University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

I don't think any reputable employer is going to confuse a UH degree with a UH-D degree which makes plenty of arguments in this thread moot. I also seriously doubt UH-D decided to change it's name without a hint of pressure from the mother campus. I don't see how UH-D changing it's name is going to help in any way to make UH a more prestigious and recognized school which seems to be the one of the main arguments.

there are thousands if not tens of thousands of employers in Houston and many probably have HR people that are not from Houston or do not even live in Houston and many probably do not keep up with the daily goings on of universities and their affiliations to one another....but they probably do know the basics that UH means a quality college of business and a quality college of engineering and could easily assume that UHD holds to those same standards when that is far from the truth....A college education is about what is learned in and out of the classroom and that experience is heightened in a residential campus setting with tenure track, full time faculty VS a commuter campus with part time adjuncts

UH has worked to elevate their status and their students in many departments have worked hard to be admitted and graduate from those departments and they deserve to have recognition for that and not be confused with others

and just because you have a conspiracy theory behind why there is a push for a name change that does not mean it is true

no wonder our country is growing fuller of lazy slackers every day.....when people work hard for something people like you wish to call them "big", evil, or elitist, and wish to reward others the same that did not put in the same effort and were not subjected to the same rigors for their education

If it is as you see it then there is nothing to worry about for those at UHD because all that matters is a piece of paper that says degree on it and a major and what school is comes from is of no consequence so people coming out of UHD with a different name will have nothing at all to worry about because they have the piece of paper, but we all know that in reality this is far from true and that is what bothers people like you the most.....that some would actually wish to work harder and separate themselves from the pack and then be rewarded for it.......and we all know to make America better we need to end thinking like that and reward all equally no matter how much or how little effort they put in because that is "fair" and really good touchy feelies for everyone

also the name change might not make a difference over night, but UH is about to raise admissions dramatically which will mean that UHD and other schools will become larger because they will catch those that did not get admitted to UH.....UH suffers from a very low graduation % and as they raise admissions and bring in more residential students and try and raise their graduation % and their external funded research and their % of graduate students the difference between a degree from UH and UHD will grow larger so the time to make a name change is at the time when UH is looking to further elevate themselves not after it is all done....so the time to make the change is now, not after UH becomes a nationally recognized graduate and research university with an even higher level of funding and higher quality faculty and students

Edited by TexasVines

Sources?

the sources would be the multitude of rankings from just about every source of rankings for universities that consistantly rank 4 year residental research universities with full time, tenure track, faculty higher than commuter schools full of adjunct faculty

be it US News and some of their flaws or Business Week or sources that are specific to areas of study, the fact is that 4 year residental schools consistantly rank ahead of any commuter school full of adjunct faculty and the vast majority of time the students that come out of the 4 year schools start out higher paid and in higher positions than the students out of the commuter schools

name me any 4 year commuter school in any area of study that ranks highly in any ranking using any method of evaluation......you can choose to believe what you wish, but the reality is very clear for anyone that has their eyes open

Both schools are still document mills, despite any long winded retort.

The pressure is coming from Khator and potential tier 1 status. UHD students are up in arms, but they should be happy to have the distinction but cannot afford the inevitable accompanying tuition hike.

edit: btw that new dorm for UH is an abortion.

I will be so glad to get out of UH this year and never give a dime back as an alum or say anything positive about the place and culture except for a few stand out professors (who are being pushed out too).

Edited by infinite_jim

I guess I don't get out much but people getting UHD and the University of Houston confused seems to be a phenomenon known only to certain HAIF members.
many of the suburbanites who dont come in past the loop frequently confuse the two. everything inside the loop is downtown to them.

the sources would be the multitude of rankings from just about every source of rankings for universities that consistantly rank 4 year residental research universities with full time, tenure track, faculty higher than commuter schools full of adjunct faculty

be it US News and some of their flaws or Business Week or sources that are specific to areas of study, the fact is that 4 year residental schools consistantly rank ahead of any commuter school full of adjunct faculty and the vast majority of time the students that come out of the 4 year schools start out higher paid and in higher positions than the students out of the commuter schools

name me any 4 year commuter school in any area of study that ranks highly in any ranking using any method of evaluation......you can choose to believe what you wish, but the reality is very clear for anyone that has their eyes open

Your anecdotal quips from popular magazines do not qualify as sources. Nor are they scientific. You still have not named your sources.

