University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

Yes, it is absolutely correct that I am incredibly biased against degree mills superimposed on top of football factories.

and you also seem "smart" enough to judge a 50,000+ student university based on 100 students in the football program....I am sure this lends credibility to your opinion and the next time rankings services and university studies the world over come out with a list of top universities they will include your "proven" method of judging a school based on .002 or less of the total student body :huh::rolleyes:

LOL the same??? Different strokes for differnt folks dude. My whole degree program... Bachelor's, Masters or Doctoral... doesn't even exist at UHD/HMU. I should know b/c I taught there as a lecturer last summer. But I haven't taught any classes at UH b/c I don't have a doctorate. They're totally different entities that hapen to share some very common accreditations.

That's what I said.

I never mentioned the degree programs at either. Accreditation. In what did you major? Art?

No need to be obnoxious. I was just answering his question.

Didn't mean to. I just wanted to point out that it really ISN'T confusing.

Read through this thread. There are a lot of people that have applied to the wrong school (I almost did that, when I moved to Houston from out of town and didn't know the difference between UH and UHD). It is a problem for both students and for employers; and when employers are confused it is going to tend to hurt the graduates from the better school (like me) and help the ones from the lesser school.

...and you aren't going to have very many more people wanting to go to a school until the school becomes perceived as more exclusive. Focusing on the really motivated students doesn't garner a great deal of recognition among really motivated potential students whose first choice is currently UT-A, A&M, or a better out-of-state university.

When I first enrolled there, UH was open enrollment and it was my first choice because I wasn't even in the top 50% ranking for a crappy high school (I just didn't give a ____ most of the time) and was also missing a semester of foreign language that would've been necessary to get into UT or A&M. At first I was a psych student because that was in a college that would take me. After a year, my grades were good enough that I easily transferred into C.T. Bauer.

Historically, what you're saying is true; UH has not been about the perception of exclusivity. However I want that to change so that the earning power and social status associated with my UH degrees go up. Let the ESL students, poor children of immigrants, and knuckleheads like I was go to HMU or HCC for a couple of years. If they're good enough, UH can then take them as transfer students. I see nothing wrong with that. And by filtering out more of the riff raff from the student population, more people will prefer UH as their first choice. I guarantee that application levels would increase.

It sounds like someone woke up on the wrong side of the couch.

this post alone proves you have no clue about what you are talking about

if any HS counselor is dumb enough to think this then they are too dumb to even be a high school counselor

Which is why they are counselors.

An editorial by FordGuyHTX:

I was thrilled to have learned that the UH System ("UHS") Board of Regents approved the initiation of a name change for the University of Houston-Downtown ("UHD"). When I saw the headline in the Houston Chronicle about UHD initiating the name change, I said to myself, "IT IS ABOUT TIME!!!"

I have been hoping for this moment (UHD to change its name) ever since I started my freshman year at the University of Houston ("UH") back in 2002. There had been discussion about possible name change of UHD since 2004, but it never went anywhere. I am glad both UH System and UHD are moving forward with the name change in 2008 thanks to the support of Renu Khator (Chancellor of UH System and President of the University of Houston) in cooperation with Max Castillo (President of UH-Downtown). Although this is late, but never late then ever. I believe the UH-Downtown name change initiation is part of the UH System agenda for the University of Houston (UH) to move forward and become the next third flagship university in Texas--along with The University of Texas at Austin and Texas A&M University.

As a graduate of the University of Houston's Bauer College of Business (BBA '06), I am tired of people asking me what "campus" I attended and having to explain that UH only has one campus located at 4800 Calhoun Rd. I have refrained from referring to my alma mater as "UH-Central" or "UH Main Campus" as the University of Houston is not a multi-campus university.

Most people think that UH-Downtown is a branch, satellite or extension campus of UH, which it is not. The general public thinks that UH-Downtown and UH are the same university. Hopefully the name change of UHD will end the reference of UH as "UH-Central" or "UH main campus". References to UH such as "UH-Central" and "UH Main Campus" are misnomers.

With all these people referring to UH as "UH-Central" or "UH Main Campus" are the reasons why UH System and the students/alumni at UH advocate the name change of UH-Downtown.

A lot of UHD students and graduates I have met believe that they are part of UH. They would tell me they attend or graduated from UH, but to find out that they really attend or graduated from UHD (they lied, either intentionally or unintentionally)! People who graduated from UHD or not UH graduates and they do not have any rights pertaining to UH. The students and alumni at UH do not want to be associated with UHD. A lot of UHD graduates also falsify their resumes by putting down they graduated from "University of Houston" when they should have put "University of Houston-Downtown".

