University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

It just makes sense that if it is part of the UH system, UH should be part of the name. All of the campuses have geographical notations (Downtown, Clear Lake, Victoria, main/central).

Also, is anyone familiar with another university that is named for its city and has several campuses?

What nobody seems to talk about is the damage the name change will cause to the University of Houston SYSTEM! As mentioned above, having "University of Houston" in the name is what allows for name recognition, not because of simply the flagship university, but because it's part of something greater than just one university. Dr. Hoffman, would probably hate to see what Max Castillo has done here.

Allowing a university in the system to disregard those system ties is signifying a weak brand recognition for UHS. Our system is fledgling as it is, we don't need more fragmentation, but unification. Let's look at some of the more prominent public university systems in the country. Do you think the universities in the University of California system don't want to be associated with the UC name? How about the universities in the University of Texas System? The fact is that it actually helps to build a university, rather than tear it down.

Having a similar name to a "flagship" university in the system doesn't stifle growth either. Just ask UCLA. The school made a name for themselves on their own. UTSA, UTEP, and UTD are starting to do it too. As Chancellor Khator mentioned, there's nothing formally set-up that disallows UHD from being treated equally from UH.

Thus I recommend, if there is to be a name change, that it keeps the "University of Houston" in the name. My favorite was "University of Houston-Allen's Landing". It's distinctive, nods to history, is highly Houston-oriented, and upholds brand recognition for the University of Houston System. Hell, it even could be a kinda catchy little abbreviation; UHAL.

I hope that they start thinking about this, and allow for UH names again in the new process. What do you guys think?

What nobody seems to talk about is the damage the name change will cause to the University of Houston SYSTEM! As mentioned above, having "University of Houston" in the name is what allows for name recognition, not because of simply the flagship university, but because it's part of something greater than just one university. Dr. Hoffman, would probably hate to see what Max Castillo has done here.

Allowing a university in the system to disregard those system ties is signifying a weak brand recognition for UHS. Our system is fledgling as it is, we don't need more fragmentation, but unification. Let's look at some of the more prominent public university systems in the country. Do you think the universities in the University of California system don't want to be associated with the UC name? How about the universities in the University of Texas System? The fact is that it actually helps to build a university, rather than tear it down.

Having a similar name to a "flagship" university in the system doesn't stifle growth either. Just ask UCLA. The school made a name for themselves on their own. UTSA, UTEP, and UTD are starting to do it too. As Chancellor Khator mentioned, there's nothing formally set-up that disallows UHD from being treated equally from UH.

Thus I recommend, if there is to be a name change, that it keeps the "University of Houston" in the name. My favorite was "University of Houston-Allen's Landing". It's distinctive, nods to history, is highly Houston-oriented, and upholds brand recognition for the University of Houston System. Hell, it even could be a kinda catchy little abbreviation; UHAL.

I hope that they start thinking about this, and allow for UH names again in the new process. What do you guys think?

Renaming UHD's name will not "damage" the University of Houston System ("UHS") at all. It will help UHS flagship University of Houston ("UH") because of the confusion most people have with UHD. No one wants to be associated and confused with an open admission university! UHD has been "damaging" to UH for the last 30 years by carrying the system's name and being an open admission university with mostly undesirable student population.

No other university system has more than one freestanding university in the same city and within less than 5 miles away. Renaming UHD entirely without the system's name is the only way to end confusion because of the proximity of that school with UH.

Just because UHD is part of UHS does not mean it has to carry the system's name. Tarleton State University is part of Texas A&M University System, but they don't bear the system's name. Likewise, Texas State University System has many universities that do not carry the system's name. Angelo State University is part of Texas Tech University System and they don't bear the system's name either.

We don't need "unification" within UHS--we need separation. We need for people to see that UHD is a separate university--not part of UH--and the only way to that is rename UHD completly. The next name recommendation for UHD will not contain the system's name so don't get your hopes up.

UHD has been nothing but a burden on UHS and UH. Giving UHD a distinctive name is the best way for that school to remain within UHS without embarrassing UH students and alumni. UHD students and alumni tend to lie and say they are students or graduates from UH.