As for starting pay, I think that would depend on one's major/minor and experience. The degree helps but is not the sole factor.

Are there no adjunct instructors at UH "Central" anymore? I'm sure there are. And as I recall, a lot of courses I took there were taught by the aides. The main instructor (most of the time not even a full fledged professor but an associate professor or assistant professor or even an adjunct) spoke for a few minutes, then left.

I also do not think that ALL of UH "Central" students live there. I think there is a significant portion that "commute" there as well. Most of the people I've met and known all "commute" there. It seems to me this "resident" flag you continuously wave is a little overrated.

If I remember correctly, UHD ranked high for its Management and MIS segments. The UHD Management school is accredited by the AACSB - just like "Central".

Edited by LTAWACS

I just realized that my resume still lists my BA as being from Southwest Texas State University.

I better switch it to Texas State University to impress my next potential employer. <_<

Seriously. An utter waste of money on 're-branding."

My BF works for the head of IT at UofH. He knows first hand how the sausage is made since Khatour's arrival. Here's his standard retort on tier 1: don't hold your breath. Khatour is driving out good professors right and left. She is loading up the engineering school with her husband's cronies. Admin systems are antiquated and broken. The alum donations are most definitely not meeting expectations. She's succeeded in inserting herself in every photo-op available, and little else---except for pissing off a whole lot of people for opening the campus after Ike even though the majority of profs weren't even there to teach class.

many of the suburbanites who dont come in past the loop frequently confuse the two. everything inside the loop is downtown to them.

What suburbanites say should have very little value if any at all.

Houston State U has a nice ring to it.

Edited by LTAWACS

For many years, I have met many UHD students/alumni who have passed themselves off to me as a UH student/alumni. They would answer "University of Houston," "U of H," or "UH" instead of "Universiyt of Houston-Downtown," "UH-Downtown" or "UHD." Upon further inquiry, I would find out that they never attended/graduated from UH, but from UHD instead! Normally, I would ask them questions about UH that only current students or alumni would know.

Many UHD students pass themselves off on their resume as students or graduates of UH. They would put "University of Houston" on their resume instead of "University of Houston-Downtown." I have seen many resumes from UHD students/alumni like this. UHD students/alumni putting "University of Houston" on their resume are falsifying information--intentionally or unintentionally. I strongly believe most are doing it intentionally to benefit them. As a result, students in the UH Bauer College of Business have been advised to put "University of Houston - C. T. Bauer College of Business" on their resume instead of just the plain simple "University of Houston."

I have worked with two UHD alumni since my graduation and have found that they are not that competent. Yet, they walk around passing themselves off as UH graduates, instead of UHD. I am very embarrassed by this for UH and so are many other alumni from UH's Bauer College of Business. Although they were not UH graduates, UHD alumni give us a bad reputation in the business world because so many of them claim they graduated from UH instead of UHD.

I came to UH for the Bauer College of Business and had to work hard to gain admission to the business school. Being admitted to UH does not mean you automatically meet requirements to be admitted to the Bauer College. Current UH students and transfers have to have at least a 2.75 GPA (4.0 scale and regardless of hours) in order to be admitted to the business school. At UHD, it is open admission to the university and business school. Open admission means you are admitted regardless of your academic standing. A person with a 1.0 GPA will be admitted to UHD. Many people on academic suspension from UH transfer to UHD. UHD is the only university in Texas that accepts people on academic suspension from other schools. Many people attending UHD were either denied admission to UH or couldn't make it at UH. I have met several people who couldn't make it at UH and end up transfering to UHD after being placed on academic suspension.

