Astrodome History At 8400 Kirby Dr.

houstonsemipro

I don't think the man's lying or being a bum over the matter. I worked at a motel for a couple of years while in college. Here are some numbers to play with:

$4o.oo a night x 6o available rooms = $24oo.oo Gross Daily Profit

$24oo.oo x 30 days = $72ooo.oo Gross Monthly Profit

Now, lets look at basic expenses:

1. 6 maids (1 for every 10 rooms) @ $1o.oo an hour = $6o.oo

$6o.oo x 8 hour work day = $48o.oo Daily Maid Expense

$48o.oo x 3o days work = $14,4oo.oo Monthly Maid Expense

2. 1 front desk clerk @ $1o.oo an hour x 8 hour work day = $8o.oo

$8o.oo x 3 (to cover a 3 - 8 hour shifts in a day) = $24o.oo

$24o.oo x 3o = $7,2oo.oo

3. 1 security guard @ $1o.oo an hour x 8 hour work day = $8o.oo

$8o.oo x 3 (to cover a 3 - 8 hour shifts in a day) = $24o.oo

$24o.oo x 3o = $7,2oo.oo

Okay, so far we're up to $28,ooo.oo in just salaries. Of course they could have more personnel like maintence, managers, lifeguards (pool), breakfast area attendants, etc etc. We haven't even began to talk about utilities like gas, electricity, landscaping, water, cable (HBO is free in your room - but ISN'T free to the motel owner), etc etc. Also, you have to consider the insurance policy both on the facility and the employees. Lastly, is the property even paid off? If not, theres a mortage to deal with too.

So lets say the motel lets all those people stay for free - and they only take up one-fourth of his motel occupancy. Assuming the motel can keep 100% occupancy (which they can never 100% ALWAYS do), that still only gives them $54,ooo.oo monthly total Gross Profit. Subtract your employee costs and that leaves you with just $26,ooo.oo to pay all your other bills.

Sure it sounds like a lot, but thats assuming alot of things. He hasn't even started to pay the bills yet. I would bet that this man is telling the truth. Do you think he would want the bad publicity he knows he would get from locking them out?

I'm not taking either side, I just think we need to look at as many facts before we discredit anybody. Making comments about how "underwelmed" we are won't change a business' budget.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DATE: 9/8/2005

Joint Katrina Housing Task Force Opens Housing-Choice Center; Starts Placing Katrina Victims In Houston Area

To: Houston Regional Media Outlets

September 8, 2005 (HOUSTON) - Beginning yesterday, the newly-formed Joint Katrina Housing Task Force began operating a Housing-Choice Center to send Hurricane Katrina evacuees from areas within Reliant Park to longer-term housing.

The Housing-Choice Center is located in the Pavilion-area of the Reliant Arena. There, Katrina survivors will be offered different housing options and receive additional instructions on how they will be placed in their new longer-term homes.

The Housing-Choice Center is currently assisting only evacuees staying inside of Reliant Park. To provide assistance to these evacuees in an orderly manner, Joint Task Force workers are canvassing the Astrodome and Reliant Center and then sending eligible people to the Housing-Choice Center for assistance. This is a very important step since Joint Task Force officials want to ensure that evacuees are offered the right form of longer-term housing for their specific needs, and that they are located in an area that makes sense as an extended solution. There is currently no walk-up service at the Center.

As of now, the Joint Task Force has placed 1,500 people in six privately-operated apartment complexes. Payment for this housing varies by evacuee and includes a variety of vouchers and other forms of subsidies - such as HUD Section 8 Housing-Choice Vouchers. The length of each evacuee's stay will vary depending on their individual needs. It is anticipated that many evacuees will stay in their new homes for an extended period.

The Joint Task Force expects that the Housing-Choice Center will be open to other evacuees (i.e., those outside of Reliant Park) next week through a mobile-processing van that will allow evacuees to register with FEMA, the Red Cross and other assistance groups. Currently, however, the center is only processing evacuees specifically sent there by canvassers from the Joint Task Force, which will make an announcement when it is ready to start servicing additional evacuees. There is currently no public phone number to contact the Housing-Choice Center.

Evacuees housed outside of Reliant Park, as well as those in the George R. Brown Convention Center, are encouraged to continue contacting FEMA and other service agencies while the Housing-Choice Center expands its operations.

To ensure a supply of modern, clean and comfortable housing, the Joint Task Force is currently working with more than 200 Houston and surrounding-area apartment operators and developers to identify open apartments for evacuees -- as well as other housing options through FEMA.

In addition, the Joint Task Force is working with corporate partners to secure the following items for Katrina evacuees once they are placed in their new longer-term homes: mattresses, furniture, bedding, toiletries and cookware. In addition, it is arranging for Red Cross visits and food-bank deliveries to all apartment complexes agreeing to assist Katrina survivors. The Joint Task Force has also arranged for the Texas Work Force Commission to coordinate job training for evacuees at all apartment complexes that have taken in more than 100 Katrina survivors.

