Historic Houston Images

Duce

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I also went there as a kid. My husband thinks it's just a figmant of my imagination. I am so glad that others remember it. I would love to see photos of it.

Peppermint Park! Oh My! We used to go to birthday parties there, and I remember one time when me and my sister must have been 5 & 7 rode the tiny rollercoaster outside, and it felt like the Texas Tornado at the time! We were so scared! It was originally located near the Gulfgate Mall, back in the 60s! What memories. I would love to have a photo of that place!

Not to split hairs, but...

The Texas Ave. Majestic on the "Chronicle Block" was actually the second Majestic Theatre in Houston. It opened on February 21, 1910.

The first Majestic Theatre was in converted retail space at 1306 Congress Ave. It began operation about 1905.

The third and final Majestic opened in January, 1923. Designed by John Eberson, it is widely believed to have been the first of his "atmospheric" theatre designs.

Bill Bremer

Not to split hairs, but...

The Texas Ave. Majestic on the "Chronicle Block" was actually the second Majestic Theatre in Houston. It opened on February 21, 1910.

The first Majestic Theatre was in converted retail space at 1306 Congress Ave. It began operation about 1905.

The third and final Majestic opened in January, 1923. Designed by John Eberson, it is widely believed to have been the first of his "atmospheric" theatre designs.

Bill Bremer

The "Chronicle Block" is that in refrence to when Jesse Jones owned the Houston Chronicle and built around and over the theater.

The "Chronicle Block" is that in refrence to when Jesse Jones owned the Houston Chronicle and built around and over the theater.

Yes, that and the fact that the Houston Chronicle building sits on that particular block of land.

Immediately after the Majestic Theatre on Rusk opened, in 1923, the Majestic on Texas Ave. became a "stock" theatre and was re-christened "The Palace". A stock theatre was one in which a regular group of actors performed plays on stage. The stock company at the Palace in 1923 was called "The Majestic Players"

I've attached an ad for their first performance:

post-530-1170302382.gif

Here's another ad for the opening of the Majestic on Rusk in January, 1923:

post-530-1170302543.gif

Notice it's mostly all live vaudeville acts.

Edited by billbremer

I don't remember the Carrousel, but I do have an old postcard of it. Great mid-century period architecture. The office/restaurant pavillion had one of those googie-type zig-zag roofs. The Carrousel was known for being the defendent in an important civil rights lawsuit in the 1960s. All that's left are the foundations.

Hi I use to live in the Carrousel Apartments just behind the hotel in the late 1950'5 early 1960's at Gulfgate. Would you be able to post the photo that you have of the Hotel i would love to see it. Also if you have any other photos of 1960's Gulfgate and Houston I would love to see them posted as I am a native and have many memories of these places but just no photos of them. I still live in Houston, alas the only thing of Gulfgate left is the Bridge, Peppermint Park has been gone for eons.

Thanks,

Clyde :D

:) Yes, I haven't thought of that place in years.......

my elementary class used to go there..........when i was, i think, in about 3rd-4th grade........i remember, they played the Star Wars theme all the time......

What about Peppermint Park?

m.

Just for your information the restaurant you mention as the Boston Sea Party was originally called the Godfather restaurant and had waiters that stood around and made you nervous like in the movie, it was italian food of course. Also for fun, Caligulas which I think is now the Penthouse Club on Winrock at Westheimer was originally built as the Spagetti Store Restaurant in the 1970's. The place on the corner now called Baby Dolls was originally an Alfie's Fish N Chip restaurant in the 1960's-70's and next door to it was Shakey's Pizza Parlor , all before these became strip clubs. Oh the Boston Sea party is now the Molina's Restaurant.

Clyde

Hi I use to live in the Carrousel Apartments just behind the hotel in the late 1950'5 early 1960's at Gulfgate. Would you be able to post the photo that you have of the Hotel i would love to see it. Also if you have any other photos of 1960's Gulfgate and Houston I would love to see them posted as I am a native and have many memories of these places but just no photos of them. I still live in Houston, alas the only thing of Gulfgate left is the Bridge, Peppermint Park has been gone for eons.

Thanks,

Clyde :D

There is a thread about the Carrousel here. Try the search function - there are a number of discussions about the old Gulfgate and pictures of Houston from the 1960s.

Welcome to HAIF!

• 4 weeks later...
If you have photos of these places and/or memorabilia from them, please post.

Shamrock Hotel

Kiddie Wonderland

Peppermint Park

Sea Arama

The Pig

The old baseball stadium where fingers is now (forgot the name)

2j0hugm.jpg

• 3 months later...