As stated by user TexasVines, "UH has built up a number of quality programs in business, law, engineering, architecture and other areas and those students that gain admissions to those programs based on hard work and grades deserve to have their degree recognized for the higher standards UH has over UHD."

As stated by TexasVines, "Many employers in Houston know the basics that UH means a quality college of business and a quality college of engineering and could easily assume that UHD holds to those same standards when that is far from truth. UH has worked to elevate their status and their students in many academic colleges/departments have worked hard to be admitted and graduate from those colleges/departments and they deserve to have recognition for that and not be confused with UHD."

Ever since highschool, I have heard many outsiders make comments such as "Everyone gets into UH; no one can get denied from there." Ignorant people make comments like this because of the confusion between UH and UHD. Most people do not know UH and UHD are two SEPARATE universities. In fall 2006, only 74% of the applicants were admitted to UH while 100% were admitted to UHD. This is why UHD needs a name change to distinguish itself and end the confusion with UH. How can we (UH) elevate our status and get the recognition we deserve if UHD keeps its current name??? People have negative views of UH because they think UH and UHD are the same university (which they are not). A lot of people who attends UHD run around saying they go to UH and this gives people (outsiders) the wrong impression that UH admits everyone. As a result, UH suffers from this damaging reputation.

I took one class at UHD as a transient (visiting) student during the summer of 2004. The differences between UH and UHD were night and day. I felt UHD was like a highschool and being in a third world country. No wonder people call us (UH) "Cougar High" because they confused UHD with UH.

As of September 2008, only 36,098 people can claim that they go to UH (the third-largest university in Texas). However, a lot of the 12,283 people at UHD are incorrectly claiming (LYING intentionally) that they attend UH as well (which they don't).

The cougar mascot and the red and white colors are exclusively for UH. UHD has their own mascot (Gator) and colors (blue and red) because they are a SEPARATE university, not a branch campus of UH.

Edited by FordGuyHTX

For many years, I have met many UHD students/alumni who have passed themselves off to me as a UH student/alumni. They would answer "University of Houston," "U of H," or "UH" instead of "UH-Downtown" or "UHD." Upon further inquiry, I would find out that the never attended/graduated from UH, but from UHD instead! Normally, I would ask them questions about UH that only current students or alumni would know.

Many UHD students pass themselves off on their resume as students or graduates of UH. They would put "University of Houston" on their resume instead of "University of Houston-Downtown." I have seen many resumes from UHD students/alumni like this. UHD students/alumni putting "University of Houston" on their resume are falsifying information--intentionally or unintentionally. I strongly believe most are doing it intentionally to benefit them. As a result, students in the UH Bauer College of Business have been advised to put "University of Houston - C. T. Bauer College of Business" on their resume instead of just the plain simple "University of Houston."

I have worked with two UHD alumni since my graduation and have found that they are not that competent. Yet, they walk around passing themselves off as UH graduates, instead of UHD. I am very embarrassed by this for UH and so are many other alumni from UH's Bauer College of Business. Although they were not UH graduates, UHD alumni give us a bad reputation in the business world because so many of them claim they graduated from UH instead of UHD.

I came to UH for the Bauer College of Business and had to work hard to gain admission to the business school. Being admitted to UH does not mean you automatically meet requirements to be admitted to the Bauer College. Current UH students and transfers have to have at least a 2.75 GPA (4.0 scale and regardless of hours) in order to be admitted to the business school. At UHD, it is open admission to the university and business school. Open admission means you are admitted regardless of your academic standing. A person with a 1.0 GPA will be admitted to UHD. Many people on academic suspension from UH transfer to UHD. UHD is the only university in Texas that accepts people on academic suspension from other schools. Many people attending UHD were either denied admission to UH or couldn't make it at UH. I have met several people who couldn't make it at UH and end up transfering to UHD after being placed on academic suspension.

As stated by user TexasVines, "UH has built up a number of quality programs in business, law, engineering, architecture and other areas and those students that gain admissions to those programs based on hard work and grades deserve to have their degree recognized for the higher standards UH has over UHD."

