University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

If it truly were a confusion issue, wouldn't the logical thing be to also change the names of UH-Clear Lake, and UH-Victoria? You may say they're too far away to warrant confusion, but they still have "UH" in their names, which is the main point being pushed by those in favor of the name change.

I'm still confused. I guess because I don't understand how they're not a branch of UH-Main Campus, yet they're still associated??? How does that work?

Are UH-Downtown, UH-Clearlake etc fundamentally the same in that they're not a branch but still associated, or are they in two different states(situations)?

UHD is a separate university with its own budget, admission requirements, degree programs and tuition-and-fee structure

I mean, if the above is true, why is the UH-Main Campus having to approve anything? If they're so separate and distinctive, why is she included in the process at all?

Maybe this is the answer to my question?...

Why do people get UH and UHD confused?

The geographic modifier of “Downtown” doesn’t register with people when they read or hear it. People understand UT-Dallas or UT-Austin because Dallas and Austin are separate locations. UH and UHD are inside of Loop 610, and are both considered “downtown” by many. Most institutions that use a hyphenated extension to designate location do so to indicate “branch locations and branch campuses.”

I totally understand that if you enrolled with the Main campus, you won't be having any classes downtown, and vice versa.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

They go on and on about confusion with UH is real and the name must change, then they turn around and come up with this list as a solution? Really ? Their school is 2 miles or less from a UST, and TSU, and a South Texas College of Law and this is the best they could come up with ???

Guess they aren't creative enough to stick to their guns on not naming it "directional" U.

Allen College of Houston.

Allen St. University.

I'm still confused. I guess because I don't understand how they're not a branch of UH-Main Campus, yet they're still associated??? How does that work?

Are UH-Downtown, UH-Clearlake etc fundamentally the same in that they're not a branch but still associated, or are they in two different states(situations)?

I mean, if the above is true, why is the UH-Main Campus having to approve anything? If they're so separate and distinctive, why is she included in the process at all?

I totally understand that if you enrolled with the Main campus, you won't be having any classes downtown, and vice versa.

Anyone who doesn't understand the one is in downtown and the other is not should be deported. For chrissakes it's painfully obvious... Can we say the Astrodome is also in downtown? What about the med center? Is that downtown also? How about the galleria? Or the woodlands? Come on... give me a break.

UHCL, UHD, and UHV are freestanding universities within the UH system, UH Sugarland, and UH Cinco Ranch are system centers within the UH system

UHCL, UHD, and UHV all have their own president of the university and all have their own distinct degree requirements for degrees sometimes even the same degree in the same subject will have different requirements at the different schools.....UH Sugarland and UH Cinco Ranch offer degree programs through the various universities of the UH system and only upper level courses......so if you go to UH Sugarland and get a degree from there in Biology then that degree will meet the same requirements as the biology degree from UHV because that is who it is offered through...if you get a B.A. in English then it will meet the exact requirements of the main campus of UH because that is who it is offered through

Dr. Renu Khator is the president of the main UH campus and also the Chancellor of the UH system which means she is over all the presidents of the free standing universities and she is over the system centers that do not have their own presidents and do not have the authority from the state of Texas to offer or create their own degrees or degree plans

The main campus of UH does not have to approve anything to do with the name change, but Dr. Khator as the Chancellor does approve it after the president of UHD does

the UH System functions as the representative to the State of Texas when it comes time for all the universities to lobby for funding which means the individual presidents of the university don't go before the legislators as individual representatives of their school to lobby the state and the system as a whole coordinates the universities to try and avoid duplication and take advantage of synergies when possible

There is a possibility that you could take a course at UHD while going to UH main campus, but it would be rare, but there is a good chance you might take a course at UH Sugarland and have a telecourse from UHV or any of the other schools especially related to the university that the degree is offered through or even take a course at that free standing campus as well

