Historic Houston Images

Duce

I've started adding some of the pictures from this thread to the Towrs architecture wiki in order to preserve them for whomever might find them of interest in the future.

Here's the Texas and New Orleans Railroad shops article:

http://www.towrs.com/wiki/index.php/Texas_..._Railroad_shops

For those of you unfamiliar with wikis, they're web sites that allow anyone to add information and update them to keep them current.

I'd like to get as many endangered Houston buildings on there as possible before they're gone. Many people find HAIF because they're looking for things from the past. If we can record what's left it will help people down the line.

They have a blueprint style large map in the Texas Room of the Ideson library of the entire layout of the Texas and New Orleans Rail Road Yard and shops. I don't remember the year of the map, but it is interesting to see how everything was organized.

Edited by isuredid

Kirby Lumber on Canal Street

Kirby_Lumber_Canal_Street.jpg

Happy 100 Tony Saragusa Building - 1906-2006 - Canal Street

Tony_Saragusa_1906.jpg

Old Filling Station - Harrisburg at Lockwood

Filling_Station_Lockwood.jpg

St. Vincent's Church - Jensen at Navigation

St.jpg

Here is another fine example of "the final decision rests with the final purchaser"

The Historic Robinson Warehouse (Original Houston Sears) being destroyed

Robinson_Warehouse_Destroyed.jpg

Edited by isuredid

Anyone have any idea what 4819 Harrisburg was?

In 1966, 4819 Harrisberg was Sterling Laundry and Cleaning. Also on that block were Barton's Tire Service at 4801, Commercial Refrigeration at 4805, Neighborhood Appliance at 4809, Johnny's Used Cars at 4810, and Don't Forget It Lounge at 4814 Harrisburg Blvd. .

4819_Harrisburg.jpg

Packard's Steam Laundry/Scholibo and Henry Brahear Buildings - Prarie St.

Packards_Laundry_Brashear_Building.jpg

This looks like the same building that appears down the street, to the right, on Prairie, in the horse and buggy photo of your previous post of the old Stegeman building.

Telephone_Road_Bridge.jpg

Stunning. I have to get there possibly this weekend.

There are several of that style around. Another one is on Wayside just south of Polk. They ought to be cleaned up and designated as landmarks, if possible.