UH alumni suffer because of the confusion the public has with UHD.

Brian, you are a student at UH and should know better than to suggest that UHD retain the system's name!

Edited by FordGuyHTX

Renaming UHD's name entirely will not hurt the University of Houston System ("UHS") at all. It will help UHS flagship University of Houston ("UH") because of the confusion most people have with UHD. No one wants to be associated and be confused with an open admission university! UHD is the one hurting UH by carrying the system's name and being an open admission university with mostly undesirable student population.

No other university system has more than one freestanding university in the same city and within less than 5 miles away. Renaming UHD entirely without the system's name is the only way to end confusion because of the proximity of that school with UH.

I certainly disagree, but remember, I'm not advocating keeping the name either. I think using the distinction "Allen's Landing" will make a lot of difference. Two main things should accompany the name change. Firstly, a large ad campaign should be launched in conjunction with the UH System and quick re-branding should be done. This will allow for education in the community and general public.

Secondly, the university needs to look at much more traditional ways of expanding. How about changing their open admission policy? Maybe look into adding athletics programs? Take a look at UH-Victoria! These guys have the right idea for expansion, and probably even a more logical reason for a name change. This is what will truly gain this university recognition. Like I said, nobody sees UCLA as in the shadow of UC Berkeley anymore. Although, this wasn't always the case. It took lots of hard work, not a simple name change. Basically, I guess my main point is that a name change doesn't create recognition, tradition of prestige does.

Just because UHD is part of UHS does not mean it has to carry the system's name. Tarleton State University is part of Texas A&M University System, but they don't bear the system's name. Likewise, Texas State University System has many universities that do not carry the system's name. Angelo State University is part of Texas Tech University System and they don't bear the system's name either.

Yes, but having different names hurts those university systems in the same way that UHD's name change could hurt the UH System. I personally feel that the UH System is superior to the Texas State and Texas Tech Systems, so a comparison there isn't worthwhile to me. The Texas A&M University System is also nowhere near as established as the University of Texas System, despite their flagship.

I stand by my idea that prominent university system schools want to show solidarity with their respective systems.

We don't need unification within UHS--we need separation. We need for people to see that UHD is a separate university--not part of UH--and the only way to that is rename UHD completly. The next name recommendation for UHD will not contain the system's name so don't get your hopes up.

UH alumni--especially from the Bauer College of Business--suffer because of the confusion the public has with UHD.

Brian, you are a student at UH and should know better than to suggest that UHD retain the system's name!

Separation might fix confusion, but it's throwing out the baby with the bathwater. As I mentioned above, there are better ways to fix this issue. I feel that UHD's public rejection of the UH System does more to hurt my university's quest for Tier I status than help. What do you think?

Separation might fix confusion, but it's throwing out the baby with the bathwater. As I mentioned above, there are better ways to fix this issue. I feel that UHD's public rejection of the UH System does more to hurt my university's quest for Tier I status than help. What do you think?

Because of UHD's proximity to UH, there is no other way to fix the confusion but to rename it completely without carrying the system's name. If UHD was 25 miles away or in a different city from UH, there wouldn't be a name change right now. I do not know of any UH alumni that want UHD to keep its current name or continue carrying the sytem's name as part of their new name. Once you become a UH alumnus, you will feel the pain of having to explain you graduated from The University of Houston and not UHD--and how UHD is not part of UH.

I have to disagree with your statement of UHD's public rejection of UHS. I don't see changing UHD's name is going to hurt UH's quest for state flagship status and Tier One research funding at all. Please help me understand your point of view on this and why you believe UHD is rejecting UHS.

Brian, I would like for UH (my alma mater) to obtain state flagship status and Tier One research funding as much as you.

Please know that the UHS Board of Regents already approved the name change for UHD. The only issue left is what the new name would be. They have rejected "Houston Metropolitan University" and "University of South Texas" so I have no idea what the next one will be. They should just rename UHD to Cullen State University.

Edited by FordGuyHTX

No one wants to be associated and confused with an open admission university! UHD has been "damaging" to UH for the last 30 years by carrying the system's name and being an open admission university with mostly undesirable student population.

