we will have at HP) has brought downtown back in full force.

Oh yeah, and lest we forget how much midtown has filled in within the last few years?? As of October, the closest major bookstore, bowling alley, high-end shopping, and first-class dining options will locate in downtown.

I agree. My wife and I just bought a townhouse in midtown, and we plan to spend a lot of time at HP. I'm sure we will be bumping into many of our neighbors there.

I think a hotel would have had a bigger impact than a residential component, but both would have been nice.

Agreed. Although, if this development is successful, the block directly east would make a perfect location for a new hotel. That would mean another surface lot (or at least 3/4 of one with Josephine's on there) would be gone...so in the long run it could turn out for the better.

While 200 apartments and a smaller sized hotel (150 rooms or so) wouldn't have ensured success, it would have ensured some business and some signs of life after work hours.

I do think that M-F, the Pavilions will give people staying at the Hilton, Four Seasons, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn, Club Quarters, Magnolia, Inn at the Ballpark, Holiday Inn Express, etc... some options. Downtown is VOID of anything other than dining options most nights. I've stayed in dead downtowns before and they don't leave a good impression (Fort Wayne, Tulsa, Alburcrackie, Syracuse come to mind). It's amazing what a bookstore, coffee shop, cheap eats/thrills can do for image.

While 200 apartments and a smaller sized hotel (150 rooms or so) wouldn't have ensured success, it would have ensured some business and some signs of life after work hours.

I do think that M-F, the Pavilions will give people staying at the Hilton, Four Seasons, Courtyard by Marriott, Residence Inn, Club Quarters, Magnolia, Inn at the Ballpark, Holiday Inn Express, etc... some options. Downtown is VOID of anything other than dining options most nights. I've stayed in dead downtowns before and they don't leave a good impression (Fort Wayne, Tulsa, Alburcrackie, Syracuse come to mind). It's amazing what a bookstore, coffee shop, cheap eats/thrills can do for image.

You know what would be nice is if that new free service from the electric cars took people from hotel to downtown destination.