800 Bell St. (Former Exxon Building) Conversion to Residential

TheNiche

Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Exxon Building, Love it or hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

That's ridiculous.. Are they worried about security issues or something?

I had a community meeting last night, many of whom are very involved with city council. The police chief has been adamant supposedly about it not functioning correctly in a high rise. Also he is outspoken how much their current situation is hindering their operations

• Like 1

I was thinking, all the old malls would be kind of cool conversions to government buildings. I mean, the bureaucrats could get a walk in, and the citizens could go to the ABCs of Government as a one-stop shop for all the services they need, DMV, WIC, Social Security, VA, etc.

Wouldn't the Police like a Northline Mall type place for example?

This is already a thing.  Close to home, many of the Brazoria County offices are in what was once a Walmart.

• Like 1

I think a block away in downtown might as well be a mile. This thing is far enough from the residentials.

Then again, Exxon is surrounded on about 7 sides by empty or partially empty blocks. Residential could almost encircle it.

I would however be more concerned with the residential on San Jacinto and St Joseph being so close to the sketchy activity under pierce and south of that.

There are three new residential projects that will be within a block or two of this development (Skyhouse 1 & 2, and Alliance). I don't know, I just don't find courthouses to be helpful to growth.

Right

Ok, so it's speeding tickets, parking tickets, noise ordinance violations, and maybe a business license issue or two.

I guess I don't share the prior poster's view that this would be detrimental to the potential residential neighborhood that should be coming to the area. This is especially true if one considers that there will be about a billion cops coming and going constantly, 24 hours a day. That would actually make the entire area even more safe than it already is.

Market square is only a few blocks from the current (state and federal?) court complex downtown. Where the accused murderers and rapists and druggies and robbers head to trial. Market square seems to be doing just fine from a residential point of view and it doesn't seem to be affecting the whole "quality hill" area which is just to the east near minute maid......

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 2

Right? The police presence will make it way safer than that area ever was. All the homeless will go running back to midtown (we really need to figure out a solution for them). Seriously.. If the city moves into this property its a win win for everyone here at HAIF. 800 Bell is saved, a huge vacant space is taken off the market, and the Justice a Complex would likely be up for redevelopment..

• Like 3

While having access to mass transit is generally A Good Thing, I don't think it's much of a factor with the municipal courts.  The overwhelming majority of what they do is traffic offenses, with the occasional slime in the ice machine ticket thrown in for grins.

While having access to mass transit is generally A Good Thing, I don't think it's much of a factor with the municipal courts.  The overwhelming majority of what they do is traffic offenses, with the occasional slime in the ice machine ticket thrown in for grins.

Mass transit or no, a central location would be appreciated by prospective jurors that otherwise have to schlep a three hour round trip out to (damned near) Alief and back to Kingwood. I could have served jury duty in Lufkin with a shorter overall time commitment.

Not that I'm bitter about the whole annexation thing.

• Like 1

While having access to mass transit is generally A Good Thing, I don't think it's much of a factor with the municipal courts. The overwhelming majority of what they do is traffic offenses, with the occasional slime in the ice machine ticket thrown in for grins.

Worn parking being a b.... for many, being in a centralized location with many transit options is a major factor.

With many buildings being added constantly, simply adding spaces isn't reasonable

• 2 weeks later...

One would think selling off the current, valuable property west of Downtown would offset a large portion of the costs of a move to the Exxon building. I thought that was a given assumption. Surely the market value of that piece of land would be considered for the financial viability of a move to 800 Bell.

Selling the property will increase tax revenue as it puts land back on the tax rolls. The numbers from the above referenced article come in short of $900M over the estimated 30 year lease--significantly lower than the estimated $1B+ cost to rebuild on the current property. Seems like a no brainer to me.

• Like 1

Let's keep in mind that if we were really doing an actual comparison, there is a third alternative: purpose build and lease.

The city is doing the classic: "it will cost us a billion in taxes to build a new facility or we can lease an existing building that the cops don't like downtown." It is a bit of a strong arm tactic and really not an economic analysis.

To do a solid analysis, the city should get quotes from a developer to build exactly the structure(s) that it needs need from scratch and enter into a 30 year lease with him/her.

Now you can compare door number 1 with door number 2 and door number 3.

But, I really don't think that the Mayor's current proposal is about finances. It's about politics.

To do a solid analysis, the city should get quotes from a developer to build exactly the structure(s) that it needs need from scratch and enter into a 30 year lease with him/her.

the city is already evaluating options for a purpose built facility lease back.  In this case it is a PPP (public private partnership).  Skanska along with a few other firms have proposals in to the city.

• Like 1

i think it might be considered Class B due to lack of tunnel/skybridge connection? but yeah. the vacancy is a HUGE point that can't be overlooked.. and the tower is 1.2 million sq ft. not 800k. the city taking over this building would be a huge boon for most of us HAIFers. as i pointed out before, 1.2 million sq ft off the market, so hopefully some new towers could go forward. 18 acres right across 45 from downtown that could be up for redevelopment or turned into additional Buffalo Bayou park land. and last but not least, this iconic mid century modern design would be saved.

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...