University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

I wrote in and suggested other names, but I think HMU works. Other cities like NYC, SF, and Denver have a Metropolitan College or City University. I think these names accurately reflect the institutions' mission statements and their respective student bodies.

Oh wait, I thought I read here they changed it to Houston Metropolitan U, but then reading again it doesn't seem like it?

Edited by skyphen

It's laughable that they are willing to consider names or acronyms that will confuse them with 1 of 3 possible other local schools when their entire reason for changing names was to eliminate confusion.

I go to South Texas...

Which one...

The one downtown...

Uhh, Which one...

What a joke.

True, it seems like they missed out on a few more confusing options like;

Ricer University

Houston Baptized University

DeWry Tech

Visible Changed University (for my all time fave on US 59 South)

It cracks me up that they are considering anything with "South" in the name. I'd hate to think they'd offer a geography major.

• Like 1

Well, now people won't associate it with UH, but maybe the University of North Texas :rolleyes:

Yes... instead of confusing it with a school that its 2 miles away, people will now confuse it with a school that is 1 mile away.

Bravo, University of South Texas.. Bravo.

Hey wait... South Texas College of Law should now sue the University of South Texas for copyright violations and devaluing their good name.

Edited by Highway6

You know what this means, right? They're gonna have to move Houston to the Rio Grande Valley in South Texas by the start of the new semester so that the name will be geographically correct. I hope they have enough helicopters and enough fuel to lift this city. :rolleyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Texas

South Texas is a region of the U.S. state of Texas that lies roughly south of, or beginning at, San Antonio. The southern and western boundary is the Rio Grande River, and to the east it is the Gulf of Mexico. The population of this region is about 3.7 million. The southern portion of this region is often referred to as the Rio Grande Valley. The eastern portion along the Gulf of Mexico is also referred to as the Coastal Bend.

There is no defined northern boundary, although it is believed to be at the city of San Antonio and from an east to west line extending from the Rio Grande near Maverick County to the Gulf of Mexico, but turning southeast at or near Lavaca County, and continuing towards the Gulf of Mexico to separate it from East Texas and Southeast Texas. The Rio Grande serves as the western and southern boundaries and separates Texas from Mexico. The eastern portion of South Texas is bordered by the Gulf of Mexico.

Some people consider Houston to be in South Texas for several reasons. Numerous businesses in the Houston region contain 'South Texas' in their titles.[2] The South Texas College of Law is located in downtown Houston. The United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas includes the Houston division. And like South Texas, the city has a large Hispanic population. However, Houston is most accurately classified as being within Southeast Texas, a subregion of East Texas.

Hallelujah !! Thank God the decision makers at the System level have brains and veto power.

University of Houston System regents Friday decided to wait for more suggestions before choosing a new moniker for UH-Downtown, concerned that
Edited by Highway6

Sweet!

A new nomination process begins;

CULLEN STATE

or, have some fun with

BAYOU STATE

or, play off of Houston's lame image campaigns...

SPACE CITY UNIVERSITY

BAYOU CITY STATE UNIVERSITY

HOUSTON, IT'S HOT UNIVERSITY (HiHu!)

EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED UNIVERSITY

IT'S WORTH IT UNIVERSITY

• Like 1

Judging by the quotes in the article, its obvious the regents are avid HAIF readers and were well aware of our dislike of the chosen name and the reasons why.

Thank you regents.

At ths time I would like to submit Craig Biggio University for consideration.

Edited by Highway6

Judging by the quotes in the article, its obvious the regents are avid HAIF readers and were well aware of our dislike of the chosen name and the reasons why.

Thank you regents.

At ths time I would like to submit Craig Biggio University for consideration.

Sure they do. But do they need more than common sense to see those flaws?

Whatever they choose, I hope it keeps Houston or some reference to it rather than Texas in the title. How many colleges are there with Texas in the title already? Among recent unnecessary borderline stupid name changes was Southwest Texas State U to Texas State U. I hope they don't go with anything remotely similar to that.

Whatever they choose, I hope it keeps Houston or some reference to it rather than Texas in the title. How many colleges are there with Texas in the title already? Among recent unnecessary borderline stupid name changes was Southwest Texas State U to Texas State U. I hope they don't go with anything remotely similar to that.

University of South East Texas and lets end this once in for all!