Astrodome History At 8400 Kirby Dr.

houstonsemipro

• 4 weeks later...

The Astrodome. One of the best examples of what made Houston Houston before the oil crash. What I think should be done is do although I have no way of getting the sizes of the thing, but converting the Astrodome into a giant shopping mall lining the center, which would be converted into a theme park which is based on/pays homage to a certain former theme park across the street that closed in 2005. Some major renovation and expansion work would be done, but in the end, a large tourist-oriented mall will be one of the few malls with both a theme park AND an adjoining indoor stadium.

What do you guys think. I think it would be an awesome idea. :D

• 1 month later...

Wow, what a load of #$%*. A science center next to a football stadium and convention center?

I read the article, but I don't understand why the public wouldn't be able to use a hotel there. Are there any hotels not used by the public? Does the public not use the football stadium just as they would use a hotel? By paying to get inside?

My wife stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Hotel in Nashville for a convention last year. She was amazed by the indoor gardens, river, and waterfalls there. Why couldn't something like that be created inside the Dome? It would be a tourist attraction all by itself. Plus it would be linked to everything else by light rail. Man, I don't get why this is so hard. I can't understand why the rodeo would oppose it. Just give them their cut.

• 1 year later...

Some of you may have heard of a fictional kid named Harry Potter who appears in some books (and films). You may have even heard about a game he plays called Quidditch. And, you may have seen news articles recently about the Fourth Annual Quidditch World Cup, held in NYC's DeWitt Clinton Park this past weekend (http://www.internationalquidditch.org/)...

Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Why not set up some sort of rigging at the top of the 'Dome from which we'll suspend a set of brooms and play 'real' Quidditch! Talk about putting Houston on the map!

cool.gif

• 2 months later...

Could Science (and one billion dollars) save the Astrodome?

http://www.culturema...-the-astrodome/

In a 20-minute presentation to an audience of media and tourism professionals organized by the Convention and Visitors Bureau, Reliant Park general manager Mark Miller relayed his organizations' vision for the now sad-sack Astrodome, and how much it's likely to cost us.

Poll: http://www.culturema...d-it-to-space-/

Are they actually getting closer to deciding???

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I know there have been Save The Astrodome petitions elsewhere, but I couldn't find a mention of this one.

http://www.preservationnation.org/take-action/this-place-matters/community-challenge/places/greater-houston-preservation.html'>http://www.preservationnation.org/take-action/this-place-matters/community-challenge/places/greater-houston-preservation.html

It's part of the National Trust for Historic Preservation's 2011 This Place Matters Community Challenge. You can vote for landmarks that should be saved, including the Astrodome.

Here's the main page for the challenge: http://www.preservationnation.org/take-action/this-place-matters/community-challenge/

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

On channel 11 news last night.

http://www.khou.com/...-144994555.html

I have lots of great memories about the Astrodome. I'll never forget the first time I was there. Saw several Astro games that first year when new attendance records were being set. The thing I miss the most is the high school football playoff games there. Spent many Saturdays there watching high school football.

Edited by youbetcha

I also saw the feature on the Astrodome on Channel 11 last night. How sad. My high school went to the playoffs in 1978. I was in the marching band. It was the first time we would do our show on Astroturf so we were there early on a Saturday morning practicing our routine for the half-time show later that afternoon.

The Oilers had a game with the Bengals the next day. After we finished our morning practice we were gathered under the bleachers when the Bengal players came out of the locker room to enter the field for their drills. I had never seen that many huge people together in one place! I suppose the first players I saw were linemen. Of course they were even more impressive in their uniforms with the shoulder pads and helmets that made them look even bigger but it seemed they were all at least six and a half feet tall and weighed in the neighborhood of 300 pounds.

I was there that day. Aldine made the playoffs for the first time in 20 years in '78. Our very first game in the dome was against Vidor, where Aldine head coach Bill Smith was from. It was like going to the circus for the first time. We also played La Porte that following week. I don't remember which week the Bengals were in town, but I saw some of them them take the field. Aldine played in the dome 34 times between 1978 and 2003, Smith's last year. There were schools that played more than that. The most games I ever saw in a day was three and I left before the last game.

My history with the Astros in the Dome was funny. I swear to you that it seemed like every time I took my kids out to a game the Astros would lose.

If the Astros were leading going into the ninth inning, and we decided to leave early to get ahead of the traffic, they would be losing by the time we got to our car. At the same time, if they were behind going into the ninth, and we left early, they would be ahead by the time we got to the car.

It happened so often it got to be a family joke. My son would say "hey dad let's go help the Astros lose tonight." Or, "hey dad let's stay home and help the Astros win."

We joked that the Astros put guards at the gates with instructions to NOT let US in. We finally wised up and stopped leaving early.

Truth be told we did see them win a whole bunch of games over many years. The most fun I ever had in the Dome was the night my son and I watched the Astros put an old fashioned country whuppin' on the Reds.

It was one of those nights when everything went right for the Astros. Final score was something like 14 to nothing. They couldn't do anything wrong. Hits went everywhere. Half the team hit home runs. Everybody in our section in the mezzanine was high-fiveing all night.

Edited by FilioScotia