39 minutes ago, arbpro said:

You are in error. The school has long wanted a medical school. When the idea was finally facing fruition, the University considered all options, including the TMC. When it was decided that the focus would be on primary care for an underserved area, the TMC option was no longer viable. The school then proceeded with its business plan idea which had the side benefit of allowing the medical school to be near the main campus. Apparently you think that was a bad idea. What you are really saying is that you think having a medical school dedicated to primary care in a need location is a bad idea. 

3 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

The UH administration also thought it would be better if the med school was located on campus so that there could be a collaboration with other colleges on campus. Also by building the med school on campus, it assists in the accreditation of the whole UH main campus as one and especially towards more tier 1 and academic awards.

3 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

Edited by cougarpad

You guys are unbelievable. One, I'm not against UH getting a medical school, I'm a proud alum, so let's get that out of the way. But I'll clue you in on why the Texas Medical Center became the juggernaut that its become. Its because its land locked. All the member institutions had no choice but to build next to each other and that critical mass of sharing, exchanging, pooling of employees, physicians, scientists is why the TMC is so great. Really, others have tried to replicate it but without success. Do you think the Debakey/Cooley rivalry could have occurred if they were opposite sides of town, for example? Maybe, but it sure didn't hurt them being right next to each other. It would have been much better to have the medical school participate in this. That's all I'm saying. But there was a lot of back room politics to get the state to approve the school, so who knows, maybe locating it in an "underserved" area that several posters point out is just minutes form the TMC (where you can get as much underserved patients as you want, I'm looking at you Ben Taub), was the only way for UT the state allow it. 

While that sounds great, I think it is great that UH is building the medical school on campus to increase the perspective of UH as a medical college. Texas A&M, Baylor and UT have longevity. UH can attain similar status maybe but it is not quite there yet. Let’s build up our medical program on campus and then expand to TMC later on and more community involvement with the university in the 3rd ward is always a positive thing.

Also these other colleges have a ton of more money than UH. Land is cheaper in 3rd ward.

Edited by ZRFkris
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, texas911 said:

You guys are unbelievable. One, I'm not against UH getting a medical school, I'm a proud alum, so let's get that out of the way. But I'll clue you in on why the Texas Medical Center became the juggernaut that its become. Its because its land locked. All the member institutions had no choice but to build next to each other and that critical mass of sharing, exchanging, pooling of employees, physicians, scientists is why the TMC is so great. Really, others have tried to replicate it but without success. Do you think the Debakey/Cooley rivalry could have occurred if they were opposite sides of town, for example? Maybe, but it sure didn't hurt them being right next to each other. It would have been much better to have the medical school participate in this. That's all I'm saying. But there was a lot of back room politics to get the state to approve the school, so who knows, maybe locating it in an "underserved" area that several posters point out is just minutes form the TMC (where you can get as much underserved patients as you want, I'm looking at you Ben Taub), was the only way for UT the state allow it. 

I worked at TMC for 22 years. One advantage the UH Med School will most likely have in its location, is much better parking. Parking at TMC is expensive and if your  cheapskate like me, a long walk.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, hindesky said:

Quad. Parking garage is open.

bXtssNV.jpg

It's a shame they knocked down the old quads instead of renovating them. This new building looks pretty soul-less and generic and isn't going to age well. From the sounds of it, they're going to make the same mistake with Moody.

Edited by htine
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Texasota said:

Are you suggesting that school resources should be distributed based on which students are likely to be the best earners? At a public school? Cause that's pretty messed up.

Yea because they can fund raise better than any other college at UH! You realize that's how it works right? What's the most expensive buildings on campus? The stadium? How do you think they paid for it?

13 hours ago, Texasota said:

Are you suggesting that school resources should be distributed based on which students are likely to be the best earners? At a public school? Cause that's pretty messed up.

donations can be tipped to go wherever the person doing the donating stipulates.

if I were a law student alum, and I had ambulance chasing money, I'd donate a few million to get my name on the building and also to get a better looking building.

