Astrodome History At 8400 Kirby Dr.

houstonsemipro

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Astrodome should be used for soccer, because it's just sitting there and why build a new stadium when we have a city icon with no use.

With the money the city is planning to waste on a new stadium , they could add a moving pitch, like the one on Sapporo Dome in Japan. This feature would allow the dome to have grass instead of turf, and this idea could get the city some points to get a MLS franchise.I rather keep the dome as a sports venue instead of a hotel or something else.

• 4 weeks later...
There reportedly are a number of issues still to be solved, including what kind of playing surface would be used. The Astrodome has a permanent roof, and when baseball and football were played there, growing grass was a lost cause, leading to the advent of AstroTurf. A grass tray system is being studied.

Regarding this is it possible to put real grass back in. I believe it had real grass and clear windows on the roof when it was built. Then it was changed because there was glare when the players tried to catch fly balls. So if they cleaned the paint off of these and put in real grass would that work?

Regarding this is it possible to put real grass back in.  I believe it had real grass and clear windows on the roof when it was built.  Then it was changed because there was glare when the players tried to catch fly balls.  So if they cleaned the paint off of these and put in real grass would that work?

Yes it would. However, for the city to be able to used the Astrodome as a multi-function, it'd have to be removable plates similar to that at Reliant Stadium.

The best thign about this deal is that the Dome will have a future in sports, what it was built for.

As a traditionalist, I just had a hard time visualizing a mall, museum, or parking garage inside of the Dome. I personally think Club America will choose its permanent home to be the Dome instead of building a new outdoor stadium to double as a high school football facility. Club America and it's owners Televisa, do things on a grand scale and spend extravagantly. Nothing is grander in this city then the Astrodome. If all goes well as expected, I expect the Astrodome to be renovated to seat 30,000 by removing both east and west end upper deck stands.

So hopefully we've found a perfect fit for the future of the Dome in sports, as it should be.

I agree completely. I've always had a hard time with some of the hokie (in appearance, at least) suggestions for salvaging the Dome. While, certainly saving old edifices is admirable and often, a new use is interesting and even celebrated, the proposals for the Dome just never seemed to measure up.

The proposal to make the Dome into a premier indoor track facility was the one idea worth pursuing. If it is only feasible in conjunction with an Olympic bid, so be it. But, it was a fitting use for the world's first indoor stadium.

A soccer specific arena with real grass also befits the Dome's heritage. A retrofit that reduces the seating capacity to a more usable figure (empty seats are a downer) could make the venue more intimate and space for innovative additions to increase attendance. Whether it features Field Turf or grass (my preference), an intelligently redesigned Dome would make an immediate splash in the MSL and the soccer world at large.

Plus, a rebirth of an American football icon into a world Football palace just has a great feel to it.

Maintanance and upkeep costs aside, I hope that financially, this is a workable deal. Clearly, Club America seems intrigued by it.

i really hope that the mexican league team gets it because i can see them having more fans than the american team.

With such a huge hispanic population, houstons full of soccer fanatics who will totally flood the dome if we get the team.

id go see a game there too.

Looks like MLS in Houston may be a done deal.  This article suggests a temporary home in the Astrodome, with a permanent home to be built later.

http://www.soccertimes.com/mls/2005/jul08.htm

credit to blogHOUSTON for this link.

the article mentions the only current use of the astrodome is "some high school events and the rodeo". the rodeo moved to reliant as well right?

i hope this happens, using the astrodome for sports again would be great. haven't been there since the astros last season there...

Guest Mastermindbuilder

The rodeo still have other things going on in the Dome, they call it "the hideout" They have concerts there, but the major rodeo have been moved to relaint stadium.

It will be nice to see this MLS TEAM move here to H-town. I know for fact, this will be the best place for them. Still then, the Dome will be temportary until they built the propose stadium by northwest mall off of 290 hwy.

• 3 weeks later...

"The sale of United might be a precursor to a decision on whether the Earthquakes are sold. San Jose media last week reported that AEG would make a decision within 30 days on whether to sell the franchise.

The time frame coincides with an Aug. 18 deadline Astrodome Redevelopment Co. has with the Harris County Sports and Convention Corp., which manages the Reliant Astrodome, on whether to proceed with plans to turn the stadium's grounds into a site for a hotel and convention center."

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3291989

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Is Houston prepared for it's own emergencies? Astrodome is supposed to fit 25,000 people. We just started taking the refugees today. The brunt of the refugee buses haven't even arrived yet. We're already at capacity now? Where are the refugees going, and is Houston ready for it's own backup plans to come through if something falls through like this again?

DATE: 9/1/2005

Astrodome Reaches Maximum Capacity

To: Houston Regional Media Outlets

The Astrodome has reached maximum capacity this evening as it houses the latest arrivals from the New Orleans Superdome. Emergency management personnel have started efforts to assist authorities in securing the health, safety and welfare of the victims still in Louisiana, evacuees already inside the Astrodome and relief workers by working with local authorities to accommodate any special transportation needs.

The American Red Cross hotline number for victims needing shelters in the Houston area is 1-866-GET-INFO.

They are using Reliant Center. Given the number of bookings in both Reliant Center and George R. Brown, and the liabilities involved in cancelling the contracts, I would suspect that the city will try to limit the use of GRB for refugees. It will be needed to take on some of the county's events pushed out of Reliant Center.

Also, by keeping everyone in the same vicinity, it is logistically much easier to take care of them.

How about the "Oasis of Love?" It's a church that seats 50,000. Isn't this exactly the sort of things that churches get involved in? The regular parishoners can just watch Joel on TV, freeing up the space for people who need it.

They are using Reliant Center.  Given the number of bookings in both Reliant Center and George R. Brown, and the liabilities involved in cancelling the contracts, I would suspect that the city will try to limit the use of GRB for refugees.  It will be needed to take on some of the county's events pushed out of Reliant Center.

Also, by keeping everyone in the same vicinity, it is logistically much easier to take care of them.

They are using the GRB now also.....

Archived