Office Tower At 1111 Travis St.

burgower4

I've taken the train for that ride solely to avoid that block. But it seems like people are starting to hang out in the parking lot across from bell station now

I know exactly what you're talking about. I get off at the stop everyday for the last year and the number has slowly continued to build. I think it's because on both sides of the street there is two benches and a public water fountain. It's the perfect place to post up if you have no where else to go. I guess it just took sometime for all of them to realize there was two water fountains there. 

On another note has anyone noticed how the number of homeless has increased dramatically across the street from Memorial Herman, there must be at least 40+ that hang around that statue.    

i noticed all those homeless hanging around that statue in Hermann Park/by the Zoo/across from Memorial Hermann too. what gives? there aren't any homeless services down there that i know of..?

There was, at one point, a church that operated a soup kitchen diagonally across the intersection rom Hermann. At certain times there was a huge crowd.

It's not a problem that is easily solved. There are indeed different circumstances that get people in that condition, so long as we can provide people with the basic to survive, no matter their ability to pay, I think we are doing all we can. There is only so much you can do for people that have lost the ability to function as a member of society.

Their numbers are definitely way up DT though.

• Like 2

Only if you experience symptoms of acrophobia. But yeah, word of the day goes to you

Oh no no, mollusk picked it, I just want the whose line is it anyways variety of points for using it. 

And I don't have acrophobia, but clearly, some of our other viewers do. The skylounge is dangerous, l'appel du vide. :) 

I'm sorry but what is slick about this buildimg? That theres a curve to the building? Sorry not trying to be rude but we in Houston have set our standards so low.

This building looks like its from the 1970s

How many curved buildings do we get? Not a lot. And yes, our standards are very low. I don't get the 70's vibe, although a lot of the contemporary buildings these days do have resemblance to the modern ones of the 60's & 70's, this one I don't see it.
  • Like 1

I'm sorry but what is slick about this buildimg? That theres a curve to the building? Sorry not trying to be rude but we in Houston have set our standards so low.

This building looks like its from the 1970s

When I think of 70s Houston architecture I think of Pennzoil Place, which is not a bad thing. Most of the monumental high rise architecture in Houston was built in the 80s, just as the oil glut was happening.

Naturally I'd like it to be taller. I like the orientation of the tower.  If the east side was not flush with the podium, the tower would give more of the appearance of jutting out at an angle. It has a generous plaza area on the Travis side, which is not evident from the original rendering. Also, it appears that street level on Main will have generous retail spaces, but I can't quite tell yet from these photos. Also, as Tiger Eye's photo indicate, it looks like they are putting a rooftop garden on top of the garage, which probably helped with the LEED certification. 

• Like 3

Feed-the-homeless.jpg

come on HAIF, please let us not resort to arrogance in regards to our homeless population.  for all of you that may not be abreast of the current national pulse...

houston, is now being looked upon as a national model in dealing with our homeless population.  many many accolades, are now being extended to city management in regards to the overall balance, courtesy, respect, and overall professionalism being 

presented to this city's homeless.  therefore, please JUDGE NOT, LEST YE BE JUDGED.  and if this still doesn't work....

love is always the key....

Ignoring the reality is more harmful to the homeless people than trying to be nice about it. The truth being that there are a lot of people who are uncomfortable around homeless people. Even more, they are uncomfortable around homeless people when they are confronted by them. Be it for a bit of pocket change, or whatever.

Telling people they shouldn't be afraid of some homeless people (I mean, really, what are the chances that a homeless guy is going to genuinely threaten someone, as opposed to a non-homeless person?) won't change their pre-conceived notions, they just have to experience it a time or two to get the picture.

Believe it or not, there are also people out there who are going to be negative towards homeless people as well. They don't want to be around them, they don't want to see them. Rather than us being all coy about it, we should talk about how we can change these peoples perceptions. I think that will do the most good considering Houston has excellent support networks in place already to take care of these people. The key to swaying them I would imagine should also be through love and not judging them. Right?

• Like 2

Ignoring the reality is more harmful to the homeless people than trying to be nice about it. The truth being that there are a lot of people who are uncomfortable around homeless people. Even more, they are uncomfortable around homeless people when they are confronted by them. Be it for a bit of pocket change, or whatever.

Telling people they shouldn't be afraid of some homeless people (I mean, really, what are the chances that a homeless guy is going to genuinely threaten someone, as opposed to a non-homeless person?) won't change their pre-conceived notions, they just have to experience it a time or two to get the picture.

Believe it or not, there are also people out there who are going to be negative towards homeless people as well. They don't want to be around them, they don't want to see them. Rather than us being all coy about it, we should talk about how we can change these peoples perceptions. I think that will do the most good considering Houston has excellent support networks in place already to take care of these people. The key to swaying them I would imagine should also be through love and not judging them. Right?

This discussion reminded me of this scene from The Simpsons.

https://youtu.be/M9CnqoUB5xM

• Like 1