Historic Houston Images

Duce

gonzo, i'm really enjoying the blogs in the chron., especially the then and now pictures.

i agree, i think it's the same pony in ALL the pictures of little kids...

i realized when looking at the pony picture, i have my own then and now too...

i have the picture of me on the pony in the late 50's in cottage grove, and who would have thought years later, that little kid would be named the US National Champion with her own horses several times, especially with one that was spotted too...

more then and now pictures please...thanks :rolleyes:

I have no idea. Probably didnt have no one going to those businesses and slowly just got sold off or abandoned and then torn down. In the 2006 picture it looks like there is alot of missing grass patches if those buildings were torn down a long time I would think that the grass would have covered all the area by now.

That is what makes vintage photos so good. I have a small collection now from specific photos I saved between 1950 - 1970.

I think those missing patches is concrete foundation.

I used to spend a lot of time in this area as a young police reporter and I heard some wild tales about it before I ever saw it from an old Houston cop I used to know. This is the "Little Pearl Harbor" section made famous by its vice rackets and killings and by blues singers like Weldon "Juke Boy" Bonner who wrote songs about it.

The area was in very sad shape as far back as 1980 when I first saw it: lots of abandoned and burned out buildings. It was essentially an urban ruin back then created by the drug plague. Crime drove a lot of people out. Dopers would squat in the empty buildings and burn them down. The owners didn't have the money or the will to rebuild and the place was just wiped out. Same thing is happening in inner city Detroit where there are so many open, unpopulated areas that wildlife are moving back into them.

I drove back to this section of Fifth Ward earlier this year and was stunned at the block and blocks of empty lots where the grass is reclaiming the sidewalks and even the streets.

• 1 month later...
Pasadena_Street.jpg

Is this house and the other colonial mansion still around?

I grew up 3 doors down from this house on the corner of Pasadena and Satsuma. For most of my life it was a room and board house but I believe in the late 80s or early 90s it was purchased by a frat. My mom told me that she talked with someone with the frat and they were planning on restoring the house to original condition. He also told her that they had found a set of original blueprints when they cleaned out the cellar. I guess they didn't get around to fixing the place up. I think it was built around 1902. There are a few old mansions in this neighborhood on Alta Vista and Forest Hill but none are Colonials. This area was supposed to have been like another River Oaks but instead ended up a middle class neighborhood.

I grew up 3 doors down from this house on the corner of Pasadena and Satsuma. For most of my life it was a room and board house but I believe in the late 80s or early 90s it was purchased by a frat. My mom told me that she talked with someone with the frat and they were planning on restoring the house to original condition. He also told her that they had found a set of original blueprints when they cleaned out the cellar. I guess they didn't get around to fixing the place up. I think it was built around 1902. There are a few old mansions in this neighborhood on Alta Vista and Forest Hill but none are Colonials. This area was supposed to have been like another River Oaks but instead ended up a middle class neighborhood.

That same bldg is discussed in East End section under structures past & present I think? I also remember seeing the frat logo hanging above the entry in the 80', 90's? Sure is almost exact image of famed Animal House and it probably was. :D

Forest Hill is a one of a kind neighborhood which must have been built up in the cities true heyday. Very similar to the old and once beautiful nabes in Dallas. Newcomers should BUY/live here.

"Does anyone remember the old restaruant at 6400 Richmond that used to be train cars. I think it waa cheesy steakhouse. What was that place called?"

Could that be where the Railhead Restaurant was located. That may have been my first time out to the Richmond Strip in 1978. A supervisor took a co-worker and me out for dinner in appreciation of our work.

Subdude, you wouldn't by chance have pictures of the old Windsor theater would you? Always wanted to know what that place looked like. I worked there when it was a tejano nightclub. (still turns my stomach whenever I think about it). Used to always wonder about it when I was there.

Is that the current location of 24-Hour Fitness or Galaxy Golf?

Don't know anything about Galaxy Golf -- it's not listed in the phone book -- but it's not the 24 Hour Fitness location.

That's down the street in the 5700 block of Richmond. The late great Windsor Theater was at 5302 Richmond, at the eastern-most end of the Windsor Plaza shopping center, almost at the corner of Richmond and Post Oak.

It was shut down for some years, but some entrepreneurs bought it in the 90s and turned it into an entertainment complex they called City Lights.

I have no idea what is there now. Or if the theater building is even there any more. So sad. The Windsor was one of Houston's first Cinerama and Panavision screen movie houses, and showed first runs of many of the greatest movies of the 60s, 70s and 80s. It was really grand and expansive on the inside with a decor that would knock your eyes out.

I'd love to find any period photos of the OUTSIDE/entrances of some of Houston's musical night spots of decades past:

The Paladium Club (aka Jerry Irby's Texas Corral) on South Main

Dokey's Hall

Club Ebony on Dowling

Cook's Hoedown Club on Capitol

The End o' Main Dance Hall on South Main

Western Jamboree Club - 105 1/2 Main

Sixth and Studewood Dine & Dance

Roseland Ballroom on Franklin

Aragon Ballroom on Main

The Brass Rail - downtown

Any place on West Dallas or the 4th Ward

Wonder Tavern in Pearland

Harbor Lights on McCarty (vintage, not recent)

to name a few.

About the only clubs that exteriors do exist for are: The Jimmy Menutis Club, the Eldorado Ballroom, and the Club Matinee.

I'd love to find any period photos of the OUTSIDE/entrances of some of Houston's musical night spots of decades past:

Roseland Ballroom on Franklin

Aragon Ballroom on Main

Wow! You must be psychic!

Just the other day I was jogging mom's memory again and she said the local kids (teens) used to walk over to The Roseland for a dance matinee as she called it. You were allowed entry to dance to your favorite swing music till you passed out & without a chaperone!

I think she said it was during the day approx 2:00 PM to whatever, just be sure I asked where it was and she said Franklin. I wonder when it vanished? Had to have been there in mid to late 40's. At that time all they had were those giant electric fans for cooling off after dancing like crazy. The crowds would huddle around the fans like bee's. We really have it good nowadays!

PS, you may want to glance at Houston's Orchestra's and Ballrooms topic for pics. :)

In reply to various bits:

Yes, what is now Splashtown was originally opened as Hanna Barbera Land. I never went while it was HB land but they must have had to do some serious remodeling to make it into a water park.

The all-you-can-eat seafood restaurant on Westheimer was Boston Sea Party.

Yes, the train cars were Victorias Station. There was one on South Main which later became Antones.

Anyone remember Pipe Organ Pizza?

Marty

The Wikipedia article for Hanna Barbera Land was largely composed from a letter I got from the manager of Splashtown. I'll scan it someday.

I know that strip center! It wasn't in Rice Village...but it wasn't too far away. I ate at a dirty Middle Eastern buffet there. Anyone know the name?

(sorry for doubleposting)

Saw this on Swamplot: Google is apparently in the process of adding about 10 million photos from the Life Magazine archives to its images search.

Just looking quickly (using the Google Images search "houston 1946 source:life"), I've already seen some great large 1946 Houston shots I'd never seen before, including:

The old city hall/bus station, and surrounding area.

Christie's Seafood

A view inside the Cotton Exchange

San Felipe Courts/Allen Parkway Village

A Sears store being built

A "McCarthy Center" sign

A sign showing the site for the Ford plant

A sign showing the site for the Medical Center

The Bayou Club

A great aerial

From other years (>1946):

Inside an H&P store

The Goodyear blimp advertising the Shamrock

The Houston Press welcoming MacArthur

Police officer photographing Eisenhower

Houston family during atomic war drill

The family's list of things to do in case of atomic war

The monorail: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

UofH cougar

KILT tower in front, I think, of Joske's

Funeral of last confederate soldier

Soldier when still alive, at age 116 (color)

Survivor of Poe Elementary bombing

Construction of JSC

JFK, Jackie, LBJ at LULAC convention, Nov 63

JFK and Jackie Nov 63

JFK at Houston airport Nov 63

Sammy Davis Jr. at civil rights rally in Houston

1965 crowd at trail ride opening Houston Livestock Show (color)

Mrs. Neil Armstrong at home, after Gemini 8 mission cut short

Room in Astrodome or Astrodome hotel?

Hoffeinz office, I think - same

Hoffeinz watching game

Room in Astrodome

Astrodome bowling alley?

Astrodome shooting game?

Astrodome hair stylist?

Mrs. Jim Lovell and friend (color)

Neil Armstrong, 1969, lighting a cigar (color)

Mrs. Buzz Aldrin watching coverage of splashdown (color)

Buzz Aldrin at Astroworld (color)

<1946:

Army convoy passes Houston

"A view of the River Oaks Housing Project" - same title - same - can't tell what these are

I'm sure others will find or be able to identify things I missed or got wrong. I really hope there are more old Houston photos added as the rest of the Life photos come online.

Can anyone tell what's/where's shown in these photos?:

Neighborhood

Boulevard

Street with traffic

Update: I found the above photos using "Houston 19xx source:life" Google Images searches. But it looks as though there are at least some old Houston photos in the collection that don't have a date listed, which wouldn't have come up in my search.

Edited by tmariar

Can anyone tell what's/where's shown in these photos?:

Boulevard

Street with traffic

south main??
I bet you're right.

Yes, looks like Main Street, looking north from approximately where the Audrey Jones Beck building is now located (the "new" MFAH building.)

The "Street with traffic" picture appears to be Allen Parkway, coming into downtown.

I'm guessing the "River Oaks Housing Project" shots (1, 2, 3) might be of the back of the River Oaks shopping center, and then those apartment buildings that were just south of there on Shepherd. But that's just a guess. [Edit: This undated aerial shot makes me more certain that's correct.]

I think you're probably right about the "Street with Traffic" (1946) photo, dbigtex - what was then called Buffalo Drive. Maybe the lanes headed into town are right there but blocked from view by the traffic? Here's a 1956 photo of Buffalo Drive for comparison.

Still don't have a guess on the "neighborhood" photo. Here's an old shot of River Oaks Blvd. for comparison.

Edited by tmariar
added link

The photo is dated October 1946; HCAD shows a Sears building listed at 3404 N Shepherd Dr being constructed 1950 (of course, they're notoriously sloppy about dates.)

Could that be the one?

I hadn't thought about that one - I only thought of the Buffalo Drive Sears and midtown (Main St.?) Sears, and had ruled those out. The Garden Oaks Sears is a good guess! Still there, as far as I know.

river oaks....chevy chase at mockingbird....i think.

So is that the driveway to something at the bottom of the photo? It's not as dirty as the street, whatever it is.

just added a link. think it's to a st called sleepy hollow ct.

Yep - that's got to be it.

What's the squatty building with the dome in the upper left corner of this (1946) picture?

Don't have an answer, but am I right in saying that building is on Crawford, between McKinney and Lamar? I was trying to judge based on where the Texas State Hotel is in the photo.

Edited by tmariar

Those are fabulous pics, think the Sears may have been the one on Harrisburg, I recently ran across it in the Sanborn maps, listed as being built 1946-47. That shot of the San Felipe Courts is great. You can really see huge the complex was.

The "Street with traffic" picture appears to be Allen Parkway, coming into downtown.

I think its West Gray instead of Allen Parkway - comparing it to where City Hall is.

BTW someone may be interested in this shot of pecan park (musicman? danax? oops)

Southmayd Elementary is center right with the circle drive. Redwood st. in foreground

http://tbn0.google.com/hosted/images/c?q=8...c48b65e3d_large