The time has come to elevate the status of the University of Houston (UH) by renaming UH-Downtown to something else without the root name "University of Houston." UH doesn't have the image it deserves because it has been negatively affected by UH-Downtown by the general public thinking they are the

same university.

For the last time, the flagship institution of the UH System (UHS) is referred to as the University of Houston ("UH"), not "UH-Central" or "UH Main Campus". Additionally, UH-Downtown (UHD) is not a branch or satellite campus of UH. With all these people referring to UH as "UH-Central" or "UH Main Campus" are the reasons why UH System and the students/alumni at UH advocate the name change of UH-Downtown.

For the renaming of UH-Downtown, I would suggest the following:

• Cullen State University (CSU)
  • Houston Metropolitan University (HMU)
  • University of Houston-Commerce (UHC)

Although I prefer the name University of Houston-Commerce, it would defeat the 90% purpose of renaming UH-Downtown. I don't have anything against UH-Downtown, but it needs to have a name other than "Downtown" in order to eliminate the confusion of being a branch or satellite campus of the University of Houston ("UH").

The University of Houston (UH) had officially changed its name to "University of Houston-University Park" in 1985, but reverted back to "University of Houston" in 1988. This name change was an effort by the UH administration to give its flagship institution of the UH System a distinctive name that would eliminate confusion with the other three UH System (UHS) universities (UH-Clear Lake, UH-Downtown, and UH-Victoria). The University of Houston (UH) will not go through another name change again--we are the University of Houston and will remain that way. It is now UH-Downtown's turn to change its name and establish their own identity to end the confusion with the University of Houston.

LOL!!!!

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here and literally laughed when I read this post.

I joined this forum to find more information about the proposed soccer stadium and have enjoyed reading the hundreds of other threads this massive forum has to offer . . . then I came across this gem tonight.

I'm a memeber of another message board and find it hilarious that this guy is posting the same quality, overkill elsewhere. Priceless. :lol:

Houston Main Street University

Discovery Houston University

Houston City Centre University

maybe they could sell the naming rights for the whole school... Thats never been done before.

Minute Maid University of Houston

Edited by Highway6

I think the name change is appropriate. It will give UH-D its own identity, which should be separate from UH.

Over the last few weeks I've come around to the "City University of Houston" idea.

I think the name would help convey the UH System's desire to make the distinction between the University of Houston as a national research university, and the "City University of Houston" as a more locally-centered school.

I fail to understand why there would be confusion in the first place. It's as if some people confuse their left foot from their right foot. Come on...

Also, Dr. Uzman has a good point.

actually he has a stupid point

in a quick google search of the two metro universities that come up in the USA one is exactly like what UHD is

http://archive.metrostate.edu/academic/

and the other is like what he describes.....but they recently changed their name to something stupid

http://www.fmu.edu/

and 4 in England are much better sounding than UHD

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/

http://www.lmu.ac.uk/

http://www.sihe.ac.uk/

same for South Africa (though I suspect if UHD wanted a name like this it would fly through)

http://www.nmmu.ac.za/default.asp?bhcp=1

sounds to me like Dr. Uzman needs to get a clue and get out more and UHD should just go ahead and change their name to some ignorant PC crap like Hopes and Dreams, Obama/Chavez State, Social Promotion State, or We Hand'um Degree State

that was by far the best name of the bunch and it sounds like they let the biggest dullards of their faculty make a false claim with nothing to support it because he wants some garbage name...UHD is hardly some school that can make any type of "gravitas" claaim seeing as it is an open enrollment school offering tons of classes for people that are behind coming out of high school

"The most ethnically diverse, the most racially diverse university in the system and you say, 'Change your name,' " Rose said. "Marketing can fix (any confusion)."

and to make the claim above when UH is one of the most diverse schools in the USA with the first female Indian born president and chancellor just shows childish ignorance....the other names suck and some have been proven to turn students off because of bi-directional wordiness (that has been proven in study after study to be associated with a lesser school) or they just sound stupid...."City" State University

someone needs to tell Dr. Uzman exactly what UHD is.....and it ain't "gravitas" that is for damn sure or anything to faithfully and appropriately reflect upon

they should just go ahead and change UHD to "Liberal PC Crapper University"

Thank goodness that name was dropped - sounded very DeVry-esque to me.

I am all for UH remaining in the name since it is part of the UH system. The others are geographically named and I think it works, so I think a cheesy name change isn't needed to begin with.

• Like 1

Thank goodness that name was dropped - sounded very DeVry-esque to me.