[...]

We don't need "unification" within UHS--we need separation. We need for people to see that UHD is a separate university--not part of UH--and the only way to that is rename UHD completly. The next name recommendation for UHD will not contain the system's name so don't get your hopes up.

UHD has been nothing but a burden on UHS and UH. Giving UHD a distinctive name is the best way for that school to remain within UHS without embarrassing UH students and alumni. UHD students and alumni tend to lie and say they are students or graduates from UH.

^From what you wrote, it sounds like the UH system needs to give that bastard child up for adoption then!

Fwiw, I am also a UH graduate but have never suffered from any confusion with UHD.

The real problem I see is that the confusion between the main campus of The University of Houston and the University of Houston-Downtown reveals a wider problem within the City of Houston. There's just no sense of place here.

We don't have solid neighborhoods with lots of tradition. We don't hold dearly to the past. We have news reports that say "downtown" when they are talking about the Eastside or "Southwest Houston" when they are talking about anything that happens in an area that covers a couple of hundred square miles. So, it's no wonder we have EDUCATORS who now want to name a university that is NOT in South Texas, The University of South Texas!

I think this is what happens when you have a city that covers over 600 square miles. How can you really know every single neighborhood?

Now, throwing that aside, I still think people have to be mighty stupid to assume that the Cullen campus is "downtown." That's just sad.

• Like 1

UH-D needs to face facts... it is located in Houston, it is a University, and it is located in DOWNTOWN. It's purpose is to educate LOCAL citizens who need a degree to advance themselves, but may not be quite up to the University of Houston's standards. There's nothing wrong with any of those things, but I think the school is starting to get caught up in its own delusions of grandeur. I have taught there, and I think it's a great school. But a new name is NOT going to change its purpose, or its relationship within the UH system. As I wrote in my letter to President Castillo, UH-D needs to take a little time to figure itself out, before seeking to change the institution's name. The Regents were pretty clear about this.

Renaming UHD's name will not "damage" the University of Houston System ("UHS") at all. It will help UHS flagship University of Houston ("UH") because of the confusion most people have with UHD. No one wants to be associated and confused with an open admission university! UHD has been "damaging" to UH for the last 30 years by carrying the system's name and being an open admission university with mostly undesirable student population.

Describing our student body as "mostly undesirable", and your continued perpetuation of the lie that our students and alumni like to say that they go to or went to UH renders much, it not all of your argument for the name change as flawed. I may be wrong, but your post kind of reeks of ill perceived elitism based on your choice of words and phrases. I have plenty of friends and family members who are UH students and grads, and not one of them has or had trouble finding employment because of supposed confusion with UHD. In fact, these same UH students and grads believe that the name change is unnecessary.

Perhaps some of us at UHD do want a name change, so that our alumni do not become wrongly associated with a certain UH alumnus who exhibits "mostly undesirable" traits, such as twisting and bending words just to make their point seem right.

• Like 1

Describing our student body as "mostly undesirable", and your continued perpetuation of the lie that our students and alumni like to say that they go to or went to UH renders much, it not all of your argument for the name change as flawed. I may be wrong, but your post kind of reeks of ill perceived elitism based on your choice of words and phrases. I have plenty of friends and family members who are UH students and grads, and not one of them has or had trouble finding employment because of supposed confusion with UHD. In fact, these same UH students and grads believe that the name change is unnecessary.

Perhaps some of us at UHD do want a name change, so that our alumni do not become wrongly associated with a certain UH alumnus who exhibits "mostly undesirable" traits, such as twisting and bending words just to make their point seem right.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the whole issue. It is about shameless elitism and distancing the main campus from an open admissions school which is perceived to produce lower-quality graduates.

I've had to explain the difference before, myself, to people unfamiliar with how the UH System is set up. Whether the circumstances reflect a kind of mean or elitist attitude within society or whether you find it personally insulting, the UH System should take action to mitigate the problems that the confusion causes. There's really nothing much else that they can do which would solve all the problems. A PR campaign to inform the public would have to go on indefinitely, and would have to have a very wide reach. And to have to roll out a PR campaign to explicitly distance the main campus from 'that other nearby open-enrollment school with a similar name' surely is even more embarrassing to the UH-D students and faculty than a discrete name change.