As stated by TexasVines, "Many employers in Houston know the basics that UH means a quality college of business and a quality college of engineering and could easily assume that UHD holds to those same standards when that is far from truth. UH has worked to elevate their status and their students in many academic colleges/departments have worked hard to be admitted and graduate from those colleges/departments and they deserve to have recognition for that and not be confused with UHD."

Ever since highschool, I have heard many outsiders make comments such as "Everyone gets into UH; no one can get denied from there." Ignorant people make comments like this because of the confusion between UH and UHD. Most people do not know UH and UHD are two SEPARATE universities. In fall 2006, only 74% of the applicants were admitted to UH while 100% were admitted to UHD. This is why UHD needs a name change to distinguish itself and end the confusion with UH. How can we (UH) elevate our status and get the recognition we deserve if UHD keeps its current name??? People have negative views of UH because they think UH and UHD are the same university (which they are not). A lot of people who attends UHD run around saying they go to UH and this gives people (outsiders) the wrong impression that UH admits everyone. As a result, UH suffers from this damaging reputation.

I took one class at UHD as a transient (visiting) student during the summer of 2004. The differences between UH and UHD were night and day. I felt UHD was like a highschool and being in a third world country. No wonder people call us (UH) "Cougar High" because they confused UHD with UH.

As of September 2008, only 36,098 people can claim that they go to UH (the third-largest university in Texas). However, a lot of the 12,283 people at UHD are incorrectly claiming (LYING intentionally) that they attend UH as well (which they don't).

The cougar mascot and the red and white colors are exclusively for UH. UHD has their own mascot (Gator) and colors (blue and red) because they are a SEPARATE university, not a branch campus of UH.

Did you graduate from UH? What school did you attend prior to UH? What major/minor?

Did you graduate from UH? What school did you attend prior to UH? What major/minor?

Can I ask why you inquire the above information?

Yes, I graduated from the University of Houston ("UH") with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Accounting. I have mentioned this in previous posts.

I went straight to UH after graduating from high school in 2002. I have never attended another college or university prior to enrolling at UH. Were you referring to what high school I graduated from?

I attended UHD as a transient (visiting) student during the summer of 2004 for 1 class and that was it.

Any other questions?

Edited by FordGuyHTX

Yes, I graduated from the University of Houston ("UH") with a Bachelor of Business Administration degree in Accounting. I have mentioned this in previous posts.

I went straight to UH after graduating from high school in 2002. I have never attended another college or university prior to enrolling at UH. Were you referring to what high school I graduated from?

I attended UHD as a transient (visiting) student during the summer of 2004 for 1 class and that was it.

Any other questions?

Of course you may. To answer, I was simply curious. Your zeal in championing this cause reminds me of some sort of inferiority complex. It seems that if one really cared about the name of the school on their resume, one would attend an Ivy League school up north and not have to worry about such trifles as changing the name of another school.

I've interviewed candidates from UT, Texas Tech, Rice, and other notable schools. I've also interviewed candidates from UHD, UH Central, Clear Lake, San Jacinto, and HCC. I can tell you firsthand that just having the names of the "better" schools on your resume does not guarantee you actually know what you're talking about.

Edited by LTAWACS

Both schools are still document mills, despite any long winded retort.

The pressure is coming from Khator and potential tier 1 status. UHD students are up in arms, but they should be happy to have the distinction but cannot afford the inevitable accompanying tuition hike.

edit: btw that new dorm for UH is an abortion.

I will be so glad to get out of UH this year and never give a dime back as an alum or say anything positive about the place and culture except for a few stand out professors (who are being pushed out too).

I HATE reading the last part but it is systemic of the problems UH faces. UH gets the shaft every year by the state of Texas. It receives pennies on the dollar compared to UT and ATM but in the average student's mind, everything should function as it does in Austin or Aggieland where many UH students seem to start out their educations.

UH NEEDS alumni support but only receives about a 5-6% giving rate. That is low which only makes the state funding gap magnified. As a point of comparison, my tiny liberal arts college undergrad received about a 45% alumni giving rate!

