Astrodome History At 8400 Kirby Dr.

houstonsemipro

I am stunned that not more of you have signed the petition. We have to save the Astrodome. This is what defined Houston.

I am of the opposition, I say take it all down, gut it first, and try to sell off as memorabilia pieces, but since the city council is so stupid as to NOT use it for the Dynamo as their "New" stadium, the Dome is of NO VALUE, whatsoever. All it is now is a money pit. We need to quit spending money on security guards and the light bill for this place and turn it into parking already. I have quite possibly been to the Dome more than ANYONE else on this forum, except for somebody that has worked there. I love the place, but it is time to let it go if they aren;t gonna use it for ANYTHING !

I have never really liked the Dome. So I would have no qualms if they tore it down. But that's not my decision since I am no longer a resident there.

I have many, many great memories from going to the Dome. I still have my ticket from the UH/UCLA Hayes/Alcindor basketball game, the one that put college basketball in the Big Time. I saw Clay fight Big Cat Williams there. I saw Jamie Bravo gored by a bull, just as he was in every performance there.

I saw the first soccer game played there, although I was so bored I think I fell asleep and

SNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORED!

I saw the worst pro football game ever played there. It was the Oilers and the Steelers when Pastorinni and Bradshaw were both rookies. Pittsburgh won 10-7. Both teams were so inept it was laughable. The other 10 people in the crowd thought it was boring, too!

I have all those and many, many more memories of the Dome, but still I disliked the place. It made you feel like you were watching a show that a sporting event. It was just too

Some slides my Dad took during the 60's of the Dome during it's glory days:

1st Exhibition game with the Yankees in April, 1965:

gallery_1265_51_16460.jpg

This was not the first exhibition game with the Yankees. I attended that game on a Friday night, and the Astros won 2-1. The scoreboard clock here reads 3:53.

This was not the first exhibition game with the Yankees. I attended that game on a Friday night, and the Astros won 2-1. The scoreboard clock here reads 3:53.

I don't know if it was this game or not, but at one of the first games, Julius LsRoas sang the National Anthem - and forgot the words!

Hate to disagree with ya there bud, but my Dad was pretty specific when he wrote this information on his boxes of slides. Also, here is a link to the covrage of that first game. It started at 2:35. I would have to think that was PM and not Am:

http://www.astrosdaily.com/history/19650409/

The scoreboard clock here reads 3:53

Maybe that was the time left in the game?

JB, if the game started at 2:35, and the clock shows 3:53. that means they played the game in a little over an hour.

I would swear the opening game with the Yankees was played at night. It was probably one of the biggest single day events in the City's history.

If anyone remembers, the very first event in the Dome open to the public was a sellout. It took place a week or so before the Yankees series. The event? It was the Boy Scouts Jamboree. People didn't care about the event. They just wanted to be the first to see the Dome.

ETA:

JB, I looked at the link you provided. The story says the first game was an Astros win, 2-1 in 12 innings. In your picture, the 'Stros won 3-2 in 9 innings. That picture is surely not the first game.

Besides, I wouldn't argue with the man who taught Nolan everything there was to know about pitching. In fact, rumor has it that T-Bird also taught Satchel Paige, but that can't be confirmed.

Edited by Heights2Bastrop

Hate to disagree with ya there bud, but my Dad was pretty specific when he wrote this information on his boxes of slides. Also, here is a link to the covrage of that first game. It started at 2:35. I would have to think that was PM and not Am:

http://www.astrosdaily.com/history/19650409/

It was at night. I was there.

All below is from your link above..

Woodeshick had tossed five innings and was done for the night.

The stars came out at night in Houston, even if it was under a roof. Mantle and Fox both rose to the occasion, as they so often did. Each would later be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

The big scoreboard's 45-second "ecstasy" display for a Houston victory or home run was set off at the end of the eighth inning on opening night for the President's benefit, although the Astros were locked in a tie at the time.

Game Played on Friday, April 9, 1965 (N) at Astrodome (This was in the box score info. N for night game. D for day game)

The big scoreboard's 45-second "ecstasy" display for a Houston victory or home run was set off at the end of the eighth inning on opening night for the President's benefit, although the Astros were locked in a tie at the time.

Game Played on Friday, April 9, 1965 (N) at Astrodome (This was in the box score info. N for night game. D for day game)

Don't get too technical there, some of us might not be able to understand those hi-tech symbols for the day and night games.

It was at night. I was there.

All below is from your link above..

Woodeshick had tossed five innings and was done for the night.