I am all for UH remaining in the name since it is part of the UH system. The others are geographically named and I think it works, so I think a cheesy name change isn't needed to begin with.

http://www.atlm.edu/index.html

yet another "metro" school that looks a LOT like UHD and nothing like devry

maybe they should call it barbera J's and mickey L's bayou school that is real good

University of Jan Brady.

'It's always UH, UH, UH!"

Or perhaps:

UH-Mulligan

UH-Differentiate (no need to change initials)

UH-We're Kinda Not UH

TCBUH (This Can't Be UH!)

Cougar High-Downtown

U. of Inferiority Complex System-Downtown campus

Stylz G. White U.

U. of Fragrant Bayou

U.'ve Got to be Kidding

University of Talula Does the Hula From Houston

University of Lemonjello

UH-Surely (if they have a flight school)

UH-And We're Not (perhaps better for the Chevy Chase, MD campus)

Not You're Father's UH

Preparation H

Nosoupfor U.

RFU (

)

Client #9 U.

U. Know What?

U. Win

U. Should See What We Rejected!

U. Light Up My Life

U. Might Be a Redneck

I Can Name That U. in 3 Notes

U. Whatever

and my favorite choice:

UH-Ostensibly Houston, aka UH-OH!

Edited by pestofan

UT was ranked 15th among public universities and in the top 50 overall in US News' last College Rankings.

Either you are incredibly biased, you were scarred as a young child by a longhorn, or you have no idea what you are talking about.

AGREED--Nothing against Rice BUT why would I pay twice as much for an engineering degree that is ranked twice as low compared to UT! :wacko:

<Back to the name change and general UH discussion.>

UH is a great local school but it didn't offer what I wanted at the time - Petroleum Engineering degree (B.S.). I would consider for a M.S. but don't need at the time.

Edited by JJVilla

actually he has a stupid point

in a quick google search of the two metro universities that come up in the USA one is exactly like what UHD is

http://archive.metrostate.edu/academic/

and the other is like what he describes.....but they recently changed their name to something stupid

http://www.fmu.edu/

and 4 in England are much better sounding than UHD

http://www.mmu.ac.uk/

http://www.londonmet.ac.uk/

http://www.lmu.ac.uk/

http://www.sihe.ac.uk/

same for South Africa (though I suspect if UHD wanted a name like this it would fly through)

http://www.nmmu.ac.za/default.asp?bhcp=1

sounds to me like Dr. Uzman needs to get a clue and get out more and UHD should just go ahead and change their name to some ignorant PC crap like Hopes and Dreams, Obama/Chavez State, Social Promotion State, or We Hand'um Degree State

that was by far the best name of the bunch and it sounds like they let the biggest dullards of their faculty make a false claim with nothing to support it because he wants some garbage name...UHD is hardly some school that can make any type of "gravitas" claaim seeing as it is an open enrollment school offering tons of classes for people that are behind coming out of high school

"The most ethnically diverse, the most racially diverse university in the system and you say, 'Change your name,' " Rose said. "Marketing can fix (any confusion)."

and to make the claim above when UH is one of the most diverse schools in the USA with the first female Indian born president and chancellor just shows childish ignorance....the other names suck and some have been proven to turn students off because of bi-directional wordiness (that has been proven in study after study to be associated with a lesser school) or they just sound stupid...."City" State University

someone needs to tell Dr. Uzman exactly what UHD is.....and it ain't "gravitas" that is for damn sure or anything to faithfully and appropriately reflect upon

they should just go ahead and change UHD to "Liberal PC Crapper University"

What is your major malfunction?

Not changed yet... but I hope they don't change it...

Well lets see, they NEED to change the name because it is confused with the University of Houston, they are trying to elevate themselves to Tier 1 (and i really hope they do!!) a good name would be Houston University Downtown. (HUD) (Not to be confused with the Rural Housing Program lol) or even Southeastern Texas University (STU).

Edited by FalconRanch1

Well lets see, they NEED to change the name because it is confused with the University of Houston, they are trying to elevate themselves to Tier 1 (and i really hope they do!!) a good name would be Houston University Downtown. (HUD) (Not to be confused with the Rural Housing Program lol) or even Southeastern Texas University (STU).

bidirectional State names drive students away in droves it has been studied all over the USA

this is why Southwest Texas State (Texas State San Marcos) and Southwest Missouri State (Missouri State) and others changed their names

Edited by TexasVines

Quite frankly, if you are confused with the names... then you should keep on driving north on 45 until you either get to dallas or run out of gas...

