Historic Houston Images

Duce

BTW someone may be interested in this shot of pecan park (musicman? danax? oops)

Southmayd Elementary is center right with the circle drive. Redwood st. in foreground

so did garland go through to 75th in those days? this makes me think otherwise..

EDIT: i see the church on redwood is still there.

Edited by musicman

Yes, looks like Main Street, looking north from approximately where the Audrey Jones Beck building is now located (the "new" MFAH building.)

The "Street with traffic" picture appears to be Allen Parkway, coming into downtown.

Memorial Drive. I remember reading something on the history of Otto's on Memorial when I was there - when they opened in 1950, Memorial was still a dirt road. That looks like too primitive a roadway to be West Gray at that time (and there would have been development along the street, not trees) and surely the street in front of the Sear's store on Buffalo Drive was more improved than that 17 years after it originally opened. The dip in the background would be about where the Police Memorial is off to the left, I think.

BTW, great pics, tmariar, thanks for the post.

Edited by brucesw

Some notes from my research:

October 17, 1946, Houston Press, p. 5 noted the October 21 issue of Life would feature Houston. I remember I wanted to see if I could find a copy of the mag to see what it said but I never got around to it. I wonder how many of these pics made it into the mag and what the text said.

October 3, 1946 - Houston Press, p. 1 - the Saturday Evening Post in a feature article predicted Houston would be the 4th largest city in the nation by 1950! We were 21st in 1940. I wondered if that was a typo in the Press?

Chronicle - Continental Bus Station @ 300 Travis, formerly City Hall - a fire on 4/20/46. I think the company was Bowen Trailways which became a part of the Continental Trailways system..

Memorial Drive. I remember reading something on the history of Otto's on Memorial when I was there - when they opened in 1950, Memorial was still a dirt road. That looks like too primitive a roadway to be West Gray at that time (and there would have been development along the street, not trees) and surely the street in front of the Sear's store on Buffalo Drive was more improved than that 17 years after it originally opened. The dip in the background would be about where the Police Memorial is off to the left, I think.

BTW, great pics, tmariar, thanks for the post.

you are probably right about being too primitive for w.gray

after looking at THIS picture..i think it Buffalo drive/Allen Pkwy...maybe that part just past the Sabine bridge in the background

Edited by gnu

where and when was there a monorail in houston? i have lived here almost all my life and i don't recall seeing one.

Here is a short piece about Arrowhead Park (on Old Spanish Trail) and the monorail prototype.

Anyone know what the roller coaster is in the background of this monorail shot?

October 17, 1946, Houston Press, p. 5 noted the October 21 issue of Life would feature Houston. I remember I wanted to see if I could find a copy of the mag to see what it said but I never got around to it. I wonder how many of these pics made it into the mag and what the text said.

In the years for which I saw photos of Houston, they were generally on a particular subject. The article in 1946 must have been just a general article about Houston, though, as there were many 1946 photos taken by the same photographer, but of different things around town.

Here's another 1946 aerial of downtown to complement the one above.

And another.

Another.

A photo of the intersection of Main and McKinney. The empty lot is where the First Presbyterian church (in the background in this Carnegie Library postcard) had stood - it was destroyed by fire in 1932.

A shot looking over the Foley Bros. construction site, and up the 1100 block toward the bayou.

Area around Sam Houston statue.

Area around the (then) new Navy Hospital.

Another 1946 aerial, of a subdivision I can't identify.

Ditto.

Unidentified street/houses.

House/insurance company.

Stretch of ship channel with some residential.

There are a bunch more than what I've posted here, so y'all should look for yourselves. There are so many different random shots - like Jesse Jones and Glenn McCarthy playing cards - the scope is nearly as broad as the Bob Bailey collection.

i think it's playland park shown here

Thanks. That was my guess, but others know way more about Playland Park than I do.

Edited by tmariar

i think it's playland park shown here

I agree with Musicman, Playland Park. Saw a previous article about the monorail, was south of Astrodome area.

One subdivision pic, tmariar, was Pecan Park, gnu identified it, already.

Edited by NenaE

arrowhead park near main and OST in 56, but only for less than a yr.

thanks for the info. it was there before i was born. i asked my dad and he remembers it. he said he can't understand why they didn't pursue it and build it out. that was when houston was forward thinking and innovative, unlike now a major metropolitan area without a decent light rail system like atlanta, san francisco, denver, salt lake, dallas.

The "Street with traffic" picture appears to be Allen Parkway, coming into downtown.
I think its West Gray instead of Allen Parkway - comparing it to where City Hall is.

West Gray is approximately 11 blocks from City Hall, at its closest point.

West Gray is approximately 11 blocks from City Hall, at its closest point.

oops...i just realized my typo...i meant West DALLAS! duh!

anyways.. after seeing this picture i think changed my mind to allen pkwy too

you are probably right about being too primitive for w.gray (meant DALLAS - sorry)

after looking at THIS picture..i think it Buffalo drive/Allen Pkwy...maybe that part just past the Sabine bridge in the background

Edited by gnu

Wasn't it on Westheimer, near Fountainview. I think in a building that later became Mama's or some diner type place.

Actually there is still a Christie's at that location. I guess what I'm asking is.....is that the same location as in this old picture? If so, it's an interesting look at what Westheimer looked like.

Actually there is still a Christie's at that location. I guess what I'm asking is.....is that the same location as in this old picture? If so, it's an interesting look at what Westheimer looked like.

When i moved to Houston back in '68, I seem to remember a Christie's somewhere along South Main around the Holcumbe (sp?) area?

Edited by Dub

When i moved to Houston back in '68, I seem to remember a Christie's somewhere along South Main around the Holcumbe (sp?) area?

Christie's history

Somewhere on one of the threads about defunct restaurants or Main Street here on HAIF there is an exact address and an aerial view but I believe the Med Center location referred to in 1939 was right at Main and Holcombe.

There was also a Christies on Bellaire at Rampart but I understand that was not actually the same people.

Westheimer was a two lane black top road with deep ditches along both sides at least until the mid 1960's, so there was no street scene like this back then, just empty land.

The Christie's location shown in the Life photo is definently South Main. The street light pole gives it away. In fact there is one of these street light poles still standing, on Main Street in front of the Baylor Clinic Building. The lamp has been retrofitted with a modern "cobra head" fixture but the pole is exactly the same as shown in the Christie's photo. If you walk across the level two crosswalk going from O'Quinn Tower to the Baylor Clinic it will be on your left just outside the window as you cross on to the west side of the street. I saw it yesterday.