2 hours ago, Triton said:

Interesting indeed. As someone who bikes downtown quite frequently, I thought I could bike the sidewalks under a certain speed. If it's illegal to bike downtown on the sidewalks, the police certainly don't enforce it and I've certainly seen police officers riding bikes on the sidewalks too. Edit: Not that it makes it right. Really thought it was legal.

I got "pulled over" on my bike riding on the sidewalk downtown once - was sternly told it was illegal !!  I was going up Main St in the section where there aren't any car lanes, just the light rail - guess I was supposed to go around the block !!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, HoustonMidtown said:

I got "pulled over" on my bike riding on the sidewalk downtown once - was sternly told it was illegal !!  I was going up Main St in the section where there aren't any car lanes, just the light rail - guess I was supposed to go around the block !!

Is it really a sidewalk if there is no street? I mean, a sidewalk (where defined by the city) is:

Sidewalk shall mean that portion of the public street which is between the curblines, or the lateral lines of a roadway, and the adjacent property lines and which is improved and designed for or is ordinarily used for pedestrian travel.

I found that in section 40-10.1 (sidewalk cafe), but they define sidewalk there. There is no definition of sidewalk in section 45-302 (the section regarding riding on a sidewalk in a business district).

Non-legal versions of the definition of a sidewalk include a street as well.

Anyway, skinniest 6' sidewalks I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

http://houston.novusagenda.com/agendapublic/CoverSheet.aspx?ItemID=9795&MeetingID=201

The Housing and Community Development Department (HCDD) recommends Council approve an amendment to the loan agreement executed December 23, 2014, between the City of Houston and HY FS LLC for the construction of Residences at Hardy Yards, a mixed-income affordable housing development located at North Main and Burnett Streets in the Near Northside neighborhood.  The original loan agreement is a zero percent performance-based loan that is forgivable at the end of the ten-year affordability period if no default exists.  The amendment will allow for a $4,700,000 increase to the original $14,500,000 commitment in order to fund additional costs related to the development.   

The development has a total of 350 units, including 179 (51%) affordable and 171 market-rate one- and two-bedroom units, and is part of a comprehensive, mixed-use redevelopment of the Hardy Rail Yard site.  The development is scheduled to be completed during spring of 2018 and is located near the University of Houston Downtown campus and another Disaster Recovery Round 2 affordable housing development, Avenue Station. 

The additional monies will fund a gap that has been created primarily due to a rise in construction costs.  Prior to construction, the developer conducted vast research and spent a considerable amount of time studying construction pricing in the market in order to create the development budget.  Based on this data, construction costs were estimated to be approximately $130/SF for the project.  However, as of 3rd quarter 2016, construction costs have increased to approximately $145 to $150/SF. HCDD recommends Council approve the additional funds as this development will provide for needed quality affordable housing in the Near Northside community.  The overage will be funded through unallocated CDBG - Disaster Recovery 2 funds.

AHG Properties LLC, an affiliated company of the Zieben Group (Lee Zieben), which has previously done business with the City, has formed a partnership with Houston Housing Finance Corporation to undertake this transit-oriented development. 

In exchange for this additional financing, the affordability period will be extended from 10 years to 30 years.  Also, the owner has agreed to less stringent underwriting criteria as it pertains to sources of income for up to 18 units.    

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, this is a surprise (to me). TxDOT is planning to get the downtown I-45 cluster**** started by 2020/21, which will run the freeway right between UHD and Hardy Yards. I never expected that to happen at all, tbh. That's going to bite for the value of any skyline-view residential units that will now have a massive freeway right outside their windows. Do you think this will force a change in the layout we've seen?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kinglyam said:

Well, this is a surprise (to me). TxDOT is planning to get the downtown I-45 cluster**** started by 2020/21, which will run the freeway right between UHD and Hardy Yards. I never expected that to happen at all, tbh. That's going to bite for the value of any skyline-view residential units that will now have a massive freeway right outside their windows. Do you think this will force a change in the layout we've seen?

Wow, that is a surprise.

• Like 1

I can see it in my mind Timoric, a less than 1 mile stretch of land with freeway removed, and purchased by developers so they can make tons of money, meanwhile, the bus terminals, and homeless outreach centers aren't going to move, so it'll be just as unfriendly as current. Yet on the east side the freeway is going to go from spanning 220 feet wide to spanning 550 feet wide for ~1.5 miles, and local level access to downtown is going to be reduced by about 25%, 19 city blocks with existing businesses are going to be taken, and an entire community will be wiped out. Then on the north side the freeway, rather than being sunken into the ground as current, it will be flying through the sky at over 60 feet high right by Hardy Yards. And if you look at how things are currently on the west side of downtown at buffalo bayou, it's pretty much unchanged.

hope that helps.

• Like 1