About The Joint Katrina Housing Task Force

The Joint Katrina Housing Task Force is composed of officials from several Houston regional-housing authorities, as well as officials from FEMA, HUD and the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs. Local public-safety authorities and non-profit entities are also assisting the Joint Task Force. As of now, it has placed 1,500 people into new longer-term housing - including 600 seniors. It hopes to place several hundred Katrina survivors in new homes each day. Guy Rankin from the Harris County Housing Authority is serving as the director of the Joint Task Force. Buddy Grantham is managing the Housing-Choice Center's operations. Grantham is a retired military officer with more than 20 years experience managing logistics for housing operations. John Walsh, Mayor White's deputy chief of staff for housing, is also helping lead the effort by identifying available housing and coordinating contracting processes.

# # #

• 1 month later...
No. Isn't late Aug. around the time hrurricane Katrina hit.

I guess after the dome was used as a shelter all other ideas were put on the back burner.

How far along was the hotel idea? I forget.

Last time I heard ANYthing, on August 19th or 20th, the Astrodome Redevelopment dudes came out with ONE rendering of that picture you saw of a riverwalk and hotel inside the Dome. But good point. Maybe Katrina was a factor as to why nothing's developed since then.

I'm curious if they are really serious about building this project, or if it was just a idea thrown in or something.

• 9 months later...
Guest Plastic

I'm quit upset witht he plans to rennovate our loved Astrodome. They want to turn it into a hotel.

I say no. Let's do one of the cooler things. Let's turn the Astrodome intoa nightclub. The Astrodisco would be it's name. WOuld be the world's largest nightclub. WOuld feature raves and concerts as well. It have lights,lasers and a giant discoball hanging from the roof of the Astrodome.

I say that or on indoor amusement park. Give us something since Astroworld's gone.

I'm quit upset witht he plans to rennovate our loved Astrodome. They want to turn it into a hotel.

I say no. Let's do one of the cooler things. Let's turn the Astrodome intoa nightclub. The Astrodisco would be it's name. WOuld be the world's largest nightclub. WOuld feature raves and concerts as well. It have lights,lasers and a giant discoball hanging from the roof of the Astrodome.

I say that or on indoor amusement park. Give us something since Astroworld's gone.

I'm speechless.

Guest Plastic
The Astro Disco? That is about the lamest idea I've heard.

And The AstroHotel isn't?

Atleast it'd be something the citizens hOuston could have some fun off of.

I'd rather see it turned into rubble than the hotel thing they're working on. The dome is one of the last uniquely Houston buildings we have left. Surely Dallas is somehow behind the plans currently on the boards.

Dallas heading up plans to save our Astrodome? Doubt it. They've been jealous since before they forgot to close that hole in Texas Stadium.

On topic: That disco thing isn't worth a reply...

This sounds like a kinda cool, uniquely Houston concept.

I reminds me a little of Houston when I first visited/moved there in the late 80's/early 90's. The market was depressed enough where people could get many good places so cheap that they could do whatever they wanted - as long as they could pay "rent".

I am glad that Houston's economy is strong again, but the creativity that the slump encouraged cannot be easily duplicated today.

Plastic I think this idea makes a lot of fiscal sense. The place would be pulling in at least $400,000 a year. :blink:

:lol::lol::lol:

Never fear Plastic, I am sure there will be a "themed" bar in the hotel, plenty big enough. I was a little upset, that they didn't go with my idea and turn it into the world's largest strip club. I thought that was a winner for sure.

Have you lost your mind? It's gotta mean something when a DJ is saying that a nightclub wouldn't work...

Have you ever heard of Transit? It's the name of the biggest rave ever in Houston history. The year was 2000. Over 20,000 people packed the AstroArena complex, and over 60 of the most hottest djs from around the world spun that night. People were reported to have driven from Florida and San Fransisco to check this party out. Radio stations mainstream and underground were broadcasting the mixes live across the country, and some on the internet were able to broadcast worldwide. It was supposed to be the rave that would have put Houston and electronic music on the mainstream clubbing/party map permantly....

I didn't get to go. I ended up working at a pizza parlor a little late to close up. The next night, I hear about the rave from all my friends, and they were telling me of all the celebrities they saw show up. It seemed Houston was abuzz about going out again...until two nights later when it was found out that News2Houston did a special 3-night special investigative report on raves and just so happened to have hidden cameras all over Transit. Come to find out, so did 20/20, CBS, MTV, and many others. They were cracking down on partiers under 18 going in without any prejudice, and the people who were jacking up the rave scene by doing drugs. In this case, they were doing drugs in the AstroArena, with an HPD presence, with an underage presense, in a facility funded by taxpayers.

As a result of the media, raves started to get raided and were automatically associated with drugs, though there are MANY people out there that are into electronic music but are anti-drug (like myself). Then after that, more big name djs had no place to spin but nightclubs, many of whom were not willing to shell out that kind of cash for a big name. As the buzz for the party scene died down, the only places left to check out the electronic music scene mainstream seemed to be Richmond Strip, and the Beat on 104KRBE Saturday nights. We all know where they stand today.

The electronic music scene needs HUGE help in Houston, but the AstroDisco probably wouldn't work. Reliant Park DOES have potential to have some kind of nightlife around or in it, but the hotel is a sure bet, whereas nightclubs in Houston now seem to have a lifespan of -3 years :unsure:

Archived