I hate that UH seemingly produces so many complainers but few problem solvers upon graduation. I know tens of UH alums who still show allegiances to UT or ATM and even go so far as to give them money over their true alma mater.

I am not sure this cycle can ever be broken.

I HATE reading the last part but it is systemic of the problems UH faces. UH gets the shaft every year by the state of Texas. It receives pennies on the dollar compared to UT and ATM but in the average student's mind, everything should function as it does in Austin or Aggieland where many UH students seem to start out their educations.

UH NEEDS alumni support but only receives about a 5-6% giving rate. That is low which only makes the state funding gap magnified. As a point of comparison, my tiny liberal arts college undergrad received about a 45% alumni giving rate!

I hate that UH seemingly produces so many complainers but few problem solvers upon graduation. I know tens of UH alums who still show allegiances to UT or ATM and even go so far as to give them money over their true alma mater.

I am not sure this cycle can ever be broken.

Well my opinion is symptomatic of the administration's short sighted vision of filling classrooms to get more state money and in result has lead to a drastic loss of quality in education and faculty. The committees that search for new professors have produced some of the most disappointing professors of recent. To elaborate, some of the professors treat the tenure system like welfare babies, just showing up everyday, neglecting their students, and looking busy. Competition for the good professors is stifling, considering it is really just luck of the draw that you happened to have SS# that falls on an earlier time frame for enrollment, which leads to collusion amongst students for placement.

I had some solutions but when I presented them to the dean I was dismissed for "not understanding the greater scope of the problem." My response was to keep walking in my path. I may be an undergrad but contempt from the administration is a sign of blissful ignorance. They have never shown any political transparency towards the student body. The moves they have made in the last four years would be best described as lateral drift, trying to cover more ground than footing. In reflection to my contemporaries at Rice, I am competent but realizing my education would not challenge me I took it upon myself to create challenges/enter competitions. I do believe that the administration wants better for UH grads but is not willing to take some of the now radical steps of humility necessary to ensure students quality learning experiences.

I should also mention, incoming students do not have intellectual curiosity aside from the few and far between gifted ones. That might be a result of changed admissions but I have not kept up on that front. I can tell of the many classes I've sat in where the prof asks a question and the room is sill with silence, makes the baby jesus cry I tells ya.

If UH does eventually get tier 1 status, hopefully things will change on the ground.

Edited by infinite_jim

Well my opinion is symptomatic of the administration's short sighted vision of filling classrooms to get more state money and in result has lead to a drastic loss of quality in education and faculty. The committees that search for new professors have produced some of the most disappointing professors of recent. To elaborate, some of the professors treat the tenure system like welfare babies, just showing up everyday, neglecting their students, and looking busy. Competition for the good professors is stifling, considering it is really just luck of the draw that you happened to have SS# that falls on an earlier time frame for enrollment, which leads to collusion amongst students for placement.

I had some solutions but when I presented them to the dean I was dismissed for "not understanding the greater scope of the problem." My response was to keep walking in my path. I may be an undergrad but contempt from the administration is a sign of blissful ignorance. They have never shown any political transparency towards the student body. The moves they have made in the last four years would be best described as lateral drift, trying to cover more ground than footing. In reflection to my contemporaries at Rice, I am competent but realizing my education would not challenge me I took it upon myself to create challenges/enter competitions. I do believe that the administration wants better for UH grads but is not willing to take some of the now radical steps of humility necessary to ensure students quality learning experiences.

I should also mention, incoming students do not have intellectual curiosity aside from the few and far between gifted ones. That might be a result of changed admissions but I have not kept up on that front. I can tell of the many classes I've sat in where the prof asks a question and the room is sill with silence, makes the baby jesus cry I tells ya.

If UH does eventually get tier 1 status, hopefully things will change on the ground.

at any large university including UT and A&M you will need to be a "joiner" to set yourself apart because they are so large...UH has to put buts in seats because Texas wrongly funds all schools with the exception of UT, TAMU, and PVAMU based on enrollment....but the reality is with the PUF today even those schools do not get a great deal more funding than other schools and they are well behind their peer schools in other states and they do still get some of their funding based on enrollment....alumni giving does help UT and TAMU though

and being tier 1 will not change zombie students that will change with admissions standards increasing.....it would also change with high schools actually educating kids VS passing kids so their parent(s) does not get mad because they don't make them study and care nothing about anything, but getting them up to 18 and out of the house....I have sat in many classes full of zombie students to the point that it was like me and the professor were having a one on one chat....mainly because I have an ipinion on everything and I was older than many of the students and because todays students are "learned" to not question and that whatever some garbage head professor spews is an absolute truth....and many students are totally apathetic to anything and void of free will because that gets you sent to the office in high schools of today

as for the person that interviews people....since you are getting people from UT and Tech and other schools along with UHD and others have you ever considered that you are getting the top of the crop from UHD and the like while you are getting the lesser students from the better schools because the better students have already secured a better position.....so you are possibly making a comparison between the top of one school and the leftovers of another school

Edited by TexasVines

Any other questions?

LOL I never have this problem. I got my Masters from the Moores School of Music. On resumes and audition documents, I just put "Moores School of Music- University of Houston" and people know exactly where I am talking about. Of course I guess it helps that UHD doesn't have a music program of any kind.

For many years, I have met many UHD students/alumni who have passed themselves off to me as a UH student/alumni. They would answer "University of Houston," "U of H," or "UH" instead of "Universiyt of Houston-Downtown," "UH-Downtown" or "UHD." Upon further inquiry, I would find out that they never attended/graduated from UH, but from UHD instead! Normally, I would ask them questions about UH that only current students or alumni would know.

This might be shocking if passing oneself off as a UofH grad meant something special. It doesn't, and who cares so much about where folks went to school?

as for the person that interviews people....since you are getting people from UT and Tech and other schools along with UHD and others have you ever considered that you are getting the top of the crop from UHD and the like while you are getting the lesser students from the better schools because the better students have already secured a better position.....so you are possibly making a comparison between the top of one school and the leftovers of another school

That would be me. I was lead business analyst in a previous position. And no, I never really considered that far-fetched idea. Almost all the candidates from the "better" schools felt the need to display their GPA. A 3.8 means nothing if you can't form your sentences correctly (looks at your post) or don't know what goes into a CPAM.

Edited by LTAWACS

• 1 month later...

I never realized, even when living in Houston, that there was a difference between UH and UHD - I just assumed that they were different venues for the same University.

If the University of Houston System is actually providing a different product on the two campuses, they should be branded separately.

I am not aware of how vast the differences are, but if UHD is actually graduating enough students at an academic level that truly diminishes the perception of UH, a stronger differentiation is in order.

This situation is somewhat unique to the UH System due to the close proximity of all of its campuses, but there are certainly ways to provide a top tier education at the main campus while also serving the missions of the satellite campuses.

Well, it's not the best choice, but lord knows it's not the worst choice either so we should be happy about that. "HMU" is a reasonable good acronym; perhaps people will confuse it will HBU but some people will manage to confuse just about anything.

Not bad. In fact, I haven't seen anything better. It's already starting to grow on me. Reasonably applicable description and rolls off the tongue pretty nicely. And, as you said, it could have been SOO...OOO..OOOO much worse.

• Like 1

Not bad. In fact, I haven't seen anything better. It's already starting to grow on me. Reasonably applicable description and rolls off the tongue pretty nicely. And, as you said, it could have been SOO...OOO..OOOO much worse.

You know, I kind of feel the same way. I really haven't heard or seen anything "better" so I can live with the new name (if it gets final approval). Better than some convoluted directional name with an obscure geographical reference, like the University of SE Texas Gulfcoast (USETG).

;)

This was by far the best choice.....the others were awkward, violated all the common conceptions about present day university naming (like multi directional), lacked anything but a very small regional focus that most would have not understood (Like Hobby), or were just plain stupid and ignorant (like hopes and dreams (hopefully the idiot that suggested that is back scrubbing toilets) :rolleyes: )