800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential

TheNiche

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Parker-halts-plans-to-turn-Exxon-tower-into-6529279.php

Mayor Parker is passing on moving forward into redeveloping this into a municipal courts complex.  Her statement implies that she does not wish to bind the "next administration" to this redevelopment, suggesting that she wishes redevelopment of the municipal courts complex to become an issue to be addressed by candidates prior to the next election.  This idea may not thus be completely dead, but we will have to see what the candidates say as the election approaches.

• Like 1

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Parker-halts-plans-to-turn-Exxon-tower-into-6529279.php

Mayor Parker is passing on moving forward into redeveloping this into a municipal courts complex. Her statement implies that she does not wish to bind the "next administration" to this redevelopment, suggesting that she wishes redevelopment of the municipal courts complex to become an issue to be addressed by candidates prior to the next election. This idea may not thus be completely dead, but we will have to see what the candidates say as the election approaches.

Wow... That is a huge downer...

It's a good move; if a Democrat wins and this turns out to be a costly development, Conservatives have the perfect weapon to use against "liberal spending" at the next election.

If they push forward and a Republican wins, then there's a good chance this will get cut.

That way, if a Democrat wins (likely, this is still Texas but it's also Houston), they can push forward with this in the 3 years allocated to them under their term.

It's a good move; if a Democrat wins and this turns out to be a costly development, Conservatives have the perfect weapon to use against "liberal spending" at the next election.

If they push forward and a Republican wins, then there's a good chance this will get cut.

That way, if a Democrat wins (likely, this is still Texas but it's also Houston), they can push forward with this in the 3 years allocated to them under their term.

This can't just be cut. The courts are in horrible shape. It is embarrassing and inefficient. A change must be made and this will force the hand of anyone in power.

Yeah but the hot takes we'll see during election time; "liberals push $300 million throne on taxpayers, roads remain in awful condition"

It doesn't matter that the courts are also in bad shape; Houstonians are focused more on driving and traffic and horrible road conditions. It doesn't matter that they are two separate issues; people see "$300 million boondoggle" and immediately complain about where that money could be better spent.

Btw, I'm only using roads as an example of a "bigger issue", not as an absolute.

• 2 weeks later...

What a shame. I like the renderings, but what they are destroying underneath is heartbreaking.

They aren't destroying much. I did some work a while back on this building, and it's like stepping in to a basement it's so closed in. I'm excited for the redevelopment because this building is a bit of an eyesore to the south view of downtown. 

• Like 1

They aren't destroying much. I did some work a while back on this building, and it's like stepping in to a basement it's so closed in. I'm excited for the redevelopment because this building is a bit of an eyesore to the south view of downtown.

I've never been inside, so I'm not emotionally invested with the interior. I really like the plaza redevelopment.

The exterior is a different story. Even if you don't like the building surely you can appreciate diversity in the skyline...

• Like 3

My mother worked here for 30 years.  I remember one of the security guards taking me to see the Petroleum Club and going outside to the top of the building when I was a child.  It seemed so tall!  This was the early 70's and I believe it was one of the tallest buildings in DT then.  I have mixed feelings.  Although the building is certainly among the older towers in Houston--coming before the 80's boom; it brings a bit of mid-century modern nostalgia and architectural "history" to our otherwise relatively "new" DT.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

http://swamplot.com/descend-into-the-new-tunnel-concourse-planned-beneath-the-former-exxonmobil-tower-downtown/2015-12-22/

PERMITS WERE ISSUED yesterday for construction of a new tunnel concoursebelow 800 Bell St. —  the Louisiana tunnel will be tied into the new digs planned beneath the former ExxonMobil building, at the corner of Bell and Milam downtown.
  • Like 7

It would be fantastic if they started building the sunken concourse/tunnel connection, attracting a lead tenant before renovations were started on the facade, saving the towers design AND getting the getting desired tunnel connection.. Heh.

• Like 1

I think it will look better in the same way Mickey Leeland looks better nearby. That side of downtown is a wall of plain buildings (esp from Galleria pics) and glass will probably look better IMO, I actually hope some other Leeland sized buildings (The Allen Buildings) and the empty Days Inn nearby do facade renovations too. Houston can look better both by building new and renovating old like redo on the building with the table top with round hole in the top.

The only buildings that need to be redone are anything American Liberty has put up. Stop erasing history! :) same mentality in the 70's when they were renovating historic facades to make them modern, destroying their charm in the process.

That's fine if you want glossy towers, but there are plenty of empty blocks near by. Don't you think a variety of styles is more pleasing visually?

• Like 6