Astrodome History At 8400 Kirby Dr.

houstonsemipro

I was there that day. Aldine made the playoffs for the first time in 20 years in '78. Our very first game in the dome was against Vidor, where Aldine head coach Bill Smith was from. It was like going to the circus for the first time. We also played La Porte that following week. I don't remember which week the Bengals were in town, but I saw some of them them take the field. Aldine played in the dome 34 times between 1978 and 2003, Smith's last year. There were schools that played more than that. The most games I ever saw in a day was three and I left before the last game.

Coach Smith had some great teams. I'm glad there was a bit of overlap between my time and his at AHS.

I'm sure it would be too expensive for HISD, or even the several districts in the area working together, to maintain and use the 'Dome for high school events. It would be hard to fill that structure for any one game (except a really significant play-off game) in any case but wouldn't it be grand if we could? What ever becomes of the Astrodome I hope it is still sports related and serves the entire community.

People I hate to say it but I fear the Astrodome is doomed. Nobody is going to pony up the money it would take to completely rehab and refurb it enough to make it an appealing venue. Not when Reliant Stadium with all its new bells and whistles is available.

The least expensive option is demolition, and they say that will cost at least 100 million dollars.

It's monumentally sad to see it come to this, but it's the reality.

Edited by FilioScotia
  • Like 1

People I hate to say it but I fear the Astrodome is doomed. Nobody is going to pony up the money it would take to completely rehab and refurb it enough to make it an appealing venue. Not when Reliant Stadium with all its new bells and whistles is available.

The least expensive option is demolition, and they say that will cost at least 100 million dollars.

It's monumentally sad to see it come to this, but it's the reality.

Well it has been apparent for a long time that there wasn't a feasible redevelopment alternative. I'm not aware of a single case where an old stadium has been successfully redeveloped.

I can think of one case. The new owners of the Boston Red Sox recently completed a complete rehabbing of their beloved 90 year old Fenway Park. It took ten years and cost them nearly 300 million dollars, and old Fenway is ready for another 40 or 50 years of baseball.

It takes a lot of determination and forward looking vision to preserve a local treasure that way. Sadly, those qualities don't exist in Houston's political class.

Check it out: http://boston.sports...lmost-complete/

Edited by FilioScotia

• 2 weeks later...

One of the regulars on another local website message board managed to get inside the Astrodome recently and took some photos. It's really depressing to see what is happening at the Eighth Wonder of the World.

http://swamplot.com/...ome/2012-03-23/

Thanks for the link!

I've always said it would make a great greenspace if it can't be saved. Checking out the link I saw this comment:

From Rob:

The structure needs to be stripped down to the iron work, it will be the Eiffel tower of Houston. Plant grass and make amazing gardens underneath it all. What a great change it would be from the acres of concrete that surronds Reliant Park. Look at what discovery green has done for the GRB, just think what we could do with all that park space next to the Reliant Convetion Center.

March 23, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Brilliant! That would be really cool, if technically feasable.

• 1 month later...

I always wanted to see the Astros play just one time when I lived there . Closest I ever got was the Astro hall next door for the car shows every Thanksgiving . I find this so depressing as the Dome was on my "TO DO " list ........... scrubba

This subject always saddens me. I hate to see my beloved Astrodome in such a state of disrepair. While there are many that share my passion for this historic landmark, I feel powerless to make any kind of actual difference in the saving or demolition of the dome. We are talking about costs in the tens of millions, and nothing the average person could do would ever be able to block the inevitable wrecking ball that looms over our beloved dome.

I have accepted that one day, not so far away, I will witness the Astrodome being demolished. It seems that nothing in Houston is considered sacred unless it's part of the holy inner sanctum of downtown/midtown buildings. Everything else is expendable, and it sickens me that so many people are on board to destroy this thing. I guess memories don't matter as much as money, and living for the moment.

There is a new angle to try an save the Astrodome. The new master plan recommendations are renovation of the Astrodome into a multi-purpose facility while also building a very expensive replacement Astrohall - but it's a lot of money. Some people have spoken in front of county commissioners court arguing that any functions a new Astrohall could perform could be folded into a renovated Astrodome, thus saving hundreds of millions while still saving the Astrodome. If you agree, consider writing emails or letters to the county commissioners expressing support for that approach.

I've come to terms with the Dome being torn down. It's the Houston way. I guess now the real question is what will become of the land? Parking?

Parking is also the Houston way.

What if it were a parking structure, in the shape of the astrodome?

Edited by samagon

The dome WOULD be the world's biggest parking garage, but have you considered the difficulties motorists would face in getting in and out of it?

You could have 20 or 25 floors of parking inside the dome, but I wouldn't want to be forced to park on one of the upper floors. It would take forever to get out. I think I would rather just take the train or the bus to Reliant Park, and I think a lot of other people would as well.

The dome WOULD be the world's biggest parking garage, but have you considered the difficulties motorists would face in getting in and out of it?

You could have 20 or 25 floors of parking inside the dome, but I wouldn't want to be forced to park on one of the upper floors. It would take forever to get out. I think I would rather just take the train or the bus to Reliant Park, and I think a lot of other people would as well.

Wait, what's the world's largest building that is purposefully left to disintegrate while still paying down the mortgage? We should sell tickets, or at least get it added to the guinness book of world records...

Wait, what's the world's largest building that is purposefully left to disintegrate while still paying down the mortgage? We should sell tickets, or at least get it added to the guinness book of world records...

Our very own Colosseum, as it were.