The stars came out at night in Houston, even if it was under a roof. Mantle and Fox both rose to the occasion, as they so often did. Each would later be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Man I remember it like it was yesterday. It was my birthday present from my Grandfather. We were both avid baseball fans. Opening day was my birthday, it was a Friday afternoon and I was a teenage kid in awe of the entire thing. We drove down from Bryan that morning, was the rare chance to get another look at "The Mick" in person. Even though he was only a shell of the once great player he was, he was still Mickey Mantle, and that was enough. He was coming off of the '64 Series, that arguably enough even though it was his last, was maybe his greatest he ever played. Because if you were a fan, and knew your stuff, you knew under those pinstripes was a walking mummy or bandages and wraps. The man was virtually crippled, but would still step it up when the chips were down. And that Friday morning I was on my way to perhaps see the last peek at "The Mick" in the flesh. I actually shook his hand in Northpark Mall in Dallas in 1989, he was there for a trading card deal, and was just strolling through the Mall, and no one even knew who he was. But that day in the dome, even though he stayed in the game another few years, was the last time I ever got to see him play in person ever again. I walked into the place, the largest building I had ever seen, and I had to just stand there for a few minutes and take it all in. It is something I will never forget as long as I live. I have been in several other domes over the years, including the current Reliant Park, and none of them took my breath away like the original article. There is and always will ever be one "Astrodome". Just a dumbstruck teenage kid from Bryan Texas, that was seeing history in the making, and it eventually changed stadiums for everyone. A/C, NO MOSQUITOS, and at the time the coolest scoreboard in the business.

Don't get too technical there, some of us might not be able to understand those hi-tech symbols for the day and night games.

Sorry if I went over your head. I just wanted to cover all bases for those who might not know. :P

Man I remember it like it was yesterday. It was my birthday present from my Grandfather. We were both avid baseball fans. Opening day was my birthday, it was a Friday afternoon and I was a teenage kid in awe of the entire thing. We drove down from Bryan that morning, was the rare chance to get another look at "The Mick" in person. Even though he was only a shell of the once great player he was, he was still Mickey Mantle, and that was enough. He was coming off of the '64 Series, that arguably enough even though it was his last, was maybe his greatest he ever played. Because if you were a fan, and knew your stuff, you knew under those pinstripes was a walking mummy or bandages and wraps. The man was virtually crippled, but would still step it up when the chips were down. And that Friday morning I was on my way to perhaps see the last peek at "The Mick" in the flesh. I actually shook his hand in Northpark Mall in Dallas in 1989, he was there for a trading card deal, and was just strolling through the Mall, and no one even knew who he was. But that day in the dome, even though he stayed in the game another few years, was the last time I ever got to see him play in person ever again. I walked into the place, the largest building I had ever seen, and I had to just stand there for a few minutes and take it all in. It is something I will never forget as long as I live. I have been in several other domes over the years, including the current Reliant Park, and none of them took my breath away like the original article. There is and always will ever be one "Astrodome". Just a dumbstruck teenage kid from Bryan Texas, that was seeing history in the making, and it eventually changed stadiums for everyone. A/C, NO MOSQUITOS, and at the time the coolest scoreboard in the business.

I agree that even though Reliant may be bigger, it simply doesn't have the impact that the Astrodome had. I remember as a kid the Astrodome was enough of a tourist attraction that there were tours given on non-game days.

Hofeinz' daugher had and Op/Ed piece in the Sunday paper.

Anyone have a link? I only have the print copy.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editor...ok/5527925.html

My father, Roy Hofheinz, was Harris County judge the year I was born. He was just 24.

He became mayor of Houston at age 40. During those years my Daddy/Daughter time with him was spent going to minor league baseball games at Buff Stadium. Frustrated by the many rainchecks that cut into our time together I asked simply, "Why can't we play baseball inside?"He teasingly accused me of taking his "smart pills."

Whats the highest and best use for that property? I'd say tear it down. It's obsolete. I don't think it's historical value, if it actually has any, is anything close to what we're paying for upkeep.

Maybe they should look at it from the point of view of a private owner, who would have, I'm sure, scrapped it long ago. If there was any use at all for that place, It wouldn't still be vacant. I believe the only reason it's still standing is to placate the crowds who say it has historical value. But mark my words, after it sits vacant a few more years, it will be imploded. Just have to wait out the historical nuts. Maybe a voter referrendum is in order, if anyone actually cares. It's a political hot potato as well.

Cykat

Edited by CyKat

Whats the highest and best use for that property? I'd say tear it down. It's obsolete. I don't think it's historical value, if it actually has any, is anything close to what we're paying for upkeep.

Maybe they should look at it from the point of view of a private owner, who would have, I'm sure, scrapped it long ago. If there was any use at all for that place, I wouldn't be still vacant. I believe the only reason it's still standing is to placate the crowds who say it has historical value. But mark my words, after it sits vacant a few more years, it will be imploded. Just have to wait out the historical nuts. Maybe a voter referrendum is in order, if anyone actually cares. It's a political hot potato as well.

Cykat

I tend to agree. I am not sure ANY developer is gonna come up with a viable plan for it.

Am I also correct that many of the country's first domed stadiums have already been demolished?