Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

I happen to talk to a guy associated with this project and has told me that they plan on breaking ground by the end of the year.

Well it's good this seems like a go still, but maybe the 3q start estimate isn't realistic anymore?

The time between soil samples and ground breaking seems to run in to many months. Q4 does not seem unreasonable given that we saw those guys on the site only a month or so ago. Why they cleared off the parking lot is anyone's guess. 

The Marriott Marquis had the soil sample trucks doing their thing well more than a year prior to ground breaking. Ditto Hess and the tower apartments across from Finger's ballpark place. 

The time between soil samples and ground breaking seems to run in to many months. Q4 does not seem unreasonable given that we saw those guys on the site only a month or so ago. Why they cleared off the parking lot is anyone's guess. 

The Marriott Marquis had the soil sample trucks doing their thing well more than a year prior to ground breaking. Ditto Hess and the tower apartments across from Finger's ballpark place. 

Right, but hadn't we also seen them doing soil samples here last year? And they did give a Q2 estimate IIRC. I'm guessing they must have run into unforeseen problems with the soil. Ho hum.

Patience please. Hines is very solid and I don't think they wouldput so much work into a project and make an announcement unless they were going to build. Just give them time to get it right. Remember the old saying measure twice cut once.

• Like 1

this project isn't being "delayed" bc of "soil samples." Hines is meticulous in its project development. believe it or not, in a highly competitive market with constantly increasing costs a good (or in this case great) developer, particularly when working with sophisitcated equity partners, is constantly working and reworking aspects of the development to make sure their projections remain accurate.

• Like 2

Right, but hadn't we also seen them doing soil samples here last year? And they did give a Q2 estimate IIRC. I'm guessing they must have run into unforeseen problems with the soil. Ho hum.

Relax everyone!  What a bunch of nervous nellies we have around here.  ;-)

Pretty sure the earlier start date we've been given was 3rd Q 2014. 

FWIW, the cryptic "by the end of the year" rumor that set off this latest round of hand-wringing is sufficiently vague that it could very well be a 3rd quarter start. 

• Like 2

Just excited to see this one start. The typing expended on commenting on my "hand-wringing" has exceeded the hand-wringing itself.

don't get too full of yourself.  ;-)   it wasn't just your hand-wringing to which I was referring.

Regardless, my main point was to correct the record regarding the projected start date.

Edited by Houston19514

don't get too full of yourself.  ;-)   it wasn't just your hand-wringing to which I was referring.

Regardless, my main point was to correct the record regarding the projected start date.

Just mine that you quoted, but that's cool. It wasn't just your comment to which I was referring. ;-)

so I am being told to remain calm, and let the master work..? Patience is a virtue? Don't sweat the small stuff? Take a chill pill? Whatever will be, will be? Good things come to those who wait? Slow and steady wins the race?

• Like 1

Not that I recall, but I might have missed an earlier round of things. 

The planning and logistics of a project of this scope would be interesting to see the particulars of, but I'm sure they don't want to set that train in motion until they have as much of it locked down as they absolutely can. We'll see. The proposal next to the garage across Milam from the park seems like more of a long shot. With Hines on this one, I'm not so worried. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The proposal next to the garage across Milam from the park seems like more of a long shot. With Hines on this one, I'm not so worried.

Nothing against you Nate, I just thought this line was humorous considering the way things have played out. Funny how things work. Who knows.. Maybe in another month or two International Tower and/or 5AC will get out of the gate and beat some of these more "assured" towers like Capital Tower and 6HC to the punch. Doubtful, but I was like you, doubting Market Square Tower would be built before this one..

Nothing against you Nate, I just thought this line was humorous considering the way things have played out. Funny how things work. Who knows.. Maybe in another month or two International Tower and/or 5AC will get out of the gate and beat some of these more "assured" towers like Capital Tower and 6HC to the punch. Doubtful, but I was like you, doubting Market Square Tower would be built before this one..

Goes to show how much I know. We never did see soil samples on the other one, but off they go.

Still waiting for any progress apart from soil sampling on this one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is just a bump. 

I'm really eager to hear more details about this project.  It just feels like a catalyst for downtown in so many ways:

1.  vast improvement to the street scape around Market Square and Main St.

2.  More residents to downtown

3. Along with the new highrise going up on the other side of the park (plus the existing condos/Rice lofts close by) and new bars and restuarants, this could actually feel like a real urban neighborhood

4.  Hines committing to build residential in downtown sends a strong signal to the marketplace.........which hopefully means more growth and more stability going forward

• Like 2

I Agree that residential is a must for downtown, not just for a sense of aliveness but for the music bar scene as well..A bar owner being interviewed by the chronicle a few months back made a great point of saying 70% of most bars and restaurants business are from local business people who live in that neighborhood.. So if the new bars and venues are to survive it will hinge on a larger downtown population..people that can sustain them long after the hispters have found a new hot spot.

I posted a few pictures in the other Marketsquare develpoement and felt the Hines project should get some attention too. The picture shows today August 8th. Note that this is the first time I've seen a vehicle on the site since the soil sample work.

post-13371-0-55960200-1407510344_thumb.j

• Like 4

Is that a fence or just bushes?

There is a fence blocking the driveway but the rest is bushes. The two cars in the driveway are I believe Frank's Pizza employee's since the same two are there everyday almost. There is one truck and one work van on the property itself. Pedestrians have been using the lot as a cut from Main since it is not completely fenced.

• Like 1

Cool post, Triton, even though that particular view of the skyline is pretty much certain to never occur - at a minimum, it omits the Marriott Marquis, the 40 story building across Market Square, and perhaps even 6HC.

• Like 1