Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

Maybe the ugly side of this building should have a giant 20-story jumbotron facing the park. Think of advertising revenue. All the haifers that want more lighting for DT at night would be so happy.

That reminds me of the fun, heated debate about the tackiness of public jumbo-trons in the Houston Pavilions thread. There was much disagreement. As far as I know, there are still no jumbo-trons at HP and there may never have been any plans for any. We tend to make things up and run with it in this wild west internet place.

I just don't think, at the end of the day, people not like us, will be at Discovery Green or the GRB and say, "ya know, that's a pretty ugly building, but hey, pretty cool that it's there anyway." They'll just think, "dang, that's kinda ugly."

I think most people at Disco Green will actually be focusing their attention on the cooling waters of the fully functional fountains rather than the buildings surrounding the park. It's hot here, and all. Priorities.

I'll register my disgust with the building's facade by not ever renting a room there. Granted, I probably won't ever rent a room in the same city as where my house is located, but still...

It's a reasonably intensive use of the site, considering how tiny a parcel of land it is.

I suppose you're right.

I guess we should not expect too much for the east side of downtown anyway. And I actually like the idea of two parcels on one block since that's how a lot of old buildings are, except these won't be touching. It'll make things look more dense though.

Separate parcel, a fair bit bigger than the one Embassy Suites is on.

Niche, you might be right, but gauging from the live cam, the one embassy suites is on looks much bigger than what remains. ES is on the wider half and the rest is on the skinnier half.

live cam: http://oxblue.com/pro/open/linbeck/embassysuites

maybe the square footage is bigger, but it sure is deceiving.

Also, I assume they have enough parking in the garage? Or else if the other parcel ever gets built on, people will have to use on-street parking. Not that the surface parking has a ton of spaces, what, maybe 40?

Niche, you might be right, but gauging from the live cam, the one embassy suites is on looks much bigger than what remains. ES is on the wider half and the rest is on the skinnier half.

live cam: http://oxblue.com/pro/open/linbeck/embassysuites

maybe the square footage is bigger, but it sure is deceiving.

Also, I assume they have enough parking in the garage? Or else if the other parcel ever gets built on, people will have to use on-street parking. Not that the surface parking has a ton of spaces, what, maybe 40?

You could very nearly (within 5 or 10 feet) inscribe the Embassy Suites parcel within the adjacent parcel, and there are continuous lines that can be drawn to bisect the adjacent parcel at 340 feet, 275 feet, 270 feet, 210 feet, 200 feet, and so on. The narrowest portion of the parcel is 60 feet, about the width of one tier of the Four Seasons Hotel tower, over a couple blocks.

As for parking, the City enforces parking requirements without very much flexibility. If the hotel is leasing surface spaces as their own anywhere in the vicinity so as to meet City requirements and that parcel gets developed, the hotel (or the new development) will have to come up with new spaces from somewhere, and it would not be on-street parking.

You mean the expansive view of downtown, there just one view of expansiveness, and thats towards the north. Parking lots,toyota center, hilton americas, scattered buildings, and more parking lots to the left/west. Parking lots, Discovery Tower, MMP, scattered structures, Harris Co. justice buildings, and more parking lots to the right/east. Not really expansive.And until those parking lots turn into something, I'd prefer a supertall that blocks out that view of the parking lots, but heck a 2 story structure can block that, so it doesn't really have to be a supertall.

Well depending on where you're standing in Discovery Green looking west/southwest, you can still see the Enron/Chevron blgs., Continental, Houston Center, etc. as well as many of the taller skyscrapers on the west side of downtown, and if you get @ the right angle on sloped ground near the performance pavillon, you can even see Mainplace.

So that's what I mean by "expansive" -- a view of towers other than just those immediately surrounding the park.

Once you are deep inside the park, the parking lots in the vicinity are hardly noticeable because of the many trees and small structures throughout the park.

• 1 month later...

is that sarcasm? i'm not gettin' a "beaut" feeling about this at all. it's a far cry from the first rendering. better than a parking lot, yes; attractive addition to discovery green area, nope.

LOL yes I was being sarcastic.

This is very true. But in Velvet J's defense: since when did knowing what the hell you are talking about ever matter at HAIF. Suggesting that all those other cities don't allow ugly buildings to be built is asinine.

Check out this beauty in dt dallas

3048828699_83667faa3c.jpg

For all you haters out there, just be glad that a 19-story building like ES can't make that big of an impact downtown other than infill and to remove a part of a surface lot. But I would also suggest waiting until this building is finished to make your judgments.

I spent about eight hours yesterday driving to and from Dallas. I think that the Sheraton is among the most architecturally interesting buildings in Texas, entirely because the proportions and massing are so classy. It is what makes my mouth water when I drive by downtown Dallas (on my way to the northern suburbs, consistently). Too bad we didn't get something more like that.

• Like 1

I spent about eight hours yesterday driving to and from Dallas. I think that the Sheraton is among the most architecturally interesting buildings in Texas, entirely because the proportions and massing are so classy. It is what makes my mouth water when I drive by downtown Dallas (on my way to the northern suburbs, consistently). Too bad we didn't get something more like that.

Agreed on the Sheraton - great mid-century modern. Back when it was the Southland Center wasn't it banded in fluorescent lights?

The Embassy Suites just looks so...cheap.

Cheap is the only way to describe the look of this Embassy Suites. They chopped off 3 floors. They eliminated the roof that would have tied the building a little bit to One Park Place. The worst part though, is they turned their back on the actual park. The UGLIEST part of the building faces the park. Actually, I take that back, the worst part is these developers got public money to help build this thing and this is what we got. For all the folks that cry about regulations, it is my wish that we have some sort of architectural commission for downtown buildings that receive public funds.

• Like 1

From now on, every night before I go to bed I will say a prayer that niche and subdude are never put in charge of any building exteriors in Houston. I love mid-century architecture too, but the Sheraton tower in Dallas is the single ugliest building in dt Dallas. The top look likes a giant air conditioner vent. The tacky giant letters don't help. Having two sides with no windows on a tower that tall is a travesty. Worse yet, it is so prominent and ugly that it really does its part in ruining the Dallas skyline. I'd rather have ten more 19-story Embassy Suites in dt Houston that don't stand out, than that hideous monstrosity in Dallas.

Thank you God almighty that we don't have one of these in Houston.

You all think the facade and structure of the Downtown Dallas Sheraton is ugly? The view at street level is just as bad. I thought Starwood would have tried to do something to beautify the building, but alas, those hopes have been dashed.

The DT Houston Embassy Suites I definitely unattractive, but IMHO the DT Dallas Sheraton has it beat In the ugliness department. On the bright side, though, these two buildings can only get better with time, and some architectural improvements.

No specific date yet, but the website says the hotel will be opening in January 2011. Also there is some information, I'm not sure how much of this is already known/posted here. It will be the first LEED Certified hotel downtown.

The Embassy Suites Houston Downtown is Houston’s first LEED Certified hotel in the downtown district and features:

• Atrium Lobby and Water Features
  • Roofscape Pool and Spa
  • High-speed Internet Access / WIFI throughout entire hotel
  • 24 Hour Fitness Center by PreCor®
  • Complimentary Cooked-to-order Breakfast
  • Complimentary Evening Manager’s Reception
  • On-site Valet Parking
  • Courtesy Shuttle to downtown destinations
  • 24 Hour Embassy BusinessLink Business Center with Quick Charge Station
  • Gift shop with fully stocked pantry items
  • Restaurant/Bar on-site with street level entry
  • In-Suite Dining