Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

I just spoke with the guy operating the excavator, and he confirmed that the digging is for a patio for franks (i.e. beer garden). This is good news and bad news. I love the idea of a beer garden, but it would be great to see the tower construction begin.

So this new luxury property is going to share a property line with a noisy outdoor beer garden?

Many would not have a problem with this but I would not rent on a low floor on that side of the building. Too noisy for me.

You'd be suprised, I lived on the 19th floor in Houston House for years, and I could hear people coughing at the bus stop down below.

Yep.

I was in a New York City hotel a bit ago on a floor in the high-teens as I recall. Outdoor patio below (confined by 4 walls ... 1 my tall hotel wall.... 3 other less than 4 stories each). I could hear all the hootin' and hollerin' from about 10 total people as if they were standing at my window.

Noise is part of city life. That is true. And if you live in the city you must be somewhat tolerant of that fact.... But, as I said, many will not find this outdoor beer garden a noise issue, many others, including myself, would pass on a place on a lower floor that overlooked it.

Does anyone know if there will also be amplified music piped into this beer garden or will it just be for seating only?

When I ran Cabo's at night downtown, when it first opened Randall Davis would come over to complain that his tenants were complaining about the trash being thrown out late at night. Lots of beer and liquor bottles hitting those metal dumpsters make a lot of noise. I would imagine that these new towers will have better windows for sound absorption. I think I might have made that word up but I'm sticking with it. Also I'll mention it again , I did get a call from hines office yesterday. I had called to find out from them about this project. The guy called back and said it was a definite go. They just got final drawings and now have a contractor. My brother lives next to a hines exec and I asked him to ask about their projects. He said that both the Market Square and Caroline museum district towers would be going up before December.

• Like 4

Yep.

I was in a New York City hotel a bit ago on a floor in the high-teens as I recall. Outdoor patio below (confined by 4 walls ... 1 my tall hotel wall.... 3 other less than 4 stories each). I could hear all the hootin' and hollerin' from about 10 total people as if they were standing at my window.

Noise is part of city life. That is true. And if you live in the city you must be somewhat tolerant of that fact.... But, as I said, many will not find this outdoor beer garden a noise issue, many others, including myself, would pass on a place on a lower floor that overlooked it.

Does anyone know if there will also be amplified music piped into this beer garden or will it just be for seating only?

You'd be suprised, I lived on the 19th floor in Houston House for years, and I could hear people coughing at the bus stop down below.

They might be able to install dampening, but that sound is going to reverberate quite a bit off the concrete walls and ground.  It will be really bad for residents if they allow live music.

They might be able to install dampening, but that sound is going to reverberate quite a bit off the concrete walls and ground.  It will be really bad for residents if they allow live music.

Doesn't seem like a large enough space for live music, but that magician may get a little rowdy. Market Square Park has live music occasionally.

A garden immediately next to an active construction site sounds like a pretty poor place to enjoy a beer.

Unless you're an HAIFer.

• Like 4

A garden immediately next to an active construction site sounds like a pretty poor place to enjoy a beer. Frank must be taking the long view on this one.

indeed, it could be a haifer hangout. I think it might be a great place after the construction is done.

The excavator that was digging at Franks has broken ground in the middle of the lot (it also appears that they took down the pay station). I spoke with the excavator operator the other day, and he said that Cherry (the company) was going to excavate both lots. Maybe they are ready to move on this project too?

• Like 1

Difficult to tell exactly what they are digging out. It certainly does not look like a systematic clearing of the entre lot at this point, but it may be.

But I'll play wild speculation anyway. I suppose it is possible that they are going after particular old foundations under the parking lot pavement, but that is nothing but a barely supported guess based on the huge number of sample holes I saw drilled in the lot a while back.

In any case, they have not taken down the power line feed to the pole in th center of the lot yet.  The lot is not yet fenced, but looking at it this morning, it looks like they filled in the holes that were dug up yesterday.

Maybe that supports my pre-build planning archaeology theory.

Edited by Nate99

I was wondering the same thing, since they're basically using a hedgerow and caution tape as barriers.  Makes me think they are just clearing the lot now due to the fact that they happen to have someone with an excavator next door.

If I'm viewing the picture accurately, there is no fence surrounding the property. Could there be a liability issue as per the excavation?

• Like 1