George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH)

pineda

Intercontinental may sound like a hokey or cheesy name, but I like it. There's no need to change the name just because some reporters on the other side of the nation read too fast.

Mickey Leland > George Bush

Sounds like you remember the campaign to have the airport named for Mickey Leland in the late 80s.

I like 'Intercontinental' better than 'International'.  It's more unique.  That said, overall I would prefer renaming to the original planned name:  Jetero Airport. 

I read somewhere that originally the name was Jet Era but someone made a typo and it ended up being Jetero.

I'm shocked the media even bothered to correct themselves and name it correctly.

It's funny that both major Houston airports are named after people that would probably not want the names of the airports to be confused with their sons. :)

If any renaming were to happen, it should be (for both):

George Bush "don't confuse me with my son" Intercontinental Airport

William Hobby "don't confuse me with my son either" Airport

• Like 1

:blink:

He fought in the war but not sure what else about him seems really heroic. Mickey Leland gave his life to helping the poor.

Bush was a pilot in the war. I think they used that aviation link to partly justify naming the airport for him. Leland had an aviation link, too, although grim, since it was a plane crash that killed him.

:blink:

He fought in the war but not sure what else about him seems really heroic. Mickey Leland gave his life to helping the poor.

Well, since you brought it up, dying in a plane crash is not heroic. It is tragic, but not heroic. Flying a fighter plane in a war could be described as heroic. Leaving your seat in a plane in order to confront terrorists attempting to hijack it is almost certainly heroic. Sitting in a plane that crashes generally would not be heroic without something else.

He's a well known ambassador for the city. You may not like his politics but wanting to wipe his name from the airport is petty. Just as ludicrous as making an argument to wipe Mickey Leland from federal buildings. On the topic. The 2nd post makes a good point. The Hobby airport expansion makes the intercontinental moniker more neccesary to differentiate the two airports.

Well, since you brought it up, dying in a plane crash is not heroic. It is tragic, but not heroic. Flying a fighter plane in a war could be described as heroic. Leaving your seat in a plane in order to confront terrorists attempting to hijack it is almost certainly heroic. Sitting in a plane that crashes generally would not be heroic without something else.

There are plenty of fighter pilots. It's just politics.

I wish there were more Republicans like President Bush around these days. He is a smart man. I didn't always agree with his politics, but I never doubted his intellect. He was also one of the last Republicans that put Country over Party (see the current crop of idiots in DC). Seems like that's a dying breed these days; sadly.

Signed,

Former Republican

• Like 2

How about this:

Bush Intercontinental changes back to Houston Intercontinental

Hobby becomes Houston International

Ellington Field becomes Houston Intergalactic http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/home/endeavour_visit.html

I refuse to accept any airport naming ideas that include the word "intergalactic" but doesn't also reference The Beastie Boys.

• Like 2

Liberals. Barf.

What the hell is wrong with you? You start a conversation and then snap at the first person that disagrees with you. You got some kind of social disorder?

Where's Niche when you need him?

He's a well known ambassador for the city. You may not like his politics but wanting to wipe his name from the airport is petty. Just as ludicrous as making an argument to wipe Mickey Leland from federal buildings. On the topic. The 2nd post makes a good point. The Hobby airport expansion makes the intercontinental moniker more necchhh Your Sidari here also I don't know if you long enough to come esary to differentiate the two airports.

The photos the chron posted, of which a thread was also created for, shows IAH old name including "international". Clearly intercontinental is superior.

The photos the chron posted, of which a thread was also created for, shows IAH old name including "international". Clearly intercontinental is superior.

Are you sure that was IAH? The pictures that I saw were of Hobby, which was known as "Houston International Airport" from 1954 to 1967. I don't think IAH was ever known as "International".

Funny thing is that the FAA uses to call letters IAH for Bush and HOU for Hobby.

Hobby was called Houston International Airport after it was determined that Howard Hughes Airport was not an "international" enough sounding name, plus Howard Hughes wasn't even dead yet.

Hobby never had the word Intercontinental in any of it's names.

• Like 1

Forget about the hacking, fake press conferences, etc., what about people who report without simply checking their facts? I think sometimes they are well-meaning but just too anxious to "get the scoop" or just plain lazy. I really don't trust any ONE version of "the news" anymore.

So true - real journalism is dead. I don't think CNN knows yet what happened in Boston.

Edited by jt16

Funny thing is that the FAA uses to call letters IAH for Bush and HOU for Hobby.

Hobby was called Houston International Airport after it was determined that Howard Hughes Airport was not an "international" enough sounding name, plus Howard Hughes wasn't even dead yet.

What? He is dead...

Most likely the HOU designation was for Houston, regardless of the name of the airport at the time, since that was our main airport when the designations went into effect. IAH no doubt stands for Intercontinental Airport Houston, its original name.

I refuse to accept any airport naming ideas that include the word "intergalactic" but doesn't also reference The Beastie Boys.

I propose they put "Intergalactic" on continuous loop at the front door of the newly named airport.

Actually, it was because at the time the FAA had a regulation against airports being named for living people.

• Like 2