Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

I went to the event yesterday and was blown away by the plans. I hope they upload the renderings soon, but, essentially, they are treating this as Houston's "Central Park." The amenities the newly-redone park will have combined with the expanded and dedicated wilderness areas will create a truly beautiful, usable park.

In short, there will be:

- at least 2 opportunities for restaurants/cafes

- a formal dog park with a small pond for the dogs

- another pond for kids and people who casually want to interact with the water

- new wetlands

- thousands of new native trees

- the removal of exotic-species plants

- a sizable budget for ongoing maintenance of the bayou and its surroundings

- 2 concert venues, dozens of art spaces

- dozens of canoe launch sites and rentals

- new trails including different types of trails through different parts of the park

- better connection to the surrounding communities

- 3 new pedestrian bridges, etc.

I went to the event yesterday and was blown away by the plans. I hope they upload the renderings soon, but, essentially, they are treating this as Houston's "Central Park." The amenities the newly-redone park will have combined with the expanded and dedicated wilderness areas will create a truly beautiful, usable park.

This is great that people are excited, now hopefully those who who are enthused by this will help promote and raise funds for the stretch from UHD to the Lockwood bridge. It only took San Antonio a few dozen years to realize their viable waterway/waterfront actually stretched past the tourist zone of downtown, south to the missions. We can do better.

• Like 2

Swamplot has details and pretty renderings.

http://swamplot.com/...te+Landscape%29

Very ambitious plans include:

3 new pedestrian bridges (Shepherd, Jackson Hill, Police Memorial)

A small Lake near Dunlavy and Allen Pkwy

Detailed/Large map can be found here, courtesy of the Buffalo Bayou Partnership.

EDIT: Ambitious.. but seems a lot more doable than their previous plan which included getting rid of the cloverleaf and adding numerous small lakes and boat launches there. They already have half the money raised for this project. Scheduled completion: 2015.

Edited by Highway6

• 3 months later...

Here's an article posted by the folks over at Swamplot today - http://swamplot.com/...vie/2012-02-10/ - regarding the area-wide interconnected bayou plan being proposed.

It includes this video...

By clicking on the 'vimeo' link at the bottom-right of the media player above, it'll take you to the Vimeo site itself with that video. In the suggested links, there are other videos for other cities in the country (e.g., Atlanta, Cleveland).

Edited by Simbha

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to follow this thread, apologies if this has already been answered...

Has this been approved? Funding secured?

Is the work that is going on now part of this master plan? They have been repaving sidewalks and have signage of bike trails closed (though everyone just rides around them).

• 2 weeks later...

I was out running the dog today, and ran in to a group of 6 that appeared to be surveying and taking pictures. When I asked one of them what they were doing, he said "trying to save trees". Talked to another guy, he said they were from the City of Houston and the Parks Department, and confirmed that they were working on the Buffalo Bayou Master Plan. He described the new pathways, dog park, lakes, and stage.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

rode my bike through all sorts of new construction along the bayou this weekend and it was SWEET (and hot as hell!)... and that's just the trails. they've been busy working on all sorts of new trails from shepherd all the way to downtown. they still have a ways to go but we're beginning to see the first signs of the master plan fall into place. this may be my single favorite project in the city.

• 3 months later...

Many of the trails are repaved, its looking good and being utilized heavily.

I saw some construction on the bayou by downtown, not sure if its part of the Master Plan (they don't show anything east of the Sabine Street bridge in an renderings I've seen). It appears they are building some sort of bridge or structure at bayou level, very close to where Capitol/Rusk/45 goes over the bayou. I didn't have my phone on me but next time I'll take a pic.

Anyone know what's going on over there?

Many of the trails are repaved, its looking good and being utilized heavily.

I saw some construction on the bayou by downtown, not sure if its part of the Master Plan (they don't show anything east of the Sabine Street bridge in an renderings I've seen). It appears they are building some sort of bridge or structure at bayou level, very close to where Capitol/Rusk/45 goes over the bayou. I didn't have my phone on me but next time I'll take a pic.

Anyone know what's going on over there?

There is already a bike/pedestrian bridge nearby. I'd be surprised if they were building a second so close.

http://goo.gl/maps/gSLKz

What'd be nice is a separate bridge near UH to connect the Heights Bike Trail to downtown, but I don't see anything in the plan. Right now, you have to use Main, which is under construction, or cut over to Milam (high-speed I-10 freeway exit) or Fannin.

http://goo.gl/maps/qw7b9

honestly it almost looked like they were building a dam. I have no idea what it was, but it is at the water level, not like the bike/ped bridge just south. and it appeared to be a pretty big project.

agree on the UH Downtown area. Or at the least i hope they build a good way to even get to the north side of the trail. Right now i cut over to Travis and go on the sidewalk (since its one way the wrong way). Even when Main is done that's not a great way on a bike.

rode by today along the north side of buffalo bayou, the construction i was referring to is between Capitol and Rusk. snapped some pics:

IMG_20121012_120923.jpg

IMG_20121012_120951.jpg

IMG_20121012_121130.jpg

The last pic is looking up from the north bank (facing NW), you can see the edge of the Capitol bridge on the top right.

Is this going to be a vehicle bridge? Doesn't make any sense...

rode by today along the north side of buffalo bayou, the construction i was referring to is between Capitol and Rusk. snapped some pics:

IMG_20121012_120923.jpg

IMG_20121012_120951.jpg

IMG_20121012_121130.jpg

The last pic is looking up from the north bank (facing NW), you can see the edge of the Capitol bridge on the top right.

Is this going to be a vehicle bridge? Doesn't make any sense...

It's a light rail bridge.

• 2 months later...

Does this new PDF show any new features? http://www.buffalobayou.org/documents/BuffaloBayoupark.pdf it has a new rendering that i have never seen

Page 4 of this PDF has a cool new rendering too

http://www.buffalobayou.org/documents/FINALNovember_December2012BuffaloBayouPark-IntheWorksConstructionE-News.pdf

Edited by lockmat

• 7 months later...