Regent Square: Mixed-Use On Allen Parkway At Dunlavy St.

Travel_n_Transport

I think part of the problem is Dunlavy. I'd willingly walk from Westheimer to this development if I knew I could stroll and feel comfortable with nice wide sidewalks. Also Phase II is crucial in making this feel better for people. It's sort of on an island at the moment because the infrastructure still sucks. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is an example of how not to develop a large scale project. This has been an embarrasment since they first took down the existing residential properties. They might not have been the best looking or well maintained, but a lot of people were happy living there. Now what, 15 years later, this is all they have to show for their lack of efforts. Pathetic. Total ineptitude.

And meanwhile just next door Hanover has built out a major portion of their project in less than 5 years.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, bobruss said:

This is an example of how not to develop a large scale project. This has been an embarrasment since they first took down the existing residential properties. They might not have been the best looking or well maintained, but a lot of people were happy living there. Now what, 15 years later, this is all they have to show for their lack of efforts. Pathetic. Total ineptitude.

And meanwhile just next door Hanover has built out a major portion of their project in less than 5 years.

At least they kind of learned a lesson (???) by not preemptively tearing down the rest of the Allen House apartments for future phases (that'll probably never come).

I also find it amusing they took a step backwards in momentum/progress lately because at least in a few times over  '21 & '22 they tried some social events (movie night, farmers market) on the empty plot of Regent Square but I guess it wasn't popular enough or they realized folks aren't keen in hanging in an empty block.

Edited by AS_

Posted (edited)

I placed a call to one of the contacts listed on Regent Square's website asking about renderings for the future blocks and I was told:

There are none, but they will be similar to what is constructed on the finished block, and not the 2009 renderings,  and that there are NO IMMEDIATE PLANS to start construction on the new phase.

I also cleaned up the development map, for that area, for projects that are 'Under Construction' or 'On The Boards'.

I'm anticipating, that at some point (when- nobody, knows) the Post Office site and he Kroger's site will be in play.

Imagine HEB building a large mixed use grocery + residential building on the Kroger's site similar to the one on Washington.

and YES! the market can support it, both the HEB, on West Alabama and Washington, are always packed and this one would capture the Kroger's customers. 

image.png.00d812544de89a2f6b0e7dfe4cea36f5.png

Edited by shasta
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, shasta said:

I placed a call to one of the contacts listed on Regent Square's website asking about renderings for the future blocks and I was told:

There are none, but they will be similar to what is constructed on the finished block, and not the 2009 renderings,  and that there are NO IMMEDIATE PLANS to start construction on the new phase.

I also cleaned up the development map, for that area, for projects that are 'Under Construction' or 'On The Boards'.

I'm anticipating, that at some point (when- nobody, knows) the Post Office site and he Kroger's site will be in play.

Imagine HEB building a large mixed use grocery + residential building on the Kroger's site similar to the one on Washington.

and YES! the market can support it, both the HEB, on West Alabama and Washington, are always packed and this one would capture the Kroger's customers. 

image.png.00d812544de89a2f6b0e7dfe4cea36f5.png

Keep in mind that there is also a Whole Foods in the area. But if the Kroger can survive, an HEB definitely could. And then maybe that'd put that Kroger out of its misery and provide a nice redevelopment opportunity for something to actually front West Gray there.

• Like 2

On 5/23/2024 at 8:38 AM, Texasota said:

Given how much Amazon has driven Whole Foods into the ground I would no longer consider them competition for HEB.

Whole Foods is doing fine. Its always busy. I'm in there all the time.

Mexican Sugar.

kyCOVFA.jpeg

7bjDFrb.jpeg

This extended boom fork lift is new on this site, I'm guessing they are using it to hoist these metal beams on top of Mexican Sugar, maybe for a shade canopy or support for a roof top patio?

FM9Q2Aa.jpeg

The derecho knocked over lots of construction fencing/netting all around town.

DuhAW3A.jpeg

36IMpef.jpeg

• Like 9