800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential

TheNiche

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

15 minutes ago, tigereye said:

Anyone know what’s up with the Municipal Courts (Lubbock)? I thought there was a plan for the city to relocate municipal to 800 Bell and sell the land on Lubbock? 

Not really a "plan".  It was little more than an idea that was floated and pretty quickly dropped for cost and other reasons.  It seems the Municipal Courts/police project got put on a very back burner after the City got hit by Harvey and then COVID.  

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

So basically with all the comments in the above thread would it be more cost effective to just implode the building and start from scratch to build something more to spec of what a client wants? I so wish that the City of Houston would just order that the Holiday Inn building is not up to code enough for purchase and remodel and have the thing imploded. This is city government and when they want something done they usually can find loops holes and ways to get it done. At least get one of the empty buildings that is an eyesore out of the way. As far as the old Exon building, there are options it just needs someone to take action.

• Like 3

It costs millions to demo so it'll just sit there until someone figures they can recoup the costs with a new development on top of the demo costs. They already complain the margins are thin. It is the same reason the City voted to demo the Astrodome and then the City and County looked at the costs and nothing happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thatguysly said:

It costs millions to demo so it'll just sit there until someone figures they can recoup the costs with a new development on top of the demo costs. They already complain the margins are thin. It is the same reason the City voted to demo the Astrodome and then the City and County looked at the costs and nothing happened.

FWIW, nobody, least of all the City, has ever voted to demo the Astrodome.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

25 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Again, there has never been a vote by any body or group to demo the Astrodome.  Has. Not. Happened.

Fine. Voted against renovating it. The point remains that demo costs are too high to get rid of worthless structures unless the developer is willing to pay a premium. 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Exxon Building Downtown
  • 11 months later...

CMI stands for Carnegie Management Inc. The address is in a bank building in Williamsburg Brooklyn. None of that is glamorous but you never know. It seems most of their business is tenant management all over NYC. I tried sending an email to the email address listed but it was bounced back as 'undeliverable'.

There is another CMI in Houston (Central Management) but at a different website. https://cmirealestate.com/ I don't think that they are related.

This project seems very much out of the ordinary for what I could find out about CMI Brooklyn. In size and complexity and location. It doesn't mean that they couldn't do it but I'd lean more towards the possibility that they are buying the property for a private trust or the like.

My hopes are high but my expectations are very tempered.

Ran across a Mold-A-Rama history site containing some scans of an interesting period article about the building when it first opened. For those who aren't aware, the building originally had a coin-operated Mold-A-Rama machine installed on the floor that was publicly accessible as an observation deck, from which you could obtain your own plastic injection-molded replica of the building.

Humble Oil Building

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• The title was changed to 800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential
On 1/13/2023 at 3:46 PM, mkultra25 said:

Ran across a Mold-A-Rama history site containing some scans of an interesting period article about the building when it first opened. For those who aren't aware, the building originally had a coin-operated Mold-A-Rama machine installed on the floor that was publicly accessible as an observation deck, from which you could obtain your own plastic injection-molded replica of the building.

Humble Oil Building

If I could only find the one I had... that probably failed to survive some move or another decades ago. 🤷‍♂️

14 minutes ago, mollusk said:

If I could only find the one I had... that probably failed to survive some move or another decades ago. 🤷‍♂️

Likewise. Unfortunately, that particular model is highly sought after by Mold-A-Rama collectors due to its apparent scarcity. Some years ago I thought I'd replace my long-lost one, and figured it would be easy to locate one for cheap on eBay. I was mistaken. I've only seen two there in probably the last ten years, and the last one sold for over $100. 

You'd think there'd be more of them around, given the thousands of people that passed through that observation deck, but as I recall they weren't exactly inexpensive. At a time when coin-op candy/gum machines were usually a penny, even a quarter had a non-trivial amount of purchasing power, and I think the Mold-A-Rama replicas were closer to a dollar than a quarter. 

• Like 1

I really hope this developer has the expertise, able to source the necessary capital, and receives a substantial credit from CHI to produce a very quality MF conversion.  This building has a lottt of issues, but the opportunity is so huge for this area if they do it right.  If Chevron moves their HQ and starts construction on a new building, along with this, that'd put a lot of eyes on an area RIPE for major development.  If KBR were to move out of 601 Jefferson and that was also converted? Goosebumps

• Like 6

On 1/13/2023 at 3:46 PM, mkultra25 said:

Humble Oil Building

My dad worked in that building when it first opened. While visiting him to see the building, we went up to the top (Oooh! Ear-popping elevator!) and I got a Mold-A-Rama Humble Building. What I really wanted was a Mold-A-Rama Domed Stadium. 😡

Edited by MidCenturyMoldy
  • Like 1

I kept thinking I had heard the buzz about the photos taken by a fan of this tower from this site first, late last year. Guess not.

https://magazine.texasarchitects.org/2022/11/07/800-bell-reconsidering-an-iconic-midcentury-tower/

https://apalmanac.com/potw/check-out-the-passion-project-of-photographer-leonid-furmansky-as-he-photographs-800-bell-over-two-years-179187

https://www.ricedesignalliance.org/800bell-lf - Which briefly quotes the HAI entry on the tower to boot... 

The photographer's section on this tower: http://leonidfurmansky.com/800-bell-st-george-pierce-abel-b-pierce-and-wilson-morris-crane-anderson

Edited by ChannelTwoNews
link edited
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cloud713 said:

Any idea when a conversion is planned to start? This building will be a big part of my view this semester.

Hoping they retain the design and don’t try to reclad it like shorestein wanted to do.. wish those fins were structural enough to put glass walled balconies on.

I think it will be months before any real conversion work is done. The building needs to be gutted first, and all of the asbestos removed. I know the walls were designed to be easily moves, so that may be simpler than for other buildings.

The building has a basic floor size of 28,000+ sq ft, so it should be fairly easy to get 10-20 units per floor. I haven't seen any real diagrams of proposed layouts.

• Like 5

On 1/20/2023 at 2:43 PM, cloud713 said:

Hoping they retain the design and don’t try to reclad it like shorestein wanted to do.. 

AMEN

On 1/20/2023 at 2:43 PM, cloud713 said:

Any idea when a conversion is planned to start? 

Well, if I had to guess, the building was just sold. Seems like they’re waiting on the new legislation to pass Council (which seems in the pretty early stages), then they have to design it, then get the financing. I’d be shocked if anything visible happened within six months, but what do I know?