I think all this hyped-up confusion has been artificially engineered or the like.

i gradumagated from UHD in 2001 and i'd hate to seem them change the name. if you're looking into going to college or are a student, you should have no problem figuring out that UH and UHD are two separate entities. starting with the two very distinct logo's for each school, separate application process not too mention the lack of shasta or anything else referring to UH.

if they do change it, i'd rather have it have somewhat of a collegiate sounding name rather some PC contrived crap like "university of hopes and dreams"

• Like 1

Same here. My BS is from UHD while my BBA and MBA are not. This does not detract from the fact that anyone who knows anything should be able to tell them apart.

I smell ulterior motives.

you forget that a LARGE number of first time college students especially at a school like UHD DO NOT have any idea about colleges or universities and neither do their parents because many of them probably never went to college

High School counselors are for the most part worthless and in a district like HISD with huge high schools there is no way they will take the time to truly advice every student especially those that look marginal to get into most schools

how anyone but the most paranoid could smell ulterior motives is beyond me......UH is as diverse as any school in the USA and has a minority for a president and chancellor and UHD has a minority of a different ethnic background as a long term president and he is the one that first put forth the suggestion for the name change and to date he has been the longest term and strongest president UHD has had so I hardly see any reason to question the motivation or see anything sneaky based on the administration of The UH System or UH or UHD.....but paranoia has a way of looking past reality

we have seen several members of this forum alone tell their stories of confusion about what campus to be at and or the relationship between UH and UHD so I think it should be clear that people who are first time college students and especially those from a family with no college history could have a great deal of confusion as well as corporations and HR employees of large companies being confused about the relationship between UH and UHD

they are two separate schools in the same system with ever diverging goals for what they want to be...time to clear up ANY confusion as the administration, I, and many others feel

Edited by TexasVines

you forget that a LARGE number of first time college students especially at a school like UHD DO NOT have any idea about colleges or universities and neither do their parents because many of them probably never went to college

High School counselors are for the most part worthless and in a district like HISD with huge high schools there is no way they will take the time to truly advice every student especially those that look marginal to get into most schools

how anyone but the most paranoid could smell ulterior motives is beyond me......UH is as diverse as any school in the USA and has a minority for a president and chancellor and UHD has a minority of a different ethnic background as a long term president and he is the one that first put forth the suggestion for the name change and to date he has been the longest term and strongest president UHD has had so I hardly see any reason to question the motivation or see anything sneaky based on the administration of The UH System or UH or UHD.....but paranoia has a way of looking past reality

we have seen several members of this forum alone tell their stories of confusion about what campus to be at and or the relationship between UH and UHD so I think it should be clear that people who are first time college students and especially those from a family with no college history could have a great deal of confusion as well as corporations and HR employees of large companies being confused about the relationship between UH and UHD

they are two separate schools in the same system with ever diverging goals for what they want to be...time to clear up ANY confusion as the administration, I, and many others feel

Why do you care? Doesn't your random piece of paper say Sam Houston State or such? Like I said, if you're confused... that tells me you didn't do your homework.

Perhaps UH Central should change their name to...

Party Central University of South East Houston State.

Why do you care? Doesn't your random piece of paper say Sam Houston State or such? Like I said, if you're confused... that tells me you didn't do your homework.

Perhaps UH Central should change their name to...

Party Central University of South East Houston State.

sensing a little anger here....... Face it the UHD kids are mad that they are changing the name because somehow they think that since it has the "University of Houston" part in it, they somehow belong to UH, their degree is worth a little bit more. Sorry to tell you but you are NOT UH. UH will elevate to Tier 1 while you will always be "that" univeristy, they should change the name IMMEDIATLY! Lets stop being nice and say, "No UHD is not changing their name to disaccoiate themselves from UH because we give UH a bad connotation, we are doing it to stop the confusion", no your not, I am sure the powers to be at UH are applying A LOT of pressure for UHD to change thier name! :o

sensing a little anger here....... Face it the UHD kids are mad that they are changing the name because somehow they think that since it has the "University of Houston" part in it, they somehow belong to UH, their degree is worth a little bit more. Sorry to tell you but you are NOT UH. UH will elevate to Tier 1 while you will always be "that" univeristy, they should change the name IMMEDIATLY! Lets stop being nice and say, "No UHD is not changing their name to disaccoiate themselves from UH because we give UH a bad connotation, we are doing it to stop the confusion", no your not, I am sure the powers to be at UH are applying A LOT of pressure for UHD to change thier name! :o

I'm not angry. I'm in shock as to how someone can confuse the two. UHD IS part of the UH system... And yes UHD is not UH. We all know that. And at the rate good professors/researchers are leaving UH Central I think it's going to take a lot longer than most realize for Central to get Tier 1 status. Probably longer than that new lady is going to keep her job.

As for the rest of your post... well let's just say you probably skipped a lot of classes...