Sea Arama sure brings back some (vague) childhood memories... I must have been around 3 or 4 years old, and I want to say my step-father was friends with the owner for some reason (Does anyone know who owned SA?). We were there practically every weekend, and it was awesome!

• 2 weeks later...
Time to dig out the photo album and do some scanning. I will post some as soon as I can get thim digitized.

Yes, I hope that you have some of the Joske's and the Sakowitz in old Gulfgate. Seeing them would bring back memories. Would you happen to have some of closed-down drive-in movie theatres?

Yes, I hope that you have some of the Joske's and the Sakowitz in old Gulfgate. Seeing them would bring back memories. Would you happen to have some of closed-down drive-in movie theatres?

Doubt I have anything other than Kiddie Wonderland. I spent a lot of my childhood there. I will check though. My parents were in the area and there may be other things.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't know if anyone still reads this, but I will give it a shot. I am not old enough to remember playland park, or most of these places, but I do know about the kiddie park with the "tired old ponies" that was over by Braeswood.

Kiddie Wonderland was off S. Main and Kirby. I think the actual location was 7800 S. Main, if my memory is correct. In the 80's and early 90's there was a carousel, a train that went around the park, a boat ride, airplane ride, car ride (had all the bases covered), a petting zoo, and the ring on the side for the ponies, who were actually more ornery than tired. There was also one donkey named Jack who pulled a wagon. My favorite horse was Tippy, a brown and white shetland pony who always refused to trot. In about 1989, the carousel got smaller. This is because they sold the one they had to the Texas Renaissance Festival. TRF still uses this carousel, though the horses have been replaced. Kiddie Wonderland had this cute multicolored wooden fence around the front and a little shack where you bought tickets for the rides. Often, 2 adorable little girls could be seen "working" the ticket booth. That place held great memories for me.

If anyone is looking for pictures of the place, I have some. I would have to scan them in because they are in a photo album right now, but I can do so easily. Just send me a note and let me know.

Thanks for the offer. I would like any pics I can find on Joseph F. Meyer Speedway. Pics of the track, cars people etc.

Jim Koehn

jakdad@yahoo.com

Guest Marty
Thanks for the offer. I would like any pics I can find on Joseph F. Meyer Speedway. Pics of the track, cars people etc.

Jim Koehn

jakdad@yahoo.com

There are some pics in the Meyerland Speedway thread in the Historic Houston section, I tried to post the link but was unsuccessful, click on the search button on top of the page and type in Meyerland Speedway.

Edited by Marty

• 1 month later...

I'd still love to see some pictures of hana barbera land.

I could have SWORN it was in Sugarland or out that way.

Also, does anyone have any pictures of the hold castle hotel/apartments that was on 59 just north of Sharpstown Mall?

Someone mentioned that the restaurant in the picture with the Shamrock Hotel was Christie's Seafood. I thought the Shamrock was at Holcombe. Christie's is on Westhiemer by Texadelphia and Mama's cafe and has been for decades. A client of mine used to own it.

I'd still love to see some pictures of hana barbera land.

I could have SWORN it was in Sugarland or out that way.

it was north of houston where splashtown is:

Taft/KECO opened the Hanna Barbera Land park in Houston Texas in 1984. The park was a failure, due to its limited demographic and insufficient budget. The kiddie coaster that was located there (Scooby Doo) was relocated to Great America, where it stands as Runaway Reptar today. The park was closed after the 1986 season, and today is a water park known as Splashtown, which is owned by Six Flags.

http://www.kicentral.com/history/development.php

I would like to buy some large photos and/or prints that I would like to frame that capture images from historic Houston. Specifically, I'm looking for downtown shots of Houston near the beginning of its history, the Astrodome during construction, old photos of Rice University, and possibly some photos of oil derricks from the turn of the century.

Does anyone know of a place that might have something like this? The thought would be to frame them and put them up on my walls at home.

I would like to buy some large photos and/or prints that I would like to frame that capture images from historic Houston. Specifically, I'm looking for downtown shots of Houston near the beginning of its history, the Astrodome during construction, old photos of Rice University, and possibly some photos of oil derricks from the turn of the century.

Does anyone know of a place that might have something like this? The thought would be to frame them and put them up on my walls at home.

Try this place.. Sloane Gallery on Fondren. I've been there. He has a great collection of old photos.

Try this place.. Sloane Gallery on Fondren. I've been there. He has a great collection of old photos.

i'll second Sloane Gallery - wonderful pictures from photographer Calvin Wheat that Story Sloane salvaged and is trying to preserve - here is a little background on Wheat: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/houpub/00064/hpub-00064.html

• 4 weeks later...