University of Houston Downtown Campus Developments

Guest danax

UH-D gets $44,922,833 for renovation of existing buildings and other campus infrastructure upgrades and for the construction of the Police Department and Criminal Justice Academy Building from the Capital Construction Assistance Project bill.

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/873/billtext/pdf/SB00052F.pdf#navpanes=0

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/25/2020 at 12:10 PM, Texasota said:

Man I would seriously not object to UHD somehow ending up with the Harris County Jail buildings. Even just 600 and 810 N San Jacinto. They're both (especially 600) nice, well-scaled buildings, and it would be nice to see them used for non-jail purposes. Help diversify that stretch of San Jacinto as well.

UHD used to own the jail building. It was vacant for a while because it needed a lot of repairs. UHD figured it would be cheaper to build a new building than repair that one, so they sold it and built the Academic building. The 701 San Jacinto Jail building was also owned by a company called the Houston Terminal Warehouse and cold Storage company. 

Also, there was talk of changing the name of the University for over 20 years now. Allen University and City University were major contenders. 

One of the higher ups said that although they wanted a new name, most of the push for the name changed was from the main campus and board of regents. Seems UHD was in their opinion a detractor from what they saw the UH brand as. 

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoustonIsHome said:

UHD used to own the jail building. It was vacant for a while because it needed a lot of repairs. UHD figured it would be cheaper to build a new building than repair that one, so they sold it and built the Academic building. The 701 San Jacinto Jail building was also owned by a company called the Houston Terminal Warehouse and cold Storage company. 

Also, there was talk of changing the name of the University for over 20 years now. Allen University and City University were major contenders. 

One of the higher ups said that although they wanted a new name, most of the push for the name changed was from the main campus and board of regents. Seems UHD was in their opinion a detractor from what they saw the UH brand as. 

I think they should change the name to Allen State University.

10 hours ago, HoustonIsHome said:

Which jail building are you saying was formerly owned by UH-D and to whom did they sell it?

9 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Which jail building are you saying was formerly owned by UH-D and to whom did they sell it?

I had the same question. I recall that when the cold storage building was sold to the County for conversion to a jail, there were UHD folks who thought the school should have bought it. the deed records show the building was transferred from Houston Terminal and Cold Storage to the County with the J Victor Samuels Foundation involved somehow.

Edit to add that J Victor Samuels apparently owned Houston Terminal and Cold Storage.

Edited by Ross

16 hours ago, Ross said:

J Victor Samuels Foundation involved somehow.

Edit to add that J Victor Samuels apparently owned Houston Terminal and Cold Storage.

Vic Samuels was an amazing person. I had the good fortune to know him personally. He started at least three huge businesses--Houston Terminal Storage, Leedo Cabinets and Victory Packaging. Leedo manufactured apartment-grade cabinets (I had a business that did business with Leedo), and Victory Packaging was a billion dollar manuf of cardboard & boxes. Vic was as charitable a person as you'd ever meet, hence his giving the building away.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, astrohip said:

Vic Samuels was an amazing person. I had the good fortune to know him personally. He started at least three huge businesses--Houston Terminal Storage, Leedo Cabinets and Victory Packaging. Leedo manufactured apartment-grade cabinets (I had a business that did business with Leedo), and Victory Packaging was a billion dollar manuf of cardboard & boxes. Vic was as charitable a person as you'd ever meet, hence his giving the building away.

A former colleague went to work for Leedo when he left the company I work for. He loved working there. Mr. Samuels sounds like a guy I would have liked to meet.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, akaMiDTOWNeR said:

Does anyone know what is being constructed along the bayou/trail? Is it just bayou storm retention stuff or an actual new trail to connect to the other side of N Main?

They are shoring up the bend in the bayou with more rip rap, I talked with the supervisor about several months ago

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to An Editorial On UH-Downtown Proposed Name Change
  • The topic was unlocked
  • The title was changed to 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...