The Samagon Law Building. it would be a mix of Gaudi and the Disney Music Hall.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, samagon said:

donations can be tipped to go wherever the person doing the donating stipulates.

if I were a law student alum, and I had ambulance chasing money, I'd donate a few million to get my name on the building and also to get a better looking building.

The Samagon Law Building. it would be a mix of Gaudi and the Disney Music Hall.

I know you're half joking but the playing field at the football stadium is named after a UH Law graduate. He passed away or he'd probably be giving a lead gift for the new Law Building.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

University of Houston to kick off another renovation project 

laura-gillespie-1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Laura Gillespie  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal 
7 hours ago

The University of Houston’s Graduate College of Social Work is undergoing a $3.9 million renovation. 

The improvements will redo the entire first floor of the GCSW building, creating a new lobby and new entry pavilion, a press release said. The new lobby will have lounge and table seating surrounding a display wall and interactive installations. Classrooms will be rebuilt with new configurations, acoustics and technology. The new pavilion will brighten up the current façade, highlighting the building’s main entrance and providing a student common area. 

Houston-based RDLR Architects is servings as the architect and designer of record, while Kitchell Contractors Inc., which has a Houston office, is the builder. 

The project is being paid for in part by donations from five Houston-area foundations and individuals, the release stated, including $1.25 million from the Mehta Family Foundation and $1 million from the Houston Endowment. Other donors include the Hamill Foundation, Frees Foundation and the Creuzot family. The community pavilion will be named after the Mehta Family Foundation. 

“Being part of a learning environment where you feel valued and supported is critical to student success, and the physical space in which our students learn is an important component of that,” Alan Dettlaff, dean of the GCSW, said in a press release. “I’m incredibly grateful to our generous donors for recognizing our students' value and trusting us to create the learning environment they deserve.”

The project will break ground on Oct. 3. It’s expected to be completed by spring 2021. 

The new GCSW is far from the only project UH is working on. In March, the university announced it was doing a $30.4 million expansion of the on-campus hotel, adding a five-story tower with 71 new guest rooms as well as revamping the hotel’s current rooms, courtyard, lobby and public spaces. UH anticipates wrapping up the project by late 2022 or early 2023.

In 2018, the university approved a $100 million renovation project, which will upgrade interiors, technology infrastructure and energy efficiency of six buildings on the main campus that hold a number of classrooms, labs, faculty offices and department headquarters for the natural sciences and liberal arts colleges.

The $100 million renovation project at the main campus will be funded through Higher Education Assistance Funds the university receives from the state for acquiring, constructing or improving tangible assets. The university expects to finish the renovations by winter 2024.

• Like 5

Can anyone find that schematic of the project?

University of Houston System Chancellor Renu Khator, left, is joined by Harris County Precinct One Commissioner Rodney Ellis, left, and Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner to perform a ground breaking ceremony on Cullen Boulevard on Monday, Oct. 21, 2019, in Houston. The Cullen Boulevard Construction Project is a joint project between the city, county and the university. The project will improve safety, mobility and drainage along the university corridor around UH and Texas Southern University.

Local officials are putting one of the main streets to the University of Houston athletic facilities on a road diet, in the hopes that cutting down room for cars on Cullen Boulevard is better for campus and commuter life.

Harris County, Houston and UH are contributing to the project along Cullen from Interstate 45 to North MacGregor, narrowing the street to one lane in each direction south of Holman with a continual center turn lane. Along with drainage improvements that come from widening pipes below the street, crews will add 12-foot shared-use paths on each side of the street for pedestrians and bicyclists.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Project-to-cut-vehicle-lanes-add-space-for-14551230.php#photo-18477959

• Like 8

23 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

Source: http://www.uh.edu/facilities-planning-construction/fpc-projects/spotlight/cullen-transformation-project.php 

Lots of details on this web-page, especially on the picture front  

fact-sheet-image.png.5fabe3b6b79d6e787802c1ea236ff955.png

this is particularly awesome. wish they'd do the same to Calhoun Road. It's ridiculously wide for the amount of traffic that uses it.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...