PNC Plaza At 2200 Post Oak Blvd. & Mixed-Use At 2120 Post Oak Blvd.

lockmat

YIKES! one can only pray as per the good man above.. that both of these mixed use concepts, may in fact produce better forthcoming / updated / modern renderings. imo, both of the prospective designs harken back to the (80's) when i was still in high school. the hotel concept, is foreboding, dull, way to much earth tones, albeit browns, darkness everywhere... i could only imagine just what a visitor from new york, dubai, london, or anywhere upon this great earth.. would think of staying there overnight. the only thing upon my opinion that is altogether enlightening... is it's proposed 36 floor height factor. any proposed edifice in houston that is close to 40 floors.. would certainly entertain my vote of confidence.

I like the second one, but YES, it looks like it belongs with the former Enron collection. LoL

the tower concept, is a very haphazard design to say the very least. just what in the world was the architectural firm thinking vs dreaming? again dark, old, foreboding, it's as if they took one of the enron buildings from downtown.. and started to butcher it like crazy, until they realized their mistake. then they decided to try and piece it back together again. i guess, something along the lines of "humpty ENRON dumpty". i guess we could call it that!

midway cos, has become the new essential, as per design innovation as per the city of houston. i for one, could just only imagine what midway cos., could do with this piece of prime real estate upon post oak. it would be such.. that only dreams are indeed made of.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

At first glance it doesn't look like it's a redesign, but in fact there are definitely some changes. Most of these seem to be in front of the building and how the building addresses the street condition.

Before I point out what the differences are though. I would say that for once the redesign is actually better than what was before which hasn't been the case lately.

First look at both pics old and new. I really don't have the time to do all this stuff as I literally just arrived at work and this is usually 'catch up on the news' part of my morning. If someone would like to make a post with the old and new back to back that would be great :)

Once you look at the bottom fronts of the old and new the changes will be more apparent.

The old one had a very awkward front facing the street. For one it didn't really acknowledge the street. instead whoever is designing this thought that it would be cool to throw in what I have termed "the glass sandwich" and stuck it on the side and said 'oh look at me I'm a clever designer and I'm current with the architecture of the time. All done'. This approach to the building seemed like an after thought, and if you look at the new image you can see that clearly an attempt was made to better this part of the design. It's not perfect, but it very much succeeds where the other didn't.

So what about the new entrance? Probably the most striking is it's massing and geometry. Instead of an enormous vertical edge right from the sidewalk. It seems they moved the building back a bit and elongated the entrance to create a sort of stair step effect. Now you have an entrance that is more at a human/streetlevel scale. I'm also glad they redid the goofy 'glass sandwich'. The entrance simply has more variety. From what it looks like the majority of the building looks the same. Most of the same materials are still there as a whole. The overall look is still the same. I think we all want to take a look at the other side to really confirm that it really hasn't changed. I make my deduction of this from the garage. It literally is the same form and same material usage as it was before.

Thankfully it looks like they are keeping the office from before as well, but I'm sure there are some minor tweaks in that one too.

All in all it's actually a more mature design and they actually resolved a problem that I saw in the original.

• Like 3

At first glance it doesn't look like it's a redesign, but in fact there are definitely some changes. Most of these seem to be in front of the building and how the building addresses the street condition.

Before I point out what the differences are though. I would say that for once the redesign is actually better than what was before which hasn't been the case lately.

First look at both pics old and new. I really don't have the time to do all this stuff as I literally just arrived at work and this is usually 'catch up on the news' part of my morning. If someone would like to make a post with the old and new back to back that would be great :)

Once you look at the bottom fronts of the old and new the changes will be more apparent.

The old one had a very awkward front facing the street. For one it didn't really acknowledge the street. instead whoever is designing this thought that it would be cool to throw in what I have termed "the glass sandwich" and stuck it on the side and said 'oh look at me I'm a clever designer and I'm current with the architecture of the time. All done'. This approach to the building seemed like an after thought, and if you look at the new image you can see that clearly an attempt was made to better this part of the design. It's not perfect, but it very much succeeds where the other didn't.

So what about the new entrance? Probably the most striking is it's massing and geometry. Instead of an enormous vertical edge right from the sidewalk. It seems they moved the building back a bit and elongated the entrance to create a sort of stair step effect. Now you have an entrance that is more at a human/streetlevel scale. I'm also glad they redid the goofy 'glass sandwich'. The entrance simply has more variety. From what it looks like the majority of the building looks the same. Most of the same materials are still there as a whole. The overall look is still the same. I think we all want to take a look at the other side to really confirm that it really hasn't changed. I make my deduction of this from the garage. It literally is the same form and same material usage as it was before.

Thankfully it looks like they are keeping the office from before as well, but I'm sure there are some minor tweaks in that one too.

All in all it's actually a more mature design and they actually resolved a problem that I saw in the original.

youre right.. that BLVD Place style front is now gone, and it does look like it interacts better with the street/pedestrian activity. glad the office building didnt appear to change, and they kept most of this the same.

"Pulled" these from the site.. Looks like the office tower is unchanged!

E85A7EDE-B45B-4EA7-A923-26E381A1BF0A_zps

C5CCF2F8-1BB0-4E79-B29D-5BC2DCEEE781_zps

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

youre right.. that BLVD Place style front is now gone, and it does look like it interacts better with the street/pedestrian activity. glad the office building didnt appear to change, and they kept most of this the same.

"Pulled" these from the site.. Looks like the office tower is unchanged!

E85A7EDE-B45B-4EA7-A923-26E381A1BF0A_zps

C5CCF2F8-1BB0-4E79-B29D-5BC2DCEEE781_zps

Danke schoen :D

2100postoakLB.jpg

NOW WE'RE TALKING!  the hotel concept, reminds me of a snake that has gone through it's natural metamorphosis. new skin, fresh new outlook upon life.  heck, i think that i would enjoy lodging here at some 

point.  both edifice concepts now look fresh, fun, and ready for tenants / residences.  build them.. and we shall arrive!

Edited by monarch

2100postoakLB.jpg

NOW WE'RE TALKING!  the hotel concept, reminds me of a snake that has gone through it's natural metamorphosis. new skin, fresh new outlook upon life.  heck, i think that i would enjoy lodging here at some 

point.  both edifice concepts now look fresh, fun, and ready for tenants / residences.  build them.. and we shall arrive!

snakes... metamorphose? 

I hate to think what they must turn into (and I actually like snakes)

• 1 month later...

Chevron pushed the start date for its tower back to 2016 awhile ago. I see no reason for them to need to hype it up so long before groundbreaking. More troubling is the sudden rise in construction costs. I recall a recent article discussing that guards are being posted at certain sites to avoid poaching workers. I would love to see this project in its current form, but with the mass of new office space under construction and the shadow of the 1980's oil bust looming in the memories of many developers, I can just as easily understand cutting back on the size (and thus the costs of the project).

If Chevron had started on the original date, they'd be paying for the workers now at the peak of costs.  Perhaps they are the smart ones -- if the "crash" happens, then construction labor will certainly become much cheaper if they start in 2016.

My parents ran into this, too.  They are building a house (almost done), and for various reasons the construction took far longer than expected (currently at 17 months), and partially due to rising costs, it's over 40% over budget.

• Like 1