See - we should leave it alone just as it is. In a few years people will come from all over to gawk in amazement at the colossal ruins. Have tour guides on hand to show the damage done from the marauding Katrina-ites.

Maybe pipe in some water from Brays Bayou to spew into a fountain from a oil derrick and we can have our very own version of the Trevi Fountain

FYI: Unlike those who stayed behind in New Orleans and trashed the Superdome, the Katrina refugees who came to Houston left no damage and no messes in the Astrodome.

Eh - I know, I know. I was embellishing a wee bit to add to the "historical" part of our very own Colosseum ruins. Wish there was some sort of sarcasm smiley to add to posts.

• 1 year later...

109.png

Houston Mod and the Save The Dome Coalition respectfully ask for your support in the passage of Proposition 2. On Election Day this November 5th, the fate of OUR ASTRODOME will be in the hands of the citizens of Harris County. 

OUR ASTRODOME is an architectural marvel and a symbol of Houston's ingenuity. Its construction thrust Houston into the global spotlight. Over the years, OUR ASTRODOME hosted significant events and attracted millions of visitors to Houston. Houston Mod supports this opportunity to once again show the world what our community is capable of and ensure this internationally recognized icon will be saved for future generations.

Proposition 2 will authorize the sale of $217 million in bonds to create a special events and exhibition facility, while preserving the structure and the spatial experience of the Dome. If approved, Proposition 2 would raise taxes by $8 for a typical $200,000 home.

We encourage you to follow the links below to learn more facts about the economic and cultural impacts of the New Dome Experience.  

The preservation coalition working to save OUR ASTRODOME is comprised of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, Preservation Houston, Houston Mod, American Institute of Architects (AIA) - Houston, Houston Arts and Media, and Docomomo US. 

Visit harrisvotes.com for voting information. http://harrisvotes.com

More Info Links:  http://armartinez.com/houstonmod-images/SaveTheDomeFAQsFINAL10.3.13.pdf?utm_source=houston+astrodome&utm_campaign=Houston+Mod&utm_medium=email

http://www.houstonmod.org/bldg_detail.asp?id=22&by=endangered&ss=2

• Like 2

Here is an interesting read on The Atlantic Cities website about the Astrodome:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2013/11/sad-fate-historic-legacy-houston-astrodome/7527/

Sad that the Dome gets more coverage nationally than it does locally.

Despite what people say about how much it costs, or what an eyesore it is, I know deep down that when it is gone for good we will feel very sad about the loss.

Here is an interesting read on The Atlantic Cities website about the Astrodome:

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/design/2013/11/sad-fate-historic-legacy-houston-astrodome/7527/

Sad that the Dome gets more coverage nationally than it does locally.

Despite what people say about how much it costs, or what an eyesore it is, I know deep down that when it is gone for good we will feel very sad about the loss.

SO true.  The quality of Houston's journalism is a constant source of frustration and embarrassment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

All that you need to know about Hollywood’s actors and actresses was on display for the world to see on Sunday night. They just read the cue cards, even when they suspected the information they were reading was wrong.

Warren Beatty had an envelope that said “Best Actress,” and inside that envelope was a cue card that gave an actress’s name and the title of her picture. But Beatty was told by his handlers that he was announcing the best picture category, so he handed the cue card off to Faye Dunaway, who also did what she was told to do: She just read the card.

Hollywood will blame the accounting firm that provided Beatty with the card, but what we saw last night is that these folks can’t think for themselves, and they are more than happy to spout whatever is on the cue card whether it’s a political message or the name of an Oscar winner.

Beatty and Dunaway are Hollywood royalty, and even they can’t think for themselves. If something seems to be untrue, even they just read the cue card.

Most Americans didn’t watch the Oscars because they were warned that it would be nothing but political opinion. If people want political opinion they were already watching cable news. Hollywood has forgotten the reason we used to love them. They provided an escape from reality. They are paid to entertain, not constantly pound us with their opinions. Even the mother of all escapism, the Super Bowl halftime show, is now a vehicle for political commentary.

Normal people don’t want to be preached at, so fewer people are watching the Oscars. In the key 18- to 49-year-old advertising demographic, last night’s show was down 14 percent from last year. And 2016 viewership was down from prior years. But there is hope. The Oscars now appeal to the same people who watch auto racing hoping for a car wreck. These people may tune in next year hoping for another disaster.

I don’t like disasters. If it were up to me Houston would seize people’s dislike for California’s Hollywood and take the lead in helping develop something new and better. Texas loves to compete with California, and now it’s time to do it again. Harris County should open its doors to investors who would create a new home for motion picture production. The Astrodome should be transformed into the world’s largest indoor filming studio, and nearby property on the other side of the 610 Loop could be utilized for smaller studios, offices and support facilities.

Imagine a new entertainment empire forming in Houston that hires actors and actresses who simply want to entertain and allow us to escape from the world’s problems. Imagine all the talent that’s ready to work but they’ve been sidelined because their religion or political point of view didn’t play well in Hollywood. Let’s bring the adults back into the entertainment industry in management and on the screen.

So, if you see Harris County Judge Ed Emmett, remind him that the county would not have to do major renovations on the Astrodome, it would just have to clean up the place. Let the next movie-making empire do the rest.

The 8th Wonder of the World was built to entertain — in the future it could entertain in a new way, as a motion picture studio that would make the movies great again!

The post EDITORIAL: The Oscars and The Astrodome appeared first on Covering Katy News.

View the full article