Historic Houston Images

Duce

What's the squatty building with the dome in the upper left corner of this (1946) picture?

Not sure what that building was - will have to look through a directory if I can get an approximate address. It appears to be right around where Discovery Green is now (5 blocks east/1 block north of Stowers or so - McKinney/Crawford area like tmariar mentioned).

I'm coming to this thread a little late in the game but thank you for posting that beautiful photo of Market Square. Why why why did they tear this down??

The old Market Square would be a huge draw today as would Westbury Square. Isn't it funny how we are reverting back to that type of shopping/entertainment areas.

Actually there is still a Christie's at that location. I guess what I'm asking is.....is that the same location as in this old picture? If so, it's an interesting look at what Westheimer looked like.

That would not be Westheimer. As I understand, the Galleria area was pastureland until the Weingarten's (Container Store) and the mall were built.

The old Market Square would be a huge draw today as would Westbury Square. Isn't it funny how we are reverting back to that type of shopping/entertainment areas.

Agree with Lunatic...just down there last week and the area is undergoing a bit of a Renaissance with Minute Maid and other venues popping up...Westbury's area is still in a transition so it may take longer especially with newer, larger stores so close...Christie's pictured is the now late/defunct S.Main location ( Oh those trout sandwiches)

I am so curious to know who designed that Bus Center? Appears to be one of Nicholas J. Clayton's works of Galveston mansions/cathedrals fame. Appears Romanesque Revival or Gothic Victorian like.

Imagine what it must have been like to walk around inside and what about the interior arts wroks or murals. Wow, wow, wow. :)

What's the squatty building with the dome in the upper left corner of this (1946) picture?

Beth Israel synagogue. It was at Crawford and Lamar.

San Felipe Courts/Allen Parkway Village

Is that the Music Hall and Coliseum on the left in the photo.

Yep. What is interesting is that there appear to be shotgun houses on Heiner across from the Sabine Street bridge. Is Buffalo Drive being widened in this?

• 2 weeks later...

20'sgirl....unfortunately or for us Westbury residents, fortunately it appears the remnants of Westbury Square may be leaving us soon. Last nite when I was driving home I noticed that the power had been cut to the entire set of buildings along W. Bellfort. I do not believe there is any activity currently takign place businesswise or residentwise in the square.

Thank goodness for Ike, he might have finally gotten rid of the eyesore.

Not sure, but pretty sure the GRB is there now.

Wasn't there a Christie's on Bellaire Blvd? In the early eighties, my family would go there quite a bit and I could have sworn it was Christie's. I think it was near Bellaire and Renwick, but can't be sure. Anybody have any ideas?

Yes there was one on Bellaire near the area you mentioned during that time period...a bit further west at Bellaire and Hillcroft was the giant GLOBE store and Sharpstown Drive In

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some pics of some buildings in downtown that I took while there for Christmas break.

The red building is the Kiam Building, 1893. The building next door is the Hub, 1900. The rest of the smaller buildings in that block date from the early 1880s.

3193465556_39887a3905_o.jpg

The Dixon Building, 1906. It was partly destroyed in the flood of 1935. I think there are now some people living in it. What a sweet building it is now though. I love it.

3193467250_b386172c95_o.jpg

The oldest building downtown, The Kennedy Bakery Building, 1860.

3193467076_b943a6a01e_o.jpg

The Gulf Building, 1932 I believe and a terribly horribly recladded building that dates from the 1910s I believe. I forget the name of it though. Man, they destroyed it in the 50s or 60s. Uhg

3195038198_4aeb8e49ed_o.jpg

The Franzheim Building, soon to be fn demolished.

3193465106_82dfda6fee_o.jpg

Starting from the left, Byrds Building 1935, next is the Reiners Building 1938, the tall one is the State National Bank Building, built in 1924. Little white building is theBarringer Norton Building, 1877. Lastly is the Public National Bank Building, 1925.

3192622757_cea3f62c55_o.jpg

Edited by photolitherland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Old Heights Gas Station

Heights_Gas_Station.jpg

If anyone is interested I have two names for the above station which was not really a station by itself it was also a shop.

The very first name I have heard given to this i "Shauer's Garage". Came from family members seeing as my Grandfather bough gas and had some maintance done from them.

But theres still a sticker on the door of the car that says the following.

Harley R. Weyand

Gulf

1402 Oxford St

Houston, Texas

862-1584

The service sticker is dated 10-25-79. So it is fully possible that this "station" used to b Shauer's Garage and then became Harley R. Weyand Gulf. Either way I have phyical proof that it was atleast Harley R. Weyand Gulf station that also did services. The sticker said the transmission and axle was checked.

• 4 months later...