Edited by TheNiche

Yeah, that pretty much sums up the whole issue. It is about shameless elitism and distancing the main campus from an open admissions school which is perceived to produce lower-quality graduates.

I've had to explain the difference before, myself, to people unfamiliar with how the UH System is set up. Whether the circumstances reflect a kind of mean or elitist attitude within society or whether you find it personally insulting, the UH System should take action to mitigate the problems that the confusion causes. There's really nothing much else that they can do which would solve all the problems. A PR campaign to inform the public would have to go on indefinitely, and would have to have a very wide reach. And to have to roll out a PR campaign to explicitly distance the main campus from 'that other nearby open-enrollment school with a similar name' surely is even more embarrassing to the UH-D students and faculty than a discrete name change.

I guess it wouldn't be as big of a problem IF UH-D students (and faculty) didn't perpetuate the confusion. I've read more than enough CVs which downplay that the student is from UH-D, and been asked to write several recommendation letters. One student even came back to me and asked me to refer to the school as UH-D, but just as UH b/c he felt that would help him land a better job. As much as I wanted to help the student, I refused to change the recommendation because it's not the truth. Does that make me elitist???

I'm from southern Arkansas, and I did my undergrad at a little bitty school of 3500 people. I'd be shocked if anyone on this board even knows where it is. However, I moved to Houston, managed to get into grad school, and had no problem finding work coming from a "no-name" school. Why? Because I took the opportunities I was given and worked my way up. An education is an education. Once you get the degree, you get thrown out into the cold and evil world with everyone else. Better sink or swim.

This is absolutely not the truth. I am a student at UH and we are ALL waiting for this to go through, we were ecstatic when we heard UHD was finally changing its name! We are tired of people confusing our university with UHD, it happens more times than not. "What school do you go to?" I go to UH. "Oh the one downtown?" No, I go to central campus. "Wait there's two?" And the explaining begins......... :angry:

Edited by FalconRanch1

I disagree.

This reflects a greater flaw within society itself. Look around you. People don't know which way is south or north or east or west. They can barely tie their shoelaces. They mostly know how to get to work and back home. They don't use traffic signals. They talk on their cellphones. They watch sitcoms. They don't know the name of their local state representative.

So if all they know is who won last night's Grammy awards or who came out on top in American idol... It follows naturally that they won't know where downtown or Cullen are in relation to the ENTIRE city or to EACH other. Don't expect much.

If you expect "average" people to know things like the different locations of UHD and UHCentral then one would have to start at a very early age. I'm afraid it's already too late for most people and furthermore I regret to inform you that our governmental bodies (in local, state, and federal levels) including the leadership of UHS (UHCentral and UHD and METRO for that matter) are chock full of them. You give people too much credit.

The only embarrassment here is that people actually confuse the two.

We are tired of people confusing our university with UHD, it happens more times than not. "What school do you go to?" I go to UH. "Oh the one downtown?" No, I go to central campus. "Wait there's two?" And the explaining begins......... :angry:

You should stop talking to fools..

I side with the majority of UH grads who has never once had a person ask to clarify which UH i went to.

There is only one UH. Any educated person that hears UH should assume the main campus.

If UH-D wants to distinguish themselves.. whatever.

but as a UH grad.. i dont feel their identity crisis affects me one way or another.

I have to agree about some Houstonians not having a sense of place and people getting the two campuses confused. I met someone the other day who thought (UH) Third Ward was located (UHD) downtown... they didn't get that there was a difference between TW and DT at all. I've also known a person who referred to Midtown as downtown. They were both transplants who figure anything near downtown IS downtown. I think the lack of a sense of place and not knowing the city is a downside to the growth Houston has seen. These people may work downtown or may not, but spend most of the time bypassing these neighborhoods on the freeways. On the contrary, the natives I know here have a great sense of place and history and know the city neighborhoods very well.