UH is what is called a "strong system" which means the above....the chancellor lobbies on behalf of the universities in the system and tries to coordinate degree offerings.....TAMU, UT, and Texas Tech are also strong systems.......the Texas State System with Lamar, Texas State San Marcos, Sam Houston, and Sul Ross is a "weak system" which means the presidents of the universities lobby for their own funding and they are more independent in their choices about what degrees and types of degrees to offer.....there is really not a huge difference between the two per say other than a "weak system" does not have a flagship campus as well which is the one that is usually the oldest, largest, and the one that offers the broadest number of masters and PhDs....this is not always the case like Berkeley is "Cal" and considered the "flagship" of the UC system, but UCLA is larger and does more research and probably offers and graduates the same or more graduate degrees

in the end both strong and weak systems have their own Board of Regents as well that represent all the universities and agencies in that system

at this time the Texas State System is moving towards becoming a strong system and that is part of the reason Angelo State left that system and joined the Texas Tech system

Edited by TexasVines

As detailed in this thread, the University of Houston-Downtown is going to get a new name. The administrators have picked ten finalists. But what do the HAIFers think? Here's your chance.

I'm enabling multi-vote, so pick up to three of your preferred names. You can pick just one or two if you want, too.

I don't intend this to duplicate the existing thread, so continue the discussion there.

UHCL, UHD, and UHV are freestanding universities within the UH system, UH Sugarland, and UH Cinco Ranch are system centers within the UH system

UHCL, UHD, and UHV all have their own president of the university and all have their own distinct ...

I understood they were "separate" but not fully. That was a very helpful explanation. Thanks for taking the time.

Next question...this is a change in name only, correct? They will retain their same status as part of the UH System, right?

They should have chosen Cullen State University. Don't know what was wrong with that name, or why they now have stupid names to choose from.

...or Hobby University, or Duncan University, or Sarofim University, or [Whoever commits $200 million to us] University. Although they might have to push back on any naming interest from Houston Endowment b/c they wouldn't want to be confused with Bob Jones University.

That's a lot of words for such a non-issue.

wait until you see the reply in the UH tier 1 thread

I understood they were "separate" but not fully. That was a very helpful explanation. Thanks for taking the time.

Next question...this is a change in name only, correct? They will retain their same status as part of the UH System, right?

yes

happy ltawacs :lol:

Anyone who doesn't understand the one is in downtown and the other is not should be deported. For chrissakes it's painfully obvious... Can we say the Astrodome is also in downtown? What about the med center? Is that downtown also? How about the galleria? Or the woodlands? Come on... give me a break.

You're always this surly aren't you?

I believe from the UHD standpoint there is something to gain.....most on this forum are educated well above the average first time college student and many were probably not first generation college students....and yet many on here have expressed that THEY were confused and others they interact with were confused by the association

if a first generation college student applies to UH and barely misses being accepted I feel there is a good chance they will assume like many on this forum and elsewhere that UHD is exactly the same as UH and therefor they will assume they will not be able to go to UHD as well when UHD is exactly where they belong

by making a distinction it will allow people (especially first gen students) to understand they need to apply to BOTH because they WILL be accepted to UHD even if declined at UH.....anyone that does not feel it is important to let first gen students know there are multiple opportunities out there for them (especially when many on here have told of their confusion) is crazy

The selected names doesn't sho the administrators as very smart. What happened to all the nice names with Houston in it? I voted for University of Southeast Texas. It's will give the least confusion. How in the world will people running from confusion select a name like Texas Southeast U when TSU is about 5 miles away?

The selected names doesn't sho the administrators as very smart. What happened to all the nice names with Houston in it? I voted for University of Southeast Texas. It's will give the least confusion. How in the world will people running from confusion select a name like Texas Southeast U when TSU is about 5 miles away?

Because the same idiots who think UH-Central is in Downtown should know that TSU is in the south and "Texas Southeast University" is in the southeast. I mean, come on man... isn't it obvious?

:)

Am I missing something? Is UH-D moving to Seguin?

None of these are too stellar. Hell, we already have a TSU and a UST in town as well as a South Texas College of Law in downtown proper.

What the hell happened to Cullen State? Or even a simple one like Houston State University?

These are THE SUCK. I can't bring myself to vote for any of them.

• Like 1

Am I missing something? Is UH-D moving to Seguin?

None of these are too stellar. Hell, we already have a TSU and a UST in town as well as a South Texas College of Law in downtown proper.

What the hell happened to Cullen State? Or even a simple one like Houston State University?

These are THE SUCK. I can't bring myself to vote for any of them.

Join the club. The only ones rejoicing are the regular slackers over at UH-Central.

Edited by LTAWACS