I know nothing of a hurricane relief project.

"Cypress got hurricane relief funds to have mixed income units as part of their hardy yards development. They are shutting down the Hernandez Tunnel this month to have Burnet connect to North Main." 

I thought all the activity right now was related to the tunnel project...

That's the million dollar question. The activity I posted today is not near the tunnel but oddly enough, it could somehow be related to it. Perhaps they are laying pipe to the tunnel.... I'm just not sure. But with the creation of this residential website, there appears to be something on the horizon for the property.

• 3 weeks later...

15788931185_cc807265d6_h.jpg

Hardy Yards by marclongoria, on Flickr

This giant steel structure (dark in the right of center) that I took a photo of a while back is nearly gone now. They have been tearing it down for about a week now. It is located on the southern edge of the property.

Edited by Triton
  • Like 2

Will these apartments be the first phase of the whole project, or is the whole project dead?

I think your answer is in this excerpt:

"part of a comprehensive, mixed-use redevelopment of the hardy yards rail site"

Would be nice if we could see the master plan though... 

Residence at Hardy Yards (Burnett St and North Main). This appears to not be infrastructure related here but the layout of a multi-family complex. 

Also, it may be difficult to see, but there are also working on the southern end of the lot (look directly to the left side of that large grey warehouse). There are several cranes over there.

16074104425_0b7c315bc4_h.jpg

15886824370_b71161033a_h.jpg

This may be infrastructure related though....? I believe this is the dirt from the tunnel area.

15888334227_82cf4915eb_h.jpg

• Like 5

This is probably the one project where my expectations are extremely low. The fact that the there hasn't been some big announcement about the entire site nor do we know what it will look like or who is designing it makes me speculate that it's simply going to be divided up and pieced out to whoever can get it. It's a golden opportunity wasted. I wouldn't be surprised it is a few small apartment buildings and they call it a day, or a couple wraps with some parking garages attached. I almost certain from the lack of transparency and lack of endorsement that this won't be some comprehensive master planned district or multi-use community. sigh...

• Like 4

This is probably the one project where my expectations are extremely low. The fact that the there hasn't been some big announcement about the entire site nor do we know what it will look like or who is designing it makes me speculate that it's simply going to be divided up and pieced out to whoever can get it. It's a golden opportunity wasted. I wouldn't be surprised it is a few small apartment buildings and they call it a day, or a couple wraps with some parking garages attached. I almost certain from the lack of transparency and lack of endorsement that this won't be some comprehensive master planned district or multi-use community. sigh...

After such a long period of dormancy for this site, any work is encouraging. I prefer to take the stance that they simply aren't counting chickens before the eggs hatch.

http://swamplot.com/part-of-old-hardy-rail-yard-to-become-a-mostly-affordable-near-northside-apartment-complex/2014-12-23/

http://residencesathardyyards.com/

"Earlier this month City Council approved a performance-based loan of $14,500,000 in federal hurricane relief money to the Houston and Financing Corporation-created entity HY FS LLC to build a 350-residential unit development on part of the 49-acre recently guerrilla-gardened property.

One condition of the loan: that 179 of the total of 350 one- and 2-bedroom units be affordable:"

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 2