I have to agree about some Houstonians not having a sense of place and people getting the two campuses confused. I met someone the other day who thought (UH) Third Ward was located (UHD) downtown... they didn't get that there was a difference between TW and DT at all. I've also known a person who referred to Midtown as downtown. They were both transplants who figure anything near downtown IS downtown. I think the lack of a sense of place and not knowing the city is a downside to the growth Houston has seen. These people may work downtown or may not, but spend most of the time bypassing these neighborhoods on the freeways. On the contrary, the natives I know here have a great sense of place and history and know the city neighborhoods very well.

Those are still fair. I know a score people who think Med Center is downtown.

Well, that's what happens when one lives in katy, woodwood forest, cut-and-shoot, willis, or some other far-flung suburb. Lack of sense and place there... lack of sense and place here.

Until they change the admissions policy, it's the University of Lowered Expectations.

Otherwise, I really like Infinite Jim's idea of Downtown Houston University.

You can still get kicked out. Just because anyone can get in does not mean everyone stays or finishes.

Again, there is nothing wrong with The University of Houston aspiring to Tier I status and moving away from the "working man's U" identity. There's also nothing wrong with UH-Downtown taking over that role by being an open admissions college. The Metro area is approaching 6 million folks if we haven't already hit that mark and we need BOTH schools to propser.

However, my the main campus should have to change names?

I submit "Jefferson University" because they are movin' on up!

• Like 1

You should stop talking to fools..

I side with the majority of UH grads who has never once had a person ask to clarify which UH i went to.

There is only one UH. Any educated person that hears UH should assume the main campus.

If UH-D wants to distinguish themselves.. whatever.

but as a UH grad.. i dont feel their identity crisis affects me one way or another.

Many people don't know enough about the Universities of Houston to ask the difference, although when they do, my conversations typically look a lot like FalconRanch1's. But that's still a problem for you because folks graduating from a school with lower standards are lowering the perceived quality of the main campus' grads in the eyes of people who don't know the difference, of whom there are many.

EDIT: And it isn't easy to just stop talking to fools if you might ever have to work for them, work for you, sell to them, buy from them, or become related by law to you. Life is such that you often do not get to choose the company you keep.

Edited by TheNiche

So, if I do not like TheNiche's username because people confuse it with mine, I can demand that TheNiche change his name?

This is the argument here. Because UH grads and students don't want to be confused with UHD grads and students, due to some mistaken belief that UHD drags their degree down, UH grads demand that UHD change THEIR name. That is a crock of cougar crap. If you don't like the confusion, change your own name. Not that it matters. In spite of all the whining to the contrary, any public perception that a UH degree is worth less than other degrees is UH's fault, not UHD's. They could change UHD's name all day long and it will not change the public's perception of UH one iota...well, except that we now see UH grads as a bunch of titty babies for all of this whiny name change crap.

Many people don't know enough about the Universities of Houston to ask the difference, although when they do, my conversations typically look a lot like FalconRanch1's. But that's still a problem for you because folks graduating from a school with lower standards are lowering the perceived quality of the main campus' grads in the eyes of people who don't know the difference, of whom there are many.

EDIT: And it isn't easy to just stop talking to fools if you might ever have to work for them, work for you, sell to them, buy from them, or become related by law to you. Life is such that you often do not get to choose the company you keep.

You're right.. that was harsh and dumb of me.

Its also occurring to me why I've never had this problem. I never just tell people i 'went to UH' .. when it comes up I mention that i got my masters degree from UH. Is that even possible at UH-D? I also mention the program.. and there are certain programs that nobody would mistake for being at UH-D. Also.. maybe this helps too... I never say UH... I say the University of Houston.

Maybe I'm just naive... I didn't even know there was a UH-D until i moved back to houston and was in grad school. And i dont think I realized that t was a separate university and not just a satellite campus till my early days on HAIF.

Still, I've never had to explain which UH I went to nor do i feel that the existence of UH-D waters down my degree, so I care more about them wanting to change their name to something that might get confused with and/or devalue another local school.

Edited by Highway6

So, if I do not like TheNiche's username because people confuse it with mine, I can demand that TheNiche change his name?

