Embassy Suites Hilton Houston Downtown Hotel At 1515 Dallas St.

ricco67

.........i'd still like a design committee for specific areas of town, like downtown, but nothing specifically authoritarian.

If not specifically authoritarian then suggestarian, perhaps? I think design committees belong in historic districts to protect and guide reuse of old structures, but not as a panel of taste experts imposing theirs on those who create professionally.

Besides, Houston already resembles a city "designed by committee". :)

If not specifically authoritarian then suggestarian, perhaps? I think design committees belong in historic districts to protect and guide reuse of old structures, but not as a panel of taste experts imposing theirs on those who create professionally.

Besides, Houston already resembles a city "designed by committee". :)

I've lived places where the planning board has oversight of design, but effectively only to the extent to ensure that proposals aren't drastically out of scale or clash with existing neighborhoods. In the case of Embassy Suites, there would have to be a delegation to allow them to stop construction on the grounds of sheer ugliness.

I've lived places where the planning board has oversight of design, but effectively only to the extent to ensure that proposals aren't drastically out of scale or clash with existing neighborhoods. In the case of Embassy Suites, there would have to be a delegation to allow them to stop construction on the grounds of sheer ugliness.

It's not impossible. I recall one case in Mesa, AZ where the board delayed the permitting process for a month on the basis of that the color of the trim on a retail center needed to be a darker shade of red. I don't know if you've ever been to Mesa, but there's certainly not a neighborhood pattern entailing dark red accents. The decision was purely aesthetic on the face of it, although the thought had struck me that it might have been politically-motivated on some level.

• 2 weeks later...

Yippee! Lets all Jump for Joy!

I do admit, the rooftop pool does seem kinda' nice. I bet it offers some kick ass views!

Edit: contest/bets on who is going to be the first HAIFer to post a photo from the roof of downtown/DG?

Edited by ricco67

Sorry for the less than perfect image quality. I was at an amazing vantage point but it was getting dark AND foggy/hazy when I took this.

The Embassy Suites looks so tiny sandwiched between Disco Tower and One Park Place.

img7245en.jpg

• Like 1

Embassy Suites Downtown is now open. I walked into it last night. The attendant said they opened last week.

the little side area is still under construction though. Not sure what is going to be there. The interior was nice, but wholly unimpressive. It doesn't look like a "typical" Embassy Suites... no large open area in the middle, no spacious patios or anything like that.

Edited by totheskies

saw something interesting on the site... been out of town so i don't know if this is open, has a potential tenant lined up or what

"The Embassy Suites Houston-Downtown is a 262 two-room all-suite urban high-rise hotel, overlooking Discovery Green Park and is adjacent to the Houston Rockets' Toyota Center. The hotel is also conveniently just steps away from the George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston Astros’ Minute Maid Park, the Houston Pavilions, Park Shops and within minutes of the 2nd largest theater district in the U.S..

Embassy Suites Houston-Downtown is located in downtown Houston’s Central Business District and features:

• 100% Non-Smoking Hotel
  • Lobby Atrium and Water Features
  • Roofscape Pool and Spa
  • 24 Hour Fitness Center by PreCor®
  • FREE Cooked-to-order Breakfast
  • Nightly Manager’s Reception
  • On-site Valet Parking
  • Courtesy Shuttle to downtown destinations
  • 24 Hour Embassy BusinessLink Business Center with Quick Charge Station
  • Gift shop with fully stocked pantry items
  • Restaurant/Bar on-site with street entry level
  • In-Suite Dining
  • Digital Concierge
  • 6,000 Sq feet of flexible function space
  • On-premise Catering
  • Family friendly activities/entertainment on weekends
  • Destination Management Concierge Services"

• 3 weeks later...

Wow so they put in a surface parking lot on the portion of the lot facing the park. What an awful development and a waste of a prime block. The lot is too small to build anything else. It is embarrassing (but not surprising) that the city decided to support this.

I thought we all concluded a long time ago that the adjacent pieces of land were owned by someone else and that something could be built there still? Does it not look realistic now? We need measurements.