Holiday Inn Hotel At 1616 Main St.

jdbaker

More info:

In the negotiations, the authority will see if the owner, HDT Hotel, would consider selling it a small piece of vacant land next to the hotel for the public to use, said Bob Eury, the authority's executive director.

"We'd like to have more public space, especially with more residents coming into downtown," he said.

Indeed, several new projects are underway in this once-quiet section of the city's core.

The redevelopment authority would like to create a public amenity on that original site. If the owner would consider selling it, the authority would ask for a right of first refusal to buy the property, which is only about the size of a single lot, perhaps 5,000 square feet, Eury said.

Renovations have already started on the building, which is expected to have 212 hotel rooms. A restaurant is proposed, too.

The owner pegs the renovation cost at about $17 million, according to an application requesting funding.

"They said they experienced cost overruns on it," Eury said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/City-may-help-with-Savoy-s-rebirth-5308908.php?cmpid=btfpm#/8

• Like 1

Is this a poorly managed project or what?

In my experience, renovations and remodels invariably have all sorts of surprises, most of which end up costing money.  Lots and lots of money.  

There are two ways of dealing with it:  Handle the problems on the fly and hope that the contingency reserve that you thought was huge when you set it up is adequate (this is what usually happens in a commercial context, since time = money), or do a thorough gut and survey before preparing the plans for going forward (example:  the 1910 courthouse).

(edit:  spelling fixed)

Edited by mollusk

• 2 weeks later...

Painting the north side. It looks great and I really like it! I actually think this will turn out better than most people are thinking. I wasn't able to get a photo of it on my bicycle but they are actually covering the brick in this beige material (stucco? I don't know). 

13634133883_c9fddf65c3_c.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

wow!  are we serious?  so they plan to remove all of that excess upon the roof away, and then install a "stone" skirting?  simply beautiful, should it hold up.  management, obviously has more capital as per renovations, than previously thought.  props, as always, for sharing urbannizer.