This is the argument here. Because UH grads and students don't want to be confused with UHD grads and students, due to some mistaken belief that UHD drags their degree down, UH grads demand that UHD change THEIR name. That is a crock of cougar crap. If you don't like the confusion, change your own name. Not that it matters. In spite of all the whining to the contrary, any public perception that a UH degree is worth less than other degrees is UH's fault, not UHD's. They could change UHD's name all day long and it will not change the public's perception of UH one iota...well, except that we now see UH grads as a bunch of titty babies for all of this whiny name change crap.

No, that's a weak analogy.

If Editor, who created and owns the forum, didn't like someone named "Editor.", and so he wanted to change that, it would be closer to what you're shooting for. And yes, I'd say that he would be justified in doing so. It may not confuse us regulars, but it probably would confuse a fair number of others; and when you're dealing with the general public, you have to cater to the lowest common denominator of person.

No, that's a weak analogy.

If Editor, who created and owns the forum, didn't like someone named "Editor.", and so he wanted to change that, it would be closer to what you're shooting for. And yes, I'd say that he would be justified in doing so. It may not confuse us regulars, but it probably would confuse a fair number of others; and when you're dealing with the general public, you have to cater to the lowest common denominator of person.

I am unpersuaded. And, since I am a member of the class of people you and the other UH grads wish to persuade (a non-UH graduate who you believe thinks less of your degree because of the existence of UHD), it is somewhat important that you have done such a poor job of persuading me.

Having attended and graduated from a school that does not have the luxury of a well known and prestigious name (similar to UH's problem), one might think that I'd be sympathetic to your plight. I am not. I have never been denied a job, a raise or a promotion based on the name on my diploma, and I suspect that neither have you. That being the case, this entire debate is nothing more than an exercise in pettiness.

It occurred to me that another disingenuous part of your argument is that it is the ignorant general public that confuses the two. Who cares? These are not the people who are hiring you. And worse, you claim the general public is too ignorant to recognize that these are two different schools, yet intelligent enough to know the differing admissions policies between the two? Please. Spend your time and money improving the University of Houston and quit wasting your time worrying who rides its coattails.

It occurred to me that another disingenuous part of your argument is that it is the ignorant general public that confuses the two. Who cares? These are not the people who are hiring you. And worse, you claim the general public is too ignorant to recognize that these are two different schools, yet intelligent enough to know the differing admissions policies between the two? Please. Spend your time and money improving the University of Houston and quit wasting your time worrying who rides its coattails.

An excellent point.

I am unpersuaded. And, since I am a member of the class of people you and the other UH grads wish to persuade (a non-UH graduate who you believe thinks less of your degree because of the existence of UHD), it is somewhat important that you have done such a poor job of persuading me.

Having attended and graduated from a school that does not have the luxury of a well known and prestigious name (similar to UH's problem), one might think that I'd be sympathetic to your plight. I am not. I have never been denied a job, a raise or a promotion based on the name on my diploma, and I suspect that neither have you. That being the case, this entire debate is nothing more than an exercise in pettiness.

The argument you put forth was still a weak analogy. And your response has done nothing to convince me otherwise.

How would you know that you had been denied something on that basis? Here's how job hunting typically works: you send a resume to a firm wanting to hire someone like yourself; you are one of possibly dozens of educationally-qualified applicants; they screen all resumes to come up with a reasonable number of qualified people to interview; if you are screened out they may or may not tell you that you were rejected but they probably will not tell you why.

A resume is about getting a foot in the door. From that point on (hiring decision, raises, promotions), the force of one's personality becomes the most critical aspect. I was actually lucky in that I had cultivated a good network of professionals in Houston while I was working full time during my education at UH. After landing the first job, resumes became unnecessary (up to now, since my industry seems to be in a coma). The ability to network in a business-oriented town with little competition from other college students is one of UH's unacknowledged strengths IMO.

The general public is not a single entity, confused one way to the exclusion of another. It is made up of individuals that can be differently confused.

And resume gatekeepers can be snobbish, ignorant, or both. It doesn't mean that you'll be working for them.