Embassy Suites By Hilton Houston Downtown At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

..........unfortunately, all those great amenities do not make the building more appealing. ;)

I'm with totheskies on this one. Hopefully these amenities will help guests spend more money in downtown Houston! They had me at the free cooked to order breakfast.

I agree with you Jax! My great disappointment with this building is that they got us all excited with the rendering that was initially released only to drastically delete it's most aesthetic features. In essence they over-promised & under-delivered! Imagine getting promised a Lexus (or at least a fully loaded Toyota Avalon) and end up only getting a base-model Corolla. Now there's nothing wrong with a brand new Corolla, it's just less what we expected lol

As I've stated before, had they simply put out the true rendering & built this Embassy Suites as is, then I dont think we'd have half the complaints and "ugly" comments as we're having here. Truth be told, the final product is in line with a typical Embassy Suites and not any uglier. So whoever is comparing this to that Sheraton in DT Dallas is going way overboard.

• Like 1

I agree with you Jax! My great disappointment with this building is that they got us all excited with the rendering that was initially released only to drastically delete it's most aesthetic features. In essence they over-promised & under-delivered! Imagine getting promised a Lexus (or at least a fully loaded Toyota Avalon) and end up only getting a base-model Corolla. Now there's nothing wrong with a brand new Corolla, it's just less what we expected lol

As I've stated before, had they simply put out the true rendering & built this Embassy Suites as is, then I dont think we'd have half the complaints and "ugly" comments as we're having here. Truth be told, the final product is in line with a typical Embassy Suites and not any uglier. So whoever is comparing this to that Sheraton in DT Dallas is going way overboard.

Guess what... You aren't buying the Corolla or Lexus here.. You (The People) aren't buying anything.

Changes always happen in the design process for any number of reasons. Renderings take time, Time is money. Clients don't give a hoot about updating the renderings months and months down the line to update and appease the masses.

Renderings are not contracts with the people. Haifers put way too much stock in renderings.

Most renderings happen very early in the design process for the purpose of getting a client and investors excited, and to come up with a rough idea of what the finished product will look like. 6-12 months down the line when you're dealing with code issues, permitting issues, details, and getting construction documents out the door.. nobody cares about making sure the renderings are updated.

Haifers should accept the fact that changes are guaranteed to happen and that 99% of finished projects will never match the renderings you see when a project is announced.

• Like 1

Changes always happen in the design process for any number of reasons. Renderings take time, Time is money. Clients don't give a hoot about updating the renderings months and months down the line to update and appease the masses.

The original promotional poster for Tenneco Tower shows a different entryway than was actually built.

Imagine getting promised a Lexus (or at least a fully loaded Toyota Avalon) and end up only getting a base-model Corolla. Now there's nothing wrong with a brand new Corolla, it's just less what we expected lol.

That's not an analogy that I think that most people will be able to relate to. And it's a weak analogy. Nobody promised you anything.

Niche, go back on vacation for a few more days please..., I was enjoying your absence! You're right, no one promised me anything. Bad analogy or not, you get my point. I understand that the developers of the Embassy Suites owe me absolutely nothing & that they are free to build whatever the hell they want on their land (well atleast in Houston they are). In the same vein, I'm free to criticize, be disappointed, give whatever analogy I choose & expect more for my city. Thank you Sir.

Niche, go back on vacation for a few more days please..., I was enjoying your absence!

What are you talking about? I haven't been on a purely recreational trip in years. ...ugh, you made me contemplate my existence. More tequila is called for.

You're right, no one promised me anything. Bad analogy or not, you get my point.

No.

I understand that the developers of the Embassy Suites owe me absolutely nothing & that they are free to build whatever the hell they want on their land (well atleast in Houston they are). In the same vein, I'm free to criticize, be disappointed, give whatever analogy I choose & expect more for my city. Thank you Sir.

I am free to criticize your criticism.

Imagine getting promised a Lexus (or at least a fully loaded Toyota Avalon) and end up only getting a base-model Corolla. Now there's nothing wrong with a brand new Corolla, it's just less what we expected lol

That's not an analogy that I think that most people will be able to relate to. And it's a weak analogy. Nobody promised you anything.

Well try a little constructive criticism every now & then instead of the mumbo-jumbo rambling nonsense you often spit out bruh.

It made sense to me!

It made sense to me, too.

More tequila is called for.

There's your answer.

Yep, another perfect opportunity for Houston, wasted. I drove by the building to see what everyone is so upset about. Not only is the back of the building facing the park, but also the crown where the lighted E is supposed to go. The renderings made it look like it was going to be a light on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

This is probably the ugliest building to go up downtown in the last 30 years... the worst part is it's prime location on the park and the fact that the city subsidized this crap.

I mean if you're going to incentivize building something right on the CBD's most attractive feature, you should be able to demand a certain level of quality in design...

• Like 2

On a positive note, i was driving down 59N, then exited 45N and took a cruise by downtown.... At least the "better" side of ES faces the highway which makes for better skyline shots. I'm not saying this is ideal but it is probably better that the back is facing the park rather than the highway.

Not only is the back of the building facing the park, but also the crown where the lighted E is supposed to go. The renderings made it look like it was going to be a light on both sides.

I mean if you're going to incentivize building something right on the CBD's most attractive feature, you should be able to demand a certain level of quality in design...

Oh snap... Have either of you two called the Architecture Police yet ?!?! I believe "Not matching renderings" is a Class C Felony now.

• Like 1