Historic Houston Images

Duce

Now, I'm left wondering about that tie!   Was it truly some sort of Texas fashion statement at the time?

I tried to go to the "networkedblogs" site but the link to HaAyR didn't work.

Since the three men were in the produce business, could they have developed it into Grocer's Supply....

Great photos, thanks for posting.

The earlier flood photo has Henke & Pillot - Largest Grocer's (poss. address - 302 Milam in 1925) and Ship Channel Drug Co. I have viewed some photos of both floods. Second one got the city's attention, in a big way. It prompted Sears to build the S. Main St. store. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Edited by NenaE

• 3 months later...

Hardy at Opelousas - Old Fifth Ward

Hardy_at_Opelousas.jpg

Hardy at Opelousas - Second View

hardy_at_opelousas_2nd_view.jpg

Brays Bayou - Daniel Shipman Labor Survey

Brays_Bayou_Shipman.jpg

isuredid or someone... do you have any idea what this buildings name was? It's very old.I recently ran across it on GoogleEarth, was intrigued.

Edited by NenaE

• 5 months later...

This place has been dead for the past couple of weeks. I guess everyone is out of town or busy Christmas shopping.

When I was living in the city I always had a convertible and thus I was always ask to be in the parades around town. I was living off the Gulf Fwy. near Almeda mall and had a friend that was the chamber maid for the city of South Houston chamber of commerce. She would always ask me to bring my convertible and participate in the Christmas parade and other parades throughout the year. It was a pretty big event for the small city of S. Houston and fun was had by all. I have searched but can't find any pictures of the Christmas parade, but did find a couple of another parade in the Pasadena area.

post-11998-0-34009100-1419354812_thumb.j

That one is the Brady House (HAIF mention here). It's got tax issues etc. and so apparently is in legal limbo. The interior is pretty much gutted and there had been a small fire on the 3rd floor.

Great set of photos, isuredid. Preservation is helped by awareness and most Houstonians never notice old buildings still lingering so they are seldom missed once gone.

I see that the old gal is for sale again on HAR... low 200's. 

• 3 weeks later...

Building at Hardy & Opelousas and RR tracks was standing on unpaved road in year 1896. Sanborn Reference #63 posted on U.T. Perry Castenada Map Collection.  (I'm making an educated guess here, with that 3 referring to 3-story structure). See isuredid's post 74 for the better photos of the old building.

post-5666-0-26697500-1421290046_thumb.jp

Edited by NenaE
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

It's near that you stil have that sticker! I can check some other directories later, but I checked quickly and saw a listing at this address in a 1930's directory for "Oxford Street Service Station".

Sad to say I was doing some searching and came across this post and figured I would update everyone.  Some time between Oct 2012 and Oct 2013 that station was demolished along with the whole corner of that street with all the houses.

Really sucks as I have not gotten to get a photo of my car in front of the building.  I didn't even bring it home from my grandmothers house till August 2014.

• 11 months later...
On April 9, 2009 at 8:11 PM, Rusty_S said:

If anyone is interested I have two names for the above station which was not really a station by itself it was also a shop.

The very first name I have heard given to this i "Shauer's Garage". Came from family members seeing as my Grandfather bough gas and had some maintance done from them.

But theres still a sticker on the door of the car that says the following.

Harley R. Weyand

Gulf

1402 Oxford St

Houston, Texas

862-1584

The service sticker is dated 10-25-79. So it is fully possible that this "station" used to b Shauer's Garage and then became Harley R. Weyand Gulf. Either way I have phyical proof that it was atleast Harley R. Weyand Gulf station that also did services. The sticker said the transmission and axle was checked.

Schauer was the name. Weyand was his son-in-law who took over when Schauer retired after almost 50 years as a Gulf station.

Edited by Andy Dufresne

23 minutes ago, Andy Dufresne said:

Schauer was the name. Weyand was his son-in-law who took over when Schauer retired after almost 50 years as a Gulf station.

That is what I found out a couple months ago when I had the pleasure of talking to the daughter of Weyand.  Actually seeked me out and sent me a message.  I got confirmation that my 1979 dated service sticker was filled out by her father based off the hand writing but haven't heard back in a few months on if he recognizes the car or my grandfather.  All good information that has been noted in my notebook till I can get a proper scrap book album going.  I also have a old photo of the car in question but don't know the date but have to find it, boxes of photos have been moved around a few times so might take time.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 11/2/2006 at 8:51 PM, Guest danax said:

That one is the Brady House (HAIF mention here). It's got tax issues etc. and so apparently is in legal limbo. The interior is pretty much gutted and there had been a small fire on the 3rd floor.

Great set of photos, isuredid. Preservation is helped by awareness and most Houstonians never notice old buildings still lingering so they are seldom missed once gone.

These pix are from 30AUG17-what do y'all think? Someone living there or not? Doesn't look very livable but there is a trash can and a mailbox.

IMAG4320.jpg

IMAG4321-1.jpg

Edited by OjazosNegros

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/14/2015 at 8:50 PM, NenaE said:

Building at Hardy & Opelousas and RR tracks was standing on unpaved road in year 1896. Sanborn Reference #63 posted on U.T. Perry Castenada Map Collection.  (I'm making an educated guess here, with that 3 referring to 3-story structure). See isuredid's post 74 for the better photos of the old building.

post-5666-0-26697500-1421290046_thumb.jp

GoogleEarth tells me this really old building and its younger side building are no longer standing... shame... Windows hint  at an extremely old build date.

• 3 months later...
6 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

Downtown Houston, 1929

Photo was taken where the Buffalo  Bayou hike and bike trail exist today, near 45. The Bayou looked pretty rough back then.

high_res_d

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc504919/m1/1/high_res_d/

Wow, so much stuff gone now. The foreground across the Bayou appears to be what is now the Wortham Center and Sesquicentennial Park. That would be Preston street bridge. Possibly taken from the roof of the Tennison Hotel? The Bayou was seriously concreted back then. Guess they got tired of all the flooding. 

10 hours ago, Sunstar said:

Wow, so much stuff gone now. The foreground across the Bayou appears to be what is now the Wortham Center and Sesquicentennial Park. That would be Preston street bridge. Possibly taken from the roof of the Tennison Hotel? The Bayou was seriously concreted back then. Guess they got tired of all the flooding. 

Note the pipes that drain runoff into the bayou. How polluted did the bayou end up getting at its peak?

10 hours ago, IronTiger said:

Note the pipes that drain runoff into the bayou. How polluted did the bayou end up getting at its peak?

For all intents and purposes, it was an open sewer - as was the case with many, many waterways before the Clean Water Act in the early 70s.  What is now the Buffalo Bayou Regatta started out as the Reeking Regatta.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:26 AM, Urbannizer said:

Downtown Houston, 1929

Photo was taken where the Buffalo  Bayou hike and bike trail exist today, near 45. The Bayou looked pretty rough back then.

high_res_d

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc504919/m1/1/high_res_d/

This was the farmer's market in the foreground to the right, which extended over the bayou. You can see the long canopies. I believe several other buildings around it also had produce shops.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/29/2019 at 3:47 PM, Urbannizer said:

I wonder which corner this building occupied. Bremond dead-ends into Main at this intersection; however, the block opposite Bremond (west side of Main) is currently occupied by Central Cadillac, which probably was built soon after the Houston Auditorium was demolished. 

2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I wonder which corner this building occupied. Bremond dead-ends into Main at this intersection; however, the block opposite Bremond (west side of Main) is currently occupied by Central Cadillac, which probably was built soon after the Houston Auditorium was demolished. 

Sam White Oldsmobile opened in 1951 in the building currently occupied by Central Cadillac. There was a Swamplot piece that had a bit more info on it last year:

Your Next Best Bets for Houston’s Most Historic Car Dealership Building Once 1621 Milam Gets Demolished

That still leaves the question of what, if anything, was there between 1937 and 1951.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Sam White Oldsmobile opened in 1951 in the building currently occupied by Central Cadillac. There was a Swamplot piece that had a bit more info on it last year:

Your Next Best Bets for Houston’s Most Historic Car Dealership Building Once 1621 Milam Gets Demolished

That still leaves the question of what, if anything, was there between 1937 and 1951.

In 1940, 2518 and 2520 Main were vacant. 2501 was South Main Chevrolet Used Cars, 2519 was Main-McGowen Service Station

In 1942, 2520 was LeBlanc's Restaurant

City directories are pretty sparse until the 50's. Sam White himself lived at 202 Millbrook in 1956

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ross said:

In 1940, 2518 and 2520 Main were vacant. 2501 was South Main Chevrolet Used Cars, 2519 was Main-McGowen Service Station

In 1942, 2520 was LeBlanc's Restaurant

City directories are pretty sparse until the 50's. Sam White himself lived at 202 Millbrook in 1956

Interesting. 202 Millbrook is in Piney Point Village. I assume the area in and around the Memorial Villages would have been at least semi-rural back in the 50s, well before the later waves of development extended their reach that far from the city's center.