University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

• The title was changed to Poll: Vote For The New UH-D Name
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, toxtethogrady said:

That's the way I always do it - complete the building, then assemble the mock-up. Because I always put on my shoes and socks in that order.🤪

that makes sense, because then the mockup is more accurate, right?😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

This may be a stupid question, but I couldn't find much of an answer elsewhere in this thread. I've been biking down the bayou by these buildings recently and they really look fantastic and have transformed the area completely (and my perception of UH-D). However, does anyone know what steps the school took to prevent against massive flooding of all of these new buildings and improvements? I lived in Market Square Tower during Harvey and my windows looked out over this area. The area was flooded as far as I could see and, by my estimation, all of these new buildings would be flooded, possibly up to the second floor. Did the school build parking on the first floor or build huge retention pools? Any info would be illuminating.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

"Blanchard said he’s eyeing land for new student housing, a convocation center, a student union, more academic buildings and another parking garage. (Those goals are still being written into a master plan for the campus, which will have to be approved by the UH System Board of Regents.)"

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/university-houston-downtown-expansion-rec-center-17789044.php#photo-23471083

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Found this in a HBJ piece on UH-D trying to work out an agreement for access to the campus during construction tied to the NHHIP. Didn't see it mentioned elsewhere before.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2023/04/17/uh-downtown-txdot-i45-mou-campus-expansion.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_27&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

"Meanwhile, the NHHIP moving forward now is perfect timing, Thomas said, because UHD is also currently working on its campus master plan with its architectural firm, Dallas-based Huitt-Zollars.

Feedback the university has received about the master plan includes the desire for a traditional university feeling with green spaces and gathering spaces that would elevate campus engagement. This could even include housing, Thomas said. Currently, UHD does not offer on-campus housing.

“The sky's the limit,” Thomas said. “We could do so many things for our students.”

The master plan, which has been in the works since September, will most likely be completed in July and presented to the board of trustees in the fall, she said."

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to University Of Houston Downtown (UHD)
  • The title was changed to University Of Houston Downtown Developments
  • 4 months later...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/houston-university-uh-downtown-majors-18625562.php

UH Downtown unveils plan to expand into Warehouse District
By Samantha Ketterer,
Staff writer
Jan 27, 2024

University of Houston Downtown leaders hope to nearly double the school's physical footprint by 2050, taking advantage of a reconstructed freeway  to build a more cohesive campus that extends into the Warehouse District.

President Loren Blanchard unveiled a new campus master plan Thursday at the university’s 50th anniversary celebration, drawing gasps and applause at a map that included five new academic buildings and two residence halls. The university will also complement the growth with a slate of new majors for its undergraduate and graduate students...

University of Houston Downtown currently has eight buildings split between both sides of Interstate 10 at the intersection of White Oak and Buffalo bayous. Enrollment has nearly doubled at UHD over the past 25 years, but the spatial constraints have prevented wide-scale physical expansion and largely kept the school a commuter campus. (UHD last had a residence hall in the 1980s.)...

The campus will become more pedestrian-friendly with added green space, Blanchard said. And aside from the residence halls and academic building, other envisioned spaces include a student union, an innovation and entrepreneur center, a performance arts building, two parking areas and a convocation center.

• Like 5

University of Houston Downtown leaders hope to nearly double the school's physical footprint by 2050, taking advantage of a reconstructed freeway  to build a more cohesive campus that extends into the Warehouse District.

President Loren Blanchard unveiled a new campus master plan Thursday at the university’s 50th anniversary celebration, drawing gasps and applause at a map that included five new academic buildings and two residence halls. The university will also complement the growth with a slate of new majors for its undergraduate and graduate students.  

“The future of the University of Houston Downtown is a bigger, better university that stands as a well-grounded, undeniable, well-known anchor of the city of Houston,” Blanchard said.

University of Houston Downtown currently has eight buildings split between both sides of Interstate 10 at the intersection of White Oak and Buffalo bayous. Enrollment has nearly doubled at UHD over the past 25 years, but the spatial constraints have prevented wide-scale physical expansion and largely kept the school a commuter campus. (UHD last had a residence hall in the 1980s.)

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/education/article/houston-university-uh-downtown-majors-18625562.php

vmxKDuU.png

• Like 8

I've thought that an expansion south nearer the current University Commerce Street building would serve UH-D and the City better, and would provide alternative uses to some of the less-than-filled downtown office buildings. Reuse and recycle and all that.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Universities can interject a lot of life to the streets, especially if there are residence halls. It would be great to have 1,500 young residents giving life. I dream of STLC putting up a small residential hall on their campus.

• Like 3