University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

Guess which name they will come up with? One of those suggested by HAIFers.

I really don't fancy Lone Star College. There are too many lone star business around here for a college system to take up same name. Why can't students and alumni vote on a new name?

Lone Star College was not the name of choice by many residents, staff, faculty and students. Many staffers couldn't believe that name was chosen.

Lone Star College was not the name of choice by many residents, staff, faculty and students. Many staffers couldn't believe that name was chosen.

I agree, don't like Lone Star for a college ...reminds me of the beer. Thought they could have done better with that one. None of the final choices were very good. And, it just doesn't sound very scholarly.

I agree with Redscare, UH - Downtown should just keep their name the same. The UH name change on the main campus (imo) in the past didn't seem to help. If Downtown really wants to split from the system, maybe they should just juggle the words to say "Downtown Houston University". If distant prospective college students got confused with the two campuses before, that should simplify it for them ;) .

• Like 1

I agree, don't like Lone Star for a college ...reminds me of the beer. Thought they could have done better with that one. None of the final choices were very good. And, it just doesn't sound very scholarly.

I agree with Redscare, UH - Downtown should just keep their name the same. The UH name change on the main campus (imo) in the past didn't seem to help. If Downtown really wants to split from the system, maybe they should just juggle the words to say "Downtown Houston University". If distant prospective college students got confused with the two campuses before, that should simplify it for them ;) .

Your suggestion is the only one I like more than 'Houston City University'

UH-Downtown is not splitting from the system just changing the name to alleviate some confusion

Perhaps three charts below will help people who are confused regarding history of the UH System, its four universities and how they came about. I tend to write long posts and people do not read the entire thing.

I hope the information below will help clarify confusions or misconceptions people on here might have had as it is very hard to explain the structure of the UH System in words. This is the only way for people to see how UHCL, UHD, and UHV are separate or "independent" of UH. Simply put, UHCL, UHD, and UHV are not branch campuses of UH! In addition, you guys will also see that "UH System" and "UH" are not the same thing.

UH no longer has a "central campus" as all of its branch campuses have separated and became stand-alone universities in 1983.

Click on the "Click to view full image" to enlarge for better viewing and reading.

UHS_Timeline.PNG

Edited by FordGuyHTX

I understand what the chart says, and believe that as long as the name UH is in front of the Downtown name, people will automatically assume the campuses are linked. I change my mind, I now believe the UH -Downtown name definitely needs to change. I stand by my idea...DHU. Also, (imo) people probably assume that since many major universities are found in the middle of downtown areas, they think ours is as well. Little do they know, Houston isn't like everyone else. ;):P

Thnx for the simplified chart, Fordguy.

Think I'll head over to the UH-Classic next semester...

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

None of those are very good at all. What's next? DUH? (Downtown University of Houston). This is all just as bad as one of their last campaigns. Something about "The emphasis is on the D". As in, "I made a D".

Allen State University

Cullen State Universtiy

Something more scholarly as someone mentioned above. Nothing retarded such as University of Hopes and Dreams. This evokes images of a pauper attending school against all the odds. No.

None of those are very good at all. What's next? DUH? (Downtown University of Houston). This is all just as bad as one of their last campaigns. Something about "The emphasis is on the D". As in, "I made a D".

Allen State University

Cullen State Universtiy

Something more scholarly as someone mentioned above. Nothing retarded such as University of Hopes and Dreams. This evokes images of a pauper attending school against all the odds. No.

I thought DHU sounded a little like SMU, more formal than some of the other suggestions, although SMU is a private, not public university. By the way, that was my suggestion about "scholarly" above. I don't normally associate grades with names of universities as much as I do locations. If so, I would have suggested GPA. PS - I didn't get C's when attending HCC. I can respect others opinions, and I do like the names Allen & Cullen you've incorporated into your suggestions. Always thought the Allen brothers should have more things named after them. Guess we'll have to wait & see what they pick.

• Like 1

I thought DHU sounded a little like SMU, more formal than some of the other suggestions, although SMU is a private, not public university. By the way, that was my suggestion about "scholarly" above. I don't normally associate grades with names of universities as much as I do locations. If so, I would have suggested GPA. PS - I didn't get C's when attending HCC. I can respect others opinions, and I do like the names Allen & Cullen you've incorporated into your suggestions. Always thought the Allen brothers should have more things named after them. Guess we'll have to wait & see what they pick.

Yes, I know what you mean.

I think DUH and I think... who's going to buy a shirt with "DUH" in big bold letters? Duh? But you are correct. We shall have to wait and see. I wonder what the UHD Alumni Association has to say about this? And I wonder how to reflect the name change on the resumes from those who graduated from UHD. Hrm...

• Like 1

I guess I don't get out much but people getting UHD and the University of Houston confused seems to be a phenomenon known only to certain HAIF members. Even out of towners seem to understand that UH is in 3rd Ward, not downtown and that UHD is an open enrollment campus in the UH system. Besides, why just change the UHD name and not the other campuses? This hypothetical confusion can be spread across all UH affiliated campuses.

Just face facts; UH is a decent, middle of the road university largely ignored by many but still turns out alot of successful graduates and it just happens to have a dreaded open enrollment college that caters to those pesky minorities in it's system.

All the suggested name changes are ridiculous as well.

Edited by MetroMogul

I guess I don't get out much but people getting UHD and the University of Houston confused seems to be a phenomenon known only to certain HAIF members. Even out of towners seem to understand that UH is in 3rd Ward, not downtown and that UHD is an open enrollment campus in the UH system.

Actually, out-of-towners have heard of neither the 3rd Ward nor UHD until they become in-towners.

How about non-native Houstonians then editor? I've never encountered ANYONE that has confused the two schools, especially not to the point that it needs a ridiculous name change. I'm sure it's easier to confuse Tennessee State University with Texas Southern University than UH with UH-D. Much time and money has been wasted to give a school a name that I'm sure will make it sound like a low rate junior college or Internet diploma mill.

I still don't understand the underlying motivations for this. Why does it matter if people confuse these schools?

Apparently, because some UH alums feel that the lesser status of their degree is attributable to UHD. I don't know anyone who attributes it to UHD. I, like everyone I know, attributes the lesser status of a UH degree to the unintelligible comments of some UH alums.

(Note: I do not actually think UH is a lesser degree. I do, however, feel that UH has produced some ignorant graduates, and the comments on this topic reflect same.)

I guess this is good news for me after all. Once UH-D changes it's name, thereby allowing UH to go from also ran large college to Ivy League Megapower~!, the value of my girlfriends Education degree shall increase twelvefold. No longer will she have to merely teach, she will be offered Abe Saveddra's job due to the sudden, magical increase in prestige of UH degree's now that they shall no longer be associated with that haven of rogues and scoundrels known as UH-D.

That's funny, but I don't think UHD students will laugh. I stand by Houston City University.

Yeah...it was funny to me.

That's all that matters, fool. I don't give a rat's behind what they think!

If they don't like it, they can put on their red and white Coogah "big girl panties" and get over it. :lol:<_<:lol:

Edited by Disastro

I still don't understand the underlying motivations for this. Why does it matter if people confuse these schools?

because they are two separate universities that are about to go on dramatically separate paths

UH is going to raise admissions standards pretty quickly and attempt to gain more state funding to be the or one of the next "tier 1" universities in Texas with a goal of 100 million plus in externally funded research and attempt to open a medical school and gain a larger on campus population while UHD will continue to be an open admissions school with primarily commuter students

as for those that make ignorant comments about UH worrying about minorities and the association with them it was UHD that proposed the name change not UH and UH is one of the most diverse campuses in the US

as for the association with an open enrollment school UH has built up a number of quality programs in Business and other areas and those students that gain admissions to those programs based on hard work and grades deserve to have their degree recognized for the higher standards UH has over UHD

Edited by TexasVines

because they are two separate universities that are about to go on dramatically separate paths

UH is going to raise admissions standards pretty quickly and attempt to gain more state funding to be the or one of the next "tier 1" universities in Texas with a goal of 100 million plus in externally funded research and attempt to open a medical school and gain a larger on campus population while UHD will continue to be an open admissions school with primarily commuter students

as for those that make ignorant comments about UH worrying about minorities and the association with them it was UHD that proposed the name change not UH and UH is one of the most diverse campuses in the US

as for the association with an open enrollment school UH has built up a number of quality programs in Business and other areas and those students that gain admissions to those programs based on hard work and grades deserve to have their degree recognized for the higher standards UH has over UHD

Well said TexasVines!

Edited by FordGuyHTX

I don't think any reputable employer is going to confuse a UH degree with a UH-D degree which makes plenty of arguments in this thread moot. I also seriously doubt UH-D decided to change it's name without a hint of pressure from the mother campus. I don't see how UH-D changing it's name is going to help in any way to make UH a more prestigious and recognized school which seems